September, 2012 Declutter Strategies

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Ivy

Re: September, 2012 Declutter Strategies

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm

I just wrote about mice, from last night's experience, on PWYC. I didn't know mice were over here.

I put more clothes into the donation bags. Tomorrow :idea: I'll try on some clothes, to see if they're too large yet, if they are, I'll donate them, too. I want to rearrange my walk-in closet, so it's more orderly. Since I'm donating more things, there's more room in it and it's starting to look tidier, but I need to get turtlenecks all in the turtleneck section, instead of some in with oxford shirts, etc.. I think it'll simplify finding clothes to wear if I'm more organized.

I emptied out a bin today. I now have an empty bin, don't know what to put in it, it's in the spare room, and the sweat pants, which were in it, get donated, except I hung 4 pair up, of the nice-looking good ones, to keep for winter for when it's very cold. :idea:

I've ordered that book about cleaning it up, clearing it out, and decluttering. I can hardly wait to follow her advice and maybe then, I'll get a good idea as to what to do with the empty bin. :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am

This time of year is a great time to de-clutter weird or odd clothing, fabric, bangles hats especially with a theme that thrift shoppers can use for costumes!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm

great idea dnancy and great job divy!!!

today: cont. working in basement as dgirls need to go through their stuff. recycled a large bag of papers, organized papers to work on, put my school items in plastic see through boxes and put them on shelf.

tossed: exercise equipment not used in 10 years, got rid of some kid craft items (small box of pom pons etc) more craft stuff gone. items gone that are no longer the young mom I was. the other day tons of camping stuff donated and tossed.

papers separated items put away - all a good thing
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:48 pm

while dgirls are having time with each other I and dh emptied crawl space. (also found a dead mouse in the insulation - yuck).
I wish I had the money to cement that part of the basement. it is half the basement (high up and full of gravel.)

tossed both dog crates - we probably would have another dog one day but these have seen better days
tossed an old fan
tossed some metal things that were dh

dh is willing to touch his broken down erector set from the 1950's early 60's. most of the pieces are missing

we have all of the girls stuff separated into 2 distinct piles for them to go through
(so proud - I only had one box of decorating keep sakes and no cloths or other items. I have my books, 2 boxes of misc. craft items for ddyounger that also have my knitting needles in and NO yarn! I only am keeping at the moment crafts, some pattern books. Thank you dharriet for this site... it does work.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Have thrown out stacks of papers here!

blessed, we had a crawl space like that in our house in the midwest. It was one corner of the basement. Had forgotten about that.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Talked to h. about the concrete over spill that I'd put in buckets. H. agreed to haul it off to work they have a place for it. Yea! For a successful strataegy we got it loaded in the truck today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Did a stash and dash, now am feeling sooOOOoooo guilty! :oops: Will try to work on it this next week. Hope the clutter buster book will help, too. :idea:

The dining room table looks so much better without my large lined basket full of stuff for my writing job there. It's in the main office where it should be. At least now, if somebody "pops" in, I'll not feel embarrassed. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:04 am

Remodeling play house I have it cleared out and stuff is out sitting on the lawn in the back yard waiting to be sorted. I put toys and "stuff" in laundry baskets. Will be using saw horses when we are done with them for the chicken wire for a sorting station. That is my strategy.

It is basically an out door closet at this point. Yesterday I removed four small shelves making it seem bigger with more floor space now. Dgd really only plays with a few things for tea party time so I'll be keeping that in mind.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:35 pm

I am so proud of my dd's - 3 bags of cloths and things donated (black bags stuffed) and a bunch tossed. ddyounger really had help from dd older to let go. it's hard for her and this is huge!!!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:27 pm

I don't know if I posted here that I dropped off 60 pounds of shred mostly from our old house on Friday. Old bank statements, paid bills, etc. I think I've decided that it really makes more sense to let go of our under powered shredder and just to take the shred to the UPS store now and then for shredding.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “The Decluttered Home”