December 2012, The Strategy Shifts

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: December 2012, The Strategy Shifts

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 pm

I found a stash and dash laundry basket from this summer on h.'s side of the closet so I sorted it tossed and decluttered unneeded items. Yea for progress on the master bedroom. Don't think he needs three pr. of flip flops! Slipper can go by the door for the landing zone area where shoes come off from outside and slippers go on.

Heading to the dining room next.

Yesterday decided to round up Easter items that were around dgkids were playing with and I'll put them in storage for a few mo. until next time to rotate toys.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 am

I put away all baby yarn totes, the button holder, and patterns. Ribbons, spools of thread are put away, too. I use the spare room as a bunny-craft room. It was the bunny room, for my collection, but now it's got craft supplies in the same room. It's nice to have an extra room for myself where I can put these things away.

Of course, I have a doggie to make, so out will come 2 totes of yarn again, and a pattern. It will be clutter-free in the great room when I finish and wrap this dog. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 pm

yeah nancy and Ivy!!!

went through my martha stewart magazine as soon as it came in - gone for recycling
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 am

I had DH fold up the card table, which was stacked with a paper cutter, things for scrap booking, and internet crochet patterns, 1 small plastic bin. I took rubber stamps for autumn and Thanksgiving, put them away, and left out what I want to make cards with. I put supplies on the coffee table and desk in the bunny-craft room. Then I coerced DH into taking a very large dark royal blue bin, which was taking up room in our walk-in closet, and I had him put it in the bunny-craft room. I took bags of yarn, mainly for Baby Girl crochet, put them in the blue bin, put 2 totes of yarn on the lid.

I put a stack of patterns to sort, for filing into files and/or for putting in page protectors. I made a cover for a binder, which says, "It's a Girl!" and there is a girl in a diaper clip art. I also inserted a kitty playing with a ball of green yarn, and under that, in pink, I printed, "Baby Girl Crochet Patterns." I printed it up and have a cover inserted in the front of the binder. The stack of patterns, to sort, are on the bunny-craft room desk, so I'll sit in a chair and categorize them, for files or my current-to-do baby crochet.

In my small office, I put empty/new journals in a basket. I have a long rectangular basket on the shelf, full of papers, files, writing info and patterns to sort through in the small office. I'll dust tomorrow in here and get it organized again. :roll: :idea: A woman's work is never done! :lol: But a man's work is and then they go to loaf and do whatever they want to! :!: Men are so different than women. :?:

I took the broom and dust pan and went to the walk-in closet and actually swept up the dust bunnies on the floor. It looks so much better. Next, I'll be organizing clothes hanging in our closet again. It's nice to see no dust and no dust bunnies on the floors, too. :D

So this weekend, I'll be decluttering, organizing, sorting, and stuff like that, while I crochet a toy dog on and off. That's the plan! :idea:

I also read "Good Housekeeping" magazine as soon as it came in today and it's in recycle, too. Blessed, GO US! :D :D

Go, Nancy, too! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm

When I was in the office aka creativity room I found a stack of books I know I'm not going to get time to read so they were in the car trunk and I got them donated this afternoon yea!

Worked on the dining table and moved the rug underneath it w/ h's help and it's now under the chair he uses down stairs in the cave basement.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Wow, blessed and Nancy, I can't believe you are so efficient with reading matter lately.

Binders that take inserted covers are so helpful for organizing, Ivy.

Christmas decorating has forced me to look at some small areas and admit there was clutter I was missing, or thinking was camouflaged. The dining area furniture's cubbies needed attention. I still have one place - the top of the tallest piece - that I need to declutter and I feel foolish for leaving it until last. It is so easy to forget and now if there's dust I'll have to dust so carefully - all the underneath parts are decorated with the sweetest, most treasured things now! :roll: Anyway, the general look of the dining area is much closer to an ideal of neatness now.

It is HRH that uses that high spot for particular mail that arrives, standing it on its side between decorative things - a basket and an old crock. I told him he puts things in crazy places. He won't take me seriously and teases.
He sang,
"Ooooh, I put things in crazy places
and my wife starts making angry faces..."

:roll:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 am

:lol: Harriet, Your HRH is funny singing a song like that! :lol: How long have you two been married?

We've been married 42 years and when I sit DH down and tell him, "I'm turning over a new leaf and......" HE says, "You've turned over that same leaf about 100,000 times now! Don't you think it's all worn out?" :?: :lol: I state, "Yes, but LISTEN! I've got an IDEA!" He says, "Oh, okay. Tell me your idea." and he smiles that smile of his! So I get DH humor here, too. ;)

I was writing computer letters tonight. My laptop is on the desk in my small office and it had letters and envelopes all over. It was a mess. I had a couple of pages out of magazines, to look up a site on-line and then some sites to tell DD about for her musician boyfriend, for song-writing contests. I finished the snail mail and just got all the envelopes and trash from writing letters all cleaned up. So tomorrow morning, I can come to my desk with a clean conscience, too. :idea: :)

Tomorrow I need to clean up the main office because I have messed it up in there, too. :roll: :oops:

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 am

o m gosh... too too funny d harriet and d ivy!

hi dnancy and all that dejunk here - its a wonderful thing.

I have been thinking of my gift to myself this coming year: it will be dejunking my finances and becoming more thrifty by not adding financial and object clutter

wishing you all a wonderful clutter free day
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Today I have a bag of bags to go when we do a store run next time. Hung it on the door we leave through so we'll remember to take it with us.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:49 pm

I wasn't a Village member last New Year's here. I was wondering if anybody can answer this question for me? :?: (I guess I'm getting kind of excited!) ;)

In the New Year, do Villagers get together and cheer each other on as they're decluttering their homes, are donating things to charity, and organizing?

Also, do we give each other support as we put away Christmas decorations and get life back to "normal"? :?: It sounds encouraging to me, to have a place to go for feedback and tips, etc.... :D

Return to “The Decluttered Home”