November 2012 Declutter Strategies

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: November 2012 Declutter Strategies

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing d harmony.. I know I just dejunked the rest of the 3 season room and dh looked at it like "oh" like it wasn't enough... which I know he doesn't mean anything by it. dh is a keeper off things and just doesn't see that, I just feel down and guilty and frustrated that he doesn't just let me get rid of things that are mine that he thinks still has worth even if there are two or more of them. He wants dd to get rid of the rowing machine but she likes it. So maybe thats why he looks disappointed. I do think it is a personality thing and being he is so sweet I just have to let it go instead of taking it personally

I can't worry about what others think I should keep when they themselves struggle to let go of most of their things themselves.

(((d harmony your poor colorful toe!))) great job on getting rid of those catalogs
d nancy can't wait to hear about all that paper shredding.

tossed a whole black bag of garbage from 3 season room. moved sports stuff out to garage
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Blessed...I have two coffee pots... One is a single cup machine and the others is the regular 12 cup size. I bought the single cup at big lots and it cost me $12. It's very small and I use it all the time; especially after dinner when I only want one cup.

In the past I tended to hold onto stuff I wasn't using. Then I started the 1 year 4x's a month rule I made up.... If I hadn't used it for a year or not consistently using it 4 times a month I get rid off it. I don't include holiday turkey pans and things like that. Other things are fair game and if I bring something into my house I make sure I don't keep what I am replacing. Since I started doing this my clutter began to disappear.

Last night I cleaned out my pantry and came to stuff that had been there for more than a year.Think jello. I pitched it along with old napkins and paper plates. I married my 3 bottles of white vinegar and 4 bottles of apple vinegar. I go through my closet every fall and spring. I don't spend much money on clothes so if I haven't worn it in a year it goes to goodwill. It makes me feel good to think someone else might like and I know if no one buys it someone who has no money can wear it too.

It's a win/win situation and a easy way to give back to others.

Harmony.. It's hard to live with someone who gives emotional value to things are meaningless to us. Think of your db's sweater as his baby blanket ;-)
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm seeing a lot of good work in this thread, WTG gals!

Tonight I took the trash and recycle bins to the curb totally full. I know that doesn't sound like much, but --

A couple of weekends ago when I worked outside in the yard/shed/garage, I found that at some point, DH had already filled 2 metal trash cans. He just didn't do the next step to take them to the curb. I dejunked a bunch of stuff that day and filled 2 more plastic cans, plus the big rolling one we use every week. I didn't say anything to him, but decided to take responsibility for delivering the bins to the curb from now on. Therefore, tonight I put on work gloves and hand-transferred the trash from one of the metal cans into the rolling bin, and rolled it out to the curb.

That metal can is so heavy even when it's empty, that's probably why DH didn't set it out. I may need his help to move it back to the shed. Right now it's sitting in what I think should be the prime location for the big rolling bin.

It feels like a game of musical trash bins. At least by documenting here, I have proof that something is actually leaving the property.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 am

thats a really great idea Cowinkie!!!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:50 pm

trying to stay focused on the process.
certain areas in the kitchen have gotten a bit out of control and need to be brought back. so 1 cabinet gone through. 1 also went through the a drawer of reynolds wrap etc. and found garbage
mixer etc. now in one spot easy to reach.

when things started falling down I knew it was time to straighten up again

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 am

today went through dh's house cleaning stuff he brought in and placed items on shelf in basement that I didn't toss. he had 6 bottles of windex of different levels so now 3 left (he smiled when I told him - always ready lol)

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Donated today: 1 coat, 2 scarves, 2 pairs of gloves, and headband

Thrown in trash: 1 hat and 1 headband

Now our coat closet has just what we will wear this winter...YAY!!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 pm

I think that's absolutely Fantastic D ellie

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Dump trash and don't let it pile up is my strategy.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Dnancy can you help me focus on that strategy too :D

Return to “The Decluttered Home”