April's Dynamic Declutter, 2014

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Ivy

Re: April's Dynamic Declutter, 2014

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 pm

I decluttered the eating bar of in-coming-today's mail, groceries, twice, and the laundry and DW got done, too. :mrgreen: I put a book of baskets away, into my bedroom, on the coffee table, and redecorated the table. I re-did my end table basket in the great room, next to my chair.

I need to work on 1 main office and the kitchen. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:02 am

I decluttered:

1- The bed, by stripping & washing the sheets,
2- Our bedroom, by hanging up my Muumuu, gown, slip, etc...
3- The dining room table, by putting things away or where they belonged.
4- The sofa next to my recliner, by putting away my journals, lap storage clipboard, blanket (I'd try to nap under), pen pal envelope stuffers.
5- Two read magazines.
6- An e-zine, although it's still on my Nook.
7- Dumped trash.
8- Put crochet back into the tote, I'd been working on last night.
9- Put a spiral notebook, outline & index card back where it belonged, now that I've worked on that story awhile.
10- Tidied up the end tables in the great room, put things away. :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:40 pm

I, once again, decluttered our bedroom of all my clothes laying on the chair & hope chest.

I decluttered the in-coming mail, with the pkg. of my bra & other items.

I reconsidered decluttering the laundry basket until tomorrow, when there will actually be more towels, clothes, to wash. :idea: :idea:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 pm

I got the dirty clothes & towels "clutter" out of the laundry basket, washed 3 lol, so that's done. :P No "need" to do laundry this Easter weekend, which is so nice.

The clutter:
1- On my end table by my gr8 rm. chair needs to go. :!: I have a pen pal booklet there, with a clipboard & cone of kitchen yarn, my basket's full of magazines to read/purge, :idea: :roll: and it'll look so nice to get it done. It shouldn't take long either. :P
2- I have clothes on my chair in the bedroom, but was going to wear them today, but changed my mind. If I leave them there, I can wear them tomorrow. They're comfy Adidas pants w/turtleneck. :idea:
3- Our walk-in closet "needs" to be organized again. My yarn for projects, in totes, ends up on the floor of the closet, because it's so convenient to go in, grab, & go & crochet. It's good, in that way, but from the point of view of clutter, it's not such a hot idea. :roll: I could put it into the bunny room, where there's music, a recliner, sofa, & yarn bins. Yes! :!: That would be a good home for yarn totes. :idea:
4- The eating bar has Swiffer dusters on it, for dusting & to do lists & my calorie counter. It's so convenient to use my to do lists & calorie counter there, where the lighting is good, & as I go into the kitchen, everything's "right there" where I can read & go to it. We're not having Easter company, but the Swiffer dusters need to dust the GR8 room/dining/eating bar shelves & bedroom, then be put away! :!:
5- My idea about the gr8 room end table is: :idea: A) put pen pal booklet into the office where the other pen pal items, envelopes, stamps, stickers, stationery, etc.. are. There is a place for everything- everything in its place. B) The magazines can be read, with a pair of scissors, small stapler, & Exacto knife, I can put my feet up, & cut out what may be of interest to me to re-read or for family members or pen pals, to mail to them. Good idea. :mrgreen: C) DH got me a large 8 1/2" x 11" thin journal today, for a journal exercise I do daily. I need to date the pages, number the items I talk about in it, including gratitude items, & need to find a good place in the basket or on the end table for it. D) I also have a weight loss journal, the same size, which accidentally got put into a basket in the office, when I moved my basket, which needs to be in the great room, for me to add to, as I journey this spring & summer. I'll decorate the other journal's cover with inspirational stickers, too. E) I have books to be organized in this basket, too. :roll: Hence, once I get my basket cleared & cleaned out, my mind will be in a better place & at Peace. :D It's terrible how clutter creeps up on us like a sneaky snake in the tall field grass. :lol:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 pm

I read & purged 2 magazines, I have a baby boomer book in a mailer with letter/articles, etc... ready to mail on Monday, so this will be decluttered out of the house, & I threw away an old pen pal letter, which I'd already answered.

We decluttered the DW & put all the dishes away, too.

I sorted through my end table basket. I had 2 memo pads with to do's on it, which have been done long ago. So they're now empty & near the phone for messages. I tidied up the books in the basket, the religious items I read, journal, etc... It looks a whole lot better & the end table top is tidied, too. I was a good girl! :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Discovered I had not watched most of one season of the "buried alive" hoarding program. These are things we are noticing after switching from more pricey UVerse to less expensive netflicks and antenna tv stations that are popping up. On netflicks it is relatively easy to determine what you've watched already. So in catching up on those with my lunches, I've had bits of inspiration. It inspires me to keep up with my decluttering appointments rather well, ahead of Focus. That doesn't mean things are perfect, but I am in the midst of it every day and aware.

