January's Dynamic Declutter, 2014

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: January's Dynamic Declutter, 2014

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:04 pm

I have dumped several trash cans of stuff after decluttering surfaces and shredding in my office and the table.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Garbage can's at the curb now, we threw away 3 deflated balls nobody wants to use or needs. Dumped trash last night, DH took garbage with dumped leftovers out and to the curb in the can. :) :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Today's missions:

Decluttered 2 kitchen cupboards. Tossed expired dry goods and tea bags. As I said in PWYC, even dry goods stored in good quality sealed plastic storage containers don't last forever. The packets of yeast that I couldn't remember when I bought them, didn't stand a chance of still being usable. Some steel cut oats sealed in a container just didn't smell right. Old corn meal and Cream of Wheat had to go.

It hurts to throw away food, but the space in the cupboards makes it easier to see what's in them.

Must arrange more appropriate items for the top cupboard shelf. 2 unopened boxes of tea had to be thrown out because they'd been hiding in the back of the top shelf for too many years.

(Or maybe the problem is only that when I'm at the grocery store, I think I drink more tea than I actually do. :? I don't know why I don't brew more tea, when I like it very much.)

Sorted through 2 boxes in my office and put lots of paper in the recycle bin. Combined 2 misc. boxes into 1 to create a little more space. Arranged a better sorting station.

Sorted a stack of mail and recycled most of it.

Both the trash and recycle bins will be full when they go to the curb later tonight. :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:22 am

My barber de-cluttered about 8-9" of hair off me today! :!: :P Chin-length bob now. I decluttered junk mail today and the other day I de-cluttered packaging from a pkg. :D I decluttered the dining room table, too. I'd gotten some crochet up there- AGAIN! :roll:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 pm

[b]I have clutter on my sectional sofa back, arm and I'm in the process of finishing up a crochet job for DGD there. Then, plan on putting away my pin cushion, button, silk roses, scissors, etc.....

Also, on the dining room table is an open mailer, half-way filled. I'll finish DGD's last hat, will write DDIL a letter, to put into the pre-addressed mailer, and that will be more clutter OFF the dining room table.

My stack of magazines on the end table (my chair side) is going to go into my office. I'll find a good spot to be able to get to the issues quickly and easily. I'll put books I'm currently reading back onto the end table, so that also will be decluttered.

I have a BFF and her DH coming on my b-day on Wed., so will be decluttering rooms where they'll be in or will be using (such as bathroom) and great room area, etc... We keep things picked up,but I have the place where I keep my "inspirational words" for the day, with FOCUS cards, 3 x 5's, and a to do list, on the end of the kitchen eating bar, which need tending to, also. So I'll declutter that. Also, will strip the dining room table, wash and dry it, put all place mats away, so they can see the beauty of the inlay wood work on the table's top. I'll be crocheting and putting away crochet and....

:oops: Sometimes- when I "declutter" papers, files for my job, etc... OFF the dining room table, I put them in a tidy criss-cross pile on 1 pub stool seat which is hidden under the table. But *I* know it's there. I'll be taking my work stuff back to my office. I want my home company ready by Wed. afternoon, and it's a b-day gift I'm giving myself, too. :idea: :mrgreen:[/b]

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm

This past week was decluttering in bedrooms for me, and I really used my master bedroom as an organizing area a lot. All the Christmas things, from wrappings to decor, were redone and reorganized there, and then put away on their shelves. The bedroom really looks a lot better, too, with the general activity of decluttering going on! Need to deal with the chair there, though, which is under a variety of variety right now! (smile)

This coming week will be decluttering in my master bathroom, so I'll plan to scoot sideways and deal with that chair, too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 pm

This is helping the house is looking better. It is warmer outside here I need to get out and do some more work on the yard post wind storm clean up. I put away more holiday stuff and spiffed up the storage room I still need to get one box up and out to the car trunk.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Saturday I spent a couple of hours clearing and cleaning the big rolltop desk which in recent years has been used as storage space rather than working space. I did have to box up some papers temporarily (until I finish the sewing group archives project), but threw away a lot of junk and put a few other office-supply-type things away in the cubbyholes & drawers rather than in baskets on the work surface.

I'm looking forward to using the horizontal sorting space for paper taming activities this week.

At the library, we created a display for "bundles of romance" where we are selling paperback romances 5 for $1 now through February. I'm sure I have a bunch of historical romances here that can go, and I like the idea of filling a box and having an immediate place to put them on the display table. I want to do that within the next 2 weeks to replace the batch that hopefully will be sold by then.

I'll probably end up filling at least 1 other box of misc. books to donate, too, but I'll have to keep them here until the big book sale in June. We only have a small closet there to store the sale books that are weeded from the library shelves, and it is already pretty full.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Dumped all the trash from waste baskets from all over the house, sorted, purged recycle mail or to-burn addresses from purged mail going out in recycle.

Decluttered some "stinking thinking", too. :mrgreen:

EDIT Addition here: I decluttered the eating bar, the dining room table, my end table, and I'm ready to start on my chair in the bedroom. Only have 3 items on it to hang up. The other day, I put away all yarn totes, files with patterns and/or writing in them, etc..., too. I got a LOT done on the great room in so little time! :!: It's amazing when we work fast, as to how much nicer a room comes together. The nice thing, too, is how things are put in spots, where I can see them, to pull out to use, which are in my office and DH's main office. Out-of-sight, where they should be. They're in their homes.

I've hung up 25 b-day cards now, I have 1 on display on my end table, from DH, which is too special to get tape on it, because I'll save it. I'll keep up my b-day cards for awhile, but will declutter them, too, later. :idea: I had 2 b-day cards come to me, which were cut up b-day cards, re-glued to make a new card for me. I know that may sound very cheap to some, but it's economical, it's good for Seniors pinching pennies and it still conveys the sentiment. I don't mind. It's a good idea. I may take the b-day cards I got to recycle into collage cards, using rubber stamps and pretty background papers, as I declutter.

Back to my decluttering! :!:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

1 bag of trash is out oofthe house and some misc. Items to donate as well.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”