October 2012 Three-Quarter-Year Mark Declutter

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: October 2012 Three-Quarter-Year Mark Declutter

Postby BookSaver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Well, here's a silly little report.
Threw out a large container of "whipped topping" another sewing group member insisted that I bring home from last weekend's retreat. She had asked several people (including me) to bring some. I rarely buy the stuff, but took in a good name brand and it was all used up.

This tub she gave me is a generic brand. I tried some of it on a graham cracker last night -- and all I could taste was chemicals. :P

I hate throwing food in the trash, but that stuff was no good to anyone. Not even worth saving the plastic container.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Booksaver, It's too bad about the chemical taste. :o

Last night, I decluttered my office desk. I went to Debbie Macomber's site, printed up a photo of her on photo paper, put it in an oak frame for my desk. So now I see DH in his jujitsu gee (uniform, an elderly BFF and Josh Groban, the singer. I cleared the desk on that side, have a mushroom glass jar of sea shells, too, since my design in the office is Hawaiian or tropical. Debbie Macomber's blouse is pink and purple, which matches the colors in my room, like a pink orchid on bark (fake!), some pictures and a poem, grson art work, etc... I even have a pink crochet CD coaster for my coffee. I love my office now. ;) I hope it makes me come to it more often. :idea: :D

I'm still working on taming the paper clutter in my office and the main office, too. I'm the messy one in this house. :oops: DH is not a messy man. He's tidy. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Way to go booksaver! Trash day here tomorrow so I need to get the trash rounded up for that.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 am

so happy for you d Book!!!
your desk space sounds lovely!
great job on getting rid of the food too, I think we are taught from young that it is bad to toss or waste food and I found the opposite; it's better not to clutter your refrigerator and your space of things you don't like (and the body too lol).

yeah garbage day dnancy
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm

donated a french press coffee pot and my expensive mandolin slicer (I have a food processor and a little mandolin - much better).

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:29 pm

my daily dejunk of fridge
went through my monthly magazines and took out the articles or pictures I like, including recipes and put them in sheet protectors

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Ivy, your office sounds great. I like the idea of mixing personal photos and items with some that remind you of role models or interesting people. We should have things around us that offer inspiration.

Okay, experts, here's a challenge

:?: Question about an unusual declutter project :?:
I have a big bathroom declutter upcoming in the master bath. (Have had to relocate nearly everything from the entire front bathroom to here because my ddad doesn't understand the items and has started using things incorrectly.) Now all but the safest items must fit in master bath, plus it must still offer counter space for 2 adults and a displaced teen girl. Right now - countertop chaos, even windowsill chaos, frustration.

For this problem (counter/vanity that is wall-to-wall cluttered, so cabinet contents must be ruthlessly pared back to try to clear it)
what do you all think of this process:

Evacuate visible items to a sorting surface.
Clean the counter/vanity surface.
Bring back only items that belong, and organize.
Evacuate a cabinet to the sorting surface.
Clean inside that cabinet.
Bring back items that will belong there and organize.
Repeat for 2 cabinets and 3 drawers.
Assess again whether this is enough help.

My last resort, if there still isn't enough space, might be to set up some small piece of storage furniture in the master bedroom near the bathroom door to help hold everything. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Also, should I temporarily have a cardboard box ready in case I'm forced to stash-and-dash and lose my sorting surface mid-stream?

My fondest hope is that I will come up with some items I haven't thought of that can be safely kept in the front bathroom after all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 am

Harriet, I like the nearby storage idea. In old house I had some things in nearby closet that weren't used every day. Come to think of it, I do that here too. Sounds like you have a good plan, even if you don't get desired result the first time, you'll be most of the way there and be able to work on it more.

I have a hopeful declutter report. When we took those 2 big wall units out, we put them by the front door temporarily. I had put off cleaning them for a while and DH left it all up to me. Finally I got the stain out and fixed the scratches where the tv sat. Calls to donation place went unanswered.

After complaining, DH found a different place and left a message for pickup schedule. They called, and if all goes well, Monday they will come and pick them up! I'm crossing my fingers.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:11 am

I am not sure what the answer is for you and your dfamily dharriet
something close would work as long as your ddad isn't able to reach it. I know dd older is now living with 7 girls and 2 bathrooms (small) where they have a handled basket that they put on their shelf (lol makes them be minimal). dh wouldn't be able to do that... he likes to have things in his reach and consistency and doesn't like change :D your plan of attack sounds like a great idea.

Wonderful d harmony - you made it look nice and now it will be picked up. Good for you.

I did something that I feel good about but dis like paying for it. but I need major laundry decluttering. I brought my huge overflow of laundry to local laundry mat to wash. I seem to go through this about 3 times a year. But the stress the laundry back up caused me to be anxious (not my style and I don't care for it).
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:36 am

Good idea blessed. DD2 at college had a plastic container she took into the bathroom with her things; she was sharing with roommates. Makes me think about if you have any wall space, those plastic things on a hanger hook that have pockets to put things into. Growing up there were 4 of us sharing one bathroom, and DSis and I did many things in our bedroom that we now do in the bathroom. Like makeup and hair.

At my old house we didn't have much drawer space, so I put one of those little cube things with 3 drawers on the counter and it held all the nail clippers, etc.

I'm sorry you're having such a space issue.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”