September, 2012 Declutter Strategies

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

September, 2012 Declutter Strategies

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 am

Welcome and we hope you'll join us! Here in this thread we encourage each other to give 15 minutes a day (or the equivalent on other schedules) to uncover :roll: and rediscover Our Lovely Homes!

Harmony

Re: September, 2012 Declutter Strategies

Postby Harmony » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Wow, nobody has thrown anything out so far this September?

I threw out: 3 big bags of papers, 1 ruined desk pad; 2 of those tall wire baskets of papers from desk. Trying to remember what else, the outside garbage can is 3/4 full of stuff. Oh, I have a couple grocery bags full of stuff from old wall units for GW. Old units are still here, but I hope soon gone.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 am

Harmony, I quickly sorted through a big bag of sewing supplies and threw out half of it just so you wouldn't be lonely in here. ;)

I tossed waistband elastic, even though it felt like it still had stretch. It was given to me several years ago, and it was old when it was given to me, so I would not trust it to hold up my skirt or pants.

Intentions of taking burnables out of the house have been delayed. DH has not been in the mood for a fire. I need to find a watertight bin with a good strong lid that won't come off if the outside cats knock over the bin. Then I could at least take out the cardboard, and just leave the confidential papers indoors until we have a fire.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:19 am

well Christmas is coming, and I am getting plumpy and my house is too with all the things he is holding onto at the moment.
so my goal for September is to join you lovely lovely ladies and dejunk my home.

letting go (a blessing)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:19 am

great job ladies!!! hope you don't me joining you! wishing you all a wonderful day
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi blessed! It's so nice to have you here with us. Is your Mother still giving you stuff?

I got the very heavy bin wheeled out to the curb tonight. I'd added a couple more wire bins worth of papers to it late last night.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 am

One out fit went to the thrift shop last week.
Three books left as well.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I did get by GW with a couple bags of stuff. Our new wall unit is much neater and emptier than the last one. I keep paring down.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 pm

blessed, you virtually INVENTED this thread. We should all sit back and listen for your wisdom. :D

GW has a new location and it is closer to me than others, so I will have an easier time dropping off. I hate to stop giving to Kidn. Foun. but it is just so inconvenient to prepare the bags for them for exact dates/time pickups and get them out to the street, and also fielding their phone calls to line up the schedule. Just typing that I feel guilty!

I have gotten one half of a tall-kitchen-garbage-bag full of clothing for donation. I have the bed that was purchased for Orphan Cat when we didn't know how sick she was, still with tags on, ready to be given to the shelter folks the next time I am by the pet store on a weekend. Although Orphan Cat never got to use it, Tobias won't set foot in it, as though he knows it isn't his.

We are going through dd's closet and I predict the bag will fill with more things soon.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Purchase of a $10 over-the-door shoe holder in canvas-type fabric for dd's closet door. With all shoes up off the floor, my plan is to vacuum the closet to perfection, especially the floor, and have her start using her lower clothes rack for as many things as she can. I will try not to obsess if some things brush the floor, telling myself it is clean, after all. I almost bought the container store one instead of simple canvas, but it was lots more money and had complaints that it would collapse.

I'm trying to figure out a way to raise the lower rod. One side lays into a groove and could easily be raised. But the other fits into a cutout hole. Still thinking.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”