October Appointments for Declutter and Organization

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: October Appointments for Declutter and Organization

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:42 pm

This weekend I donated the items in the trunk.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 pm

I decluttered the towels, handtowels, and face cloths from the bed-then-the-hope-chest-then the bed again. They moved 3 places in 2 days because I hadn't gotten around to it. The eating bar got decluttered from groceries, then snail mail sorting, and later KFC. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Dropped off an old turntable to local store for recycling. Still love all the extra room in basement and garage after our summer of decluttering large items.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Found an empty photo album and the coffeepot from our old coffeemaker to donate.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I have sorted summer things ane too small items for kids to take home.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm

I read and purged 2 magazines into recycle. I dumped trash from all the rooms into the tall kitchen garbage can, DH took the garbage out, so we decluttered trash and garbage today. :) :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 pm

I decluttered a large box of facial cleansing wipes. They foamed up too much, they smelled too much of chemicals, and after using them, I'd need to take a crocheted face cloth, re-rinse and rinse to get the stuff off my face. I'd end up using Dove soap instead. ♥ I threw away the entire box of cleansing wipes. :D

Then, inside the same bathroom cabinet, under my sink, I rearranged the left contents. I found 1 blue and 1 yellow shower caps! :!: I didn't know they were there so DH, about 6 or 7 weeks ago, bought me a new jazzy-looking colorful shower cap. I believe (from memory?) it's a lot of lipstick kisses in pinks and red. :D

The lesson to ME is to keep cabinet under-the-sink things sorted and decluttered so you don't waste money because you cannot find something you "need". I had 2 shower caps all along, would've been able to use those, and not pay for a new one. The good thing is, I have spares, for when company comes or when I might pop a hole in my print one. :idea: I cleaned up the bottom bathroom drawer, too. :D

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:12 am

I got some rements of fabric decluttered yesterday and loaded them in the car trunk. Went though pens and pencils too.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 pm

I decluttered a thick layer of dust :roll: out of my china cabinet today and rearranged the contents so they're more pleasing to the eye. :D

I organized some crochet patterns for my dementia/Alzheimer's dfriend. I put the sheets of paper back to back with cardboard from shirts or old tablets, in between, into plastic sleeves so the patterns will be sturdy, won't wrinkle fast and will keep clean. Also, I organized the crochet by taking about 1/2 Lbs. of Peaches 'n' Creme cone with a rubber band with a "G" hook and "H" hook, in case she cannot find her old ones. These are duplicates for me and I can declutter them from my home to bless her. I'll help her with the easy-to-crochet patterns, to get her started. I felt it would be a good focus for her mind and it might be like getting back off a horse. Also, the 1 dishcloth pattern is nice when made into acrylic or wool yarn, only longer, for a scarf. It would be so nice if she could be able to take it up again. She complains of there being nothing to do and she seems to not be too interested in the jig-saw puzzle she was trying to do, but her caretaker is a puzzle whiz. I'll put my cards/inhaler/meds in a Ziploc to tuck into the tote, to take to her house with me later this week, so I need not drag a purse along. :idea: Being as I'm over-run with cones of yarn, I figured I could spare the yellow 1/2-cone because her kitchen's yellow and mine's not. ;)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 am

I crossed TUESDAY OFF THE CALENDAR! :!: :oops: I thought it was Wed., which means garbage day tomorrow. So I dumped all the waste baskets, all over the house, getting ready for "garbage day" tomorrow, which is on THURSDAY! :lol: Now I'll need to look at my desk calendar, clock calendar, and office wall calendar to remember it is NOT Hump Day yet! :lol: This is so funny. I got up at 6:30 a.m. and I guess I "lost a day" when I got up early???? :?: :oops: Anyway, it's a very good feeling to know it's been done.

I decluttered the sofa area. I put my clipboard storage thing with writing to do inside it with index cards, and a spiral notebook, over near my chair. I put my neck pillow and another pillow away. Now, on that end of the sofa is 2 skeins of yarn and my dgrson-4.5's afghan I'm edging.

The other day I stripped the eating bar area where I had my cards and lists. I set up underneath cabinets where I count calories and write down OTC meds, time when took and how many. Now, on the eating bar are 2 of DH's b-day cards, a scarecrow decoration (7" tall) and timer with ONE list pad. It looks so tidy there now, less overwhelmed with clutter, and my other list pad, which I check off 5 fruits/veggies daily, add my calories eaten at the day's end and put my weigh-ins are under the cabinet out of the way, too. It's nice to be organized, but do I need to do it in a cluttered way? NO! :!: So everything's out of the way, for my eyes only, leaving what's visible from the great room and dining room, clean when you glance over at the kitchen counters. Decluttering is work, but sometimes it falls into place so easy. :P

Return to “The Decluttered Home”