October 2012 Three-Quarter-Year Mark Declutter

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harmony

Re: October 2012 Three-Quarter-Year Mark Declutter

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I saw that episode about the rock too. I saw that woman's stubbornness in picking the rock over her children (that was her way of digging in her heels) but they were mean to throw it away. Interesting how they'd gone and retrieved it and had it at the end of the show.

I've brought home bushels of seashells, and slowly got rid of them. Now I only collect the little wee ones that look like little umbrellas and I have a glass vase of them. I collect sharks teeth for 2 of my DGSons. I've brought home rocks from practically every mountain I've walked in because we have no mountains here and they are beautiful. But eventually I get tired of having them around and I toss them.

Not everybody can do that. I don't get attached to things - I don't think - I have just a few things I love and will keep.

The donation place called to verify that they are picking up those wall units on Monday. Yay!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:21 pm

DD would always bring home lots of shells from SC vacations. She was a big rock collector, too. That all got decluttered into the flower beds when she left home. Off topic, but I have to say that on one trip to SC, we had a big bucket of spiral shells that she had gathered. We kept hearing noises that night and discovered that those shells were full of little crabs! Those did not come home with us!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 am

Dharriet I do think you hit the nail on the head " I thought that was brilliant, because the woman was sort of making sense if she could still find someone to teach, it's just that she had lost her ability to find a stopping place." Every time I see something, I want to share it with someone, old or young. But I also saw that what I had needed to be shared and also tossed if there wasn't anyone to share it with; then it became okay to let go of my own treasures even if I struggle at times with it. I had a whole shelf of nature items and other shelves of teaching supplies and books - I thought i could use that one day items. I realized that I was getting older and my children had grown and my physical abilities had changed, that "who I was" needed to change to the present. It was a slow process and I still have a container full of preschool teacher magazines that I am thinking of letting go.(that one hurts to let go - but keeping a special one or two is whats needed - hoarding will only lead to frustration and staying stuck in the past for me. I still have the "I can use this one day" but there is so much that I could never read all that information. I have to remember I still get the magazine every two months and I can go on their online site if there is something I could learn from or grab again. ( I think I just talked myself out of these items :D )

I have kept girl scout things (very minimal) because I love to learn and love to share what I learn Same with craft items, I kept thinking my crafts items were still good; but then I went to the Girl Scout cabin and saw the "so called craft items" were so outdated being donated from other crafters over 40 years ago at least. These items should have been tossed over time to make use for the new but being crafters and wanting to teach as well, the scout leaders over the years could not part with these items and couldn't add any other donations. What was supposed to be for use to other leaders became storage rather than a help.

dharriet I "love" your dmom's treasure of the leaf that she had displayed. I think where this lovely woman at the donation place and I in the past (and even now at times) forget to have 1 special item and display it with honor rather than having a million things I couldn't possibly display or be useful.

I never saw the hoarders episodes butI think it's sad that the woman couldn't keep the one rock if she parted with everything else. I could see clearing all the collection but letting her keep the one rock would be okay to me. I do think the family because of the lack of sense to a situation becomes desperate - they see her choosing that one rock over them (their pain), rather than seeing she is living in a past moment and it may be her way of keeping part of that happiness. The trouble happens as with hoarders (light and heavy hoarders) become attached to all their items rather than 1 or 2 and then they loose sight of their families.

Seeing this woman helped me see I need to continue my work and live in the moment today. It's a good thing. (I love when I learn something :geek: )

delly I love that you used the shells in the garden! great on donation place picking up the wall units.
dharmony it's nice that you can display the shells in the vase!

I think I am still processing who I am at this moment and because I am out of shape right now (went backward) I am a little afraid to try things. (so not like me - so I need to regroup)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:01 am

today dejunking: my thinking. I love adventure and seeing new things so I need dejunk my thinking process and become active again; even if a little frightening. I know it won't last for long once I start. So changing my attitude!
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 am

This week I need to take a Goodwill load, also some books to the temple.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 am

Good job on the Goodwill bag, Twins' Mom. I had to turn Kidney Foundation down this week - hadn't collected enough to make it worth the driver's time.

What are the ways you want to become more active, blessed? Good time of year for it with holidays on the calendar as a goalpost.

Certainly am missing Nancy's input.

I'm in the midst of the bathroom declutter. The light is at the end of the tunnel. :lol:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 am

GW was here this morning with their truck which had a lift gate and 2 strong men with their dolly...and my old wall units are out of here. I have about a 14' stretch of wall empty now. Of course, I replaced that set of furniture in our family room with another, but the new is shorter and less deep and more minimalist in appearance. Since I cleared out all the stuff I'd been keeping inside, everything fits nicely and I even have room left over. I've been a long time getting to this point, and happy it's all done now.

They were really pleased to get these things, solid oak with 4 doors at the top with beveled glass and lights, 2 narrow drawers about halfway down, and lots of shelves, 2 solid doors at the bottom of one. They said it would be probably be sold in a couple days. So I'm happy about that.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm

LOL, Harriet, it's not there yet!

Good job on the Goodwill bag, Twins' Mom.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 pm

I have to - just do it. I used to go to the ymca daily. I need to get over the fear and just go again. I just don't like the super fit looking at me annoyed that I am on the machine and they want to go on, if it's busy.

congratulations: dtwins getting things ready for Good will donation.
dharmony: looking at that 14' blank wall with awe!
dharriet - light at the end of the tunnel... bathroom is looking spiffy!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm

dejunked 1/2 of my education books and recycled my teacher magazines. Gave d sil some things for her classroom. She said the dkids are having fun with the last items I gave.

*\o/*
.lllll.
_/ \_

Happy dance being had by me.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”