July Appointments for Declutter and Organization, 2013

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
ellyphant

Re: July Appointments for Declutter and Organization, 2013

Postby ellyphant » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Nope, Harriet, can't seem to "grow" in that area! :lol:

Re: interesting buttons...I am not a seamstress, but would not be above sewing on a few ordinary buttons if I wanted to save the buttons from an item to be donated. I do have a button jar and once I sewed my odd collection of buttons on a kitchen curtain. That was cute and I used it for a long time, like maybe a decade or so! :)

Have sandals that I love, but the heels are worn down. Does anyone repair shoes anymore? I guess I'll drop them in the shoe recycle bin.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:09 pm

I dumped the trash from all over the house and scrubbed 3 toilets, stripped the bed and sheets are washing/soaking on a Biz pre-soak.

I "love" unusual buttons! :!: I have a button jar, too. Once, I had an ill-fitting long-sleeve denim dress, but it came without 1 of the buttons. I'm glad it never fit me because I wasn't going to go purchase a ton of new buttons, to just match all the buttonholes. I eventually donated it with its buttons attached.

You can also go to craft magazine sites to order catalogs, which offer variety packs of buttons, which some match, some don't. Whenever I need a few buttons, I search through my gallon button jar first. I think I fell in love with buttons in San Fransisco when I was a girl visiting a Great Aunt. She'd let me thread necklaces and bracelets with her button collection. Buttons bring on fond memories.

Ever play the child's game, "Button, button... Who's got the button?" with a roomful of kids, 1 has a button in their hand, and when the button searcher tries to find it, the clues are, "Hot!" or "Cold!" until they finally find it. It's a great game for calming a lot of kids down. At lease in the "olden days" that worked. I don't know about today's modern times though. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:40 pm

I know that game, Ivy! We played it back in the olden days when I went to "nursery school." :)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Ellyphant, They didn't have preschool where I lived nor Kindergarten, at the time, but I learned it in 1st grade.

Did you also play Farmer in the Dell, Red Rover, Statue, Simple Simon, Mother May I? and others, too? Some games were for olden days P.E. :)

When I was in 1st grade, the school was a grades 1 -8 school with 4-year high school. The parking lot was huge, gravel and saved only for the buses. I played "horses" with my girlfriends. We horses had names like "White Lightning," and different ones like that. We'd dodge the puddles, of course, but I was so horse crazy! :lol: When I was 11.5 years old, I got an old mare and colt. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:46 pm

One ratty old shirt of Dh's thrown out. He won't miss it.

Ivy, yes, we played all those games at school and at home--except for "horses". I was in NC, early 1960's. We didn't have preschool or kindergarten, either. Nursery school was what we called day care in those days. Many mothers worked as we were on the poor side of town in what is now a huge city.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:26 pm

I dumped the kitchen trash and noticed that I need to do the same in the sewing zone too. Delivered some donations on Thurs. last time we were down town.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:40 pm

"Red Rover" was banned in our county when I was young-ish, maybe junior high school. It was no big deal when I was a little child, but by then had gotten so that boys would make the game so rough (tackling through the held hands of the opposite team) yet holding the other person's hand so tight when on the "defensive". A child's arm got broken and the whole of the school system had to ban the game! I remember my mother talking about having to insist that everyone on the playground respect that rule. She and other teachers would have to monitor to make sure none of the elementary children tried playing the game, for fear someone would get hurt.

"Mother May I" was the favorite with me and my cousins, in the front yard of my grandmother's house. The one in charge would stand on a rock that rested against her oak tree - so important!

Love buttons, and have even bought some variety plastic buttons on ebay. HRH says I am such a spendthrift - the only things I ever want to buy are little sewing notions or maybe an apron pattern, that sort of thing. :lol: Btw, I've found this type of 3-drawer organizer is a lot of help for patterns.

I'm going to really try to get back to specific declutter every day starting tomorrow, rather than being haphazard. 15 minutes after every Morning Daily Card hour. I really need the routine of it.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 am

Ellyphant, There was a cement playground, no grass around the school playground to speak of or the gravel parking area, where buses turned around. Our town was a very small prairie town of 500, so playing horses was such great sport. About 25 miles away, they had rodeos in the summer, so it wasn't unusual to have horse craziness or horse crazy friends. As I became a teenager, many of my friends had horses and we'd ride together.

One friend's old mare hated to go riding, so she's blow her belly up really large, when my friend would saddle her up. Sheryl's DDad said, "Kick the old nag in the belly with your knee when you cinch up the strap, to make her let out her air, or you're gonna get on, and the saddle will slide off down to the ground with you in it!" :lol: And many, many times it did just that.

Harriet, Why was Red Rover banned at your school?

Oh, when I started grade school at age 5 1/2 or 6, the year was 1958. :shock:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 am

I got the trash in the basement rounded up and dumped yea for that progress.

Harriet great find on that pattern organizer.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:37 am

I organized 1 spot on a long bunny room desk, an office shelf in my office, and we have 2 1/2 shelves in the utility room for 2 paper bags of books, which DD is giving me. I'll share the word search puzzle and soduko books with others. :idea:

Return to “The Decluttered Home”