HRH and I have been giving each other little tests about clutter. For instance, he challenged me today to walk all the way through the house to the farthest door and knock at it so he could hear me and see if I could do it without any swerving or stepping-over. I could, which puzzled him, since he thought a box and a stack of magazines were in the way. They're in his way, not mine, since I'm an expert at their placement, lol. But it pointed out to me that that's not good enough when it comes to clear, wide access everywhere, and so the box is on the way to recycle and the stack is moved and under scrutiny. :|

Today's declutter was kitchen counter and part of cabinets. Some sadness at gathering dog items - a new box of biscuits, a partial box of flea treatment, These are more things to give to ds in case their dog can use them. I'd already given him a new bag of dog food. Things that were thrown away included specific meds and opened but reclosable bags of treats. Sigh. Also threw away some recyclable saved containers for leftovers. If I haven't used them in a timely manner, they must not be as helpful as I thought.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56 pm

:lol: Harriet! You & HRH are both right. Clutter to 1, might not be clutter to another, but it can be clutter to someone who comes to visit, can cause a tripping-over hazard or fire. Also, heard that stacks of magazines or newspapers, can fall & suffocate others. It happened in the next town over. Her obit said how intellectual she was, educated & world traveled. The poor soul was a hoarder. Sad nobody helped her. :(

I also laughed, Harriet, because as I continue to post here, I was starting to hear an echo. :idea: I know some gals post decluttering on PWYC, too.

DD wasn't planning on coming for Easter, but last night, I cleaned the main/guest bathroom, the master bathroom, and the powder room toilet. I did it for ourselves, it needed to get done, & you just "never know" who may come over. DD called this a.m. at 9:45 a.m. :!: She got her car back from the shop, she was just laying around, so asked if she could come see us. She's single & Dgrson-17.5 is with his daddy on weekends. I put fresh placemats on, put away kitchen cleaning supplies, & s2s FAST! I dumped bathroom trash, did a few other tidy-up things, so when she got here, we looked company ready. :) :) DH dusted a bit in the great room, dust mopped in there, too, so it was pulled together & nice-looking. It was nice to do a fast declutter trip, be ready & relax by the time she arrived. I'm grateful last p.m. I did toilets & it was done before this a.m., because it left me more time to do other things.

P & P say you can go through your home, like you're a real estate agent, write things down, which could be improved on. GR8 idea! :idea: HAPPY EASTER!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:17 pm

My declutter list for today is:

1- We put away groceries, etc.. on the eating bar, after we got home.
2- I sorted/purged the mail.
3- I hung up nightgowns, clothes, etc. in our bedroom. (I changed outfits about 3 times this a.m., due to an appt. & vanity about my weight.)
4- Am in the process of decluttering the laundry basket this evening, with #2 lol washing, #3 next.
5- Tidied the sofa area of 2 print-outs & my journals and clipboard storage lap thing.
6- Later, I decluttered the sofa from my afghan & neck rest pillow, after my well-needed nap. (Terrible sleep last p.m.)
7- I put away an afghan, on my side of the bed & a fleece throw into the laundry. (Got too hot last night.
8- Did the letter off the dining room table & a FM print-out, put in my basket & on my great room end table, to get to faster, easier.
9- Decluttered the last roll of TP in the main/guest bathroom, so re-stocked under the sink.
10- This a.m., my flannel sheets on my side of the bed were sweat-damp, so threw back the covers to air out while we were gone. DH had made his side of the bed early this a.m., so I re-made my side when we got back from town.
11- I'm decluttering my Inboxes. :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 pm

I emptied out the corner curio cabinet, cleaned the doors, mirror walls, and glass shelves on top & underneath. I put everything back into the cabinet, making it look really nice.
I've put bunnies away to the bunny room, where they have their home there. So they've been decluttered from Easter decorating various rooms in out home.

Next on my list is to do pre-Mother's Day cleaning, to decorate the bathrooms as little as possible because of 3 toddlers being here on Mother's Day. Need to baby proof, too. Dgd will be 16 months old, dgs is 3 & the other dgs is 5. Kids get curious.

I'll put away mugs of pens & crochet hooks, scissors, & my row counter, from the great room end table, too. They'll be on my dresser behind a closed door, where our cat will be.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Decluttered:

1- end table basket
2- end table top
3- eating bar shelves
4- put away books
5- put away spiral notebooks
6- put away groceries on the eating bar
7- stripped the tablecloth off the table
8- re-did the bookcase top
9- re-did my office desk

I can't think of anything else now.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”