January Clutter Control, 2015

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: January Clutter Control, 2015

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Today's crate of decluttering: A pile of DH's old Tshirts, either worn too thin or the wrong fabric to be cut up for rags. 2 of my sleep shirts, ditto.

Blessedw2 ~ WTGG on having your whole family involved in sorting out those cords and cables. That's a tough project.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:03 pm

I'm trying to figure out :?: how to rearrange my kitchen counter tops, to make room for my 1.5-qt. slow cooker, because I plan on using it more regularly. It also, came to mind, while keying this dilemma, how I have 1 roll-out cabinet shelf, where the cooker can easily rest, when not in use for 1 - 3 days, too. :) I'll go through the kitchen counters, to put away other things, too, so there are fewer counter items out. I like the look of wooden spoons, in 1 old vase, which is cracked. It's too beautiful to give away, chuck into the garbage, plus it's a Mother's Day combination-from-my-kids-when-they-were-still-home-gift to me. ♥ ♥ I WANT it and it keeps my wooden spoons and spatulas organized.

I like that term, "Organized Clutter," where you use baskets, vases, pretty glass containers, etc... to make things look prettier and more pleasing to the eyes, especially when they are items you use all the time, or NEED at a moment's notice. :mrgreen:

I'm very slowly, working on 5 stacks of papers,files, etc... in the main office.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm

office decluttering has proven to be the toughest for me, in that I simply must take a break more often. I really dread it and have to press myself. The gratification you get in other rooms, where you can see the effects as you go, is more difficult to find in office, I think.

Today starts closet decluttering for me and there is no question it is the master closet that needs attention.

Clothes closet thoughts:
I have started keeping a printed record of clothing purchased online. Often you get a printable page with an order that may even have mini photos of what you bought. But unless you have a membership/account with the company you have to print - they won't remember for you. It contains a lot of info you don't usually think about, such as the company's exact item numbers for what you bought. If you wish you could have another of a garment that works out well, that item number helps you find out fast whether it's available. And you don't get mixed up if the company sells two that are similar. If there are two similar colors, the printed color name tells you which one you bought before without guessing. The date on it also helps, to decide whether something was a good value or didn't last long enough.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:54 pm

I will stop by tomorrow and read all the work everyone did... We DO make a good de-cluttering team!

I totally agree d Harriet... I too find the desk and paper area to be a struggle for me as well
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:08 am

Got the bags to recycle out of the kitchen this week and delivered bag of prayer shawls also.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Dumped trash, from all of the waste baskets last night. Today DH took the garbage can up to the curb. Pick-up day tomorrow.

We sorted mail, purged addresses and junk things not needed.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Trash got dumped and to the curb this week.
I purged some planner pages notes from other years that felt great!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 am

yay d Book... I do love your system.. it really works for me

trash out!!! great work!!! D nancy and D friend

yay on getting rid of those planner notes d nancy and donating prayer shawls

d harriet - that's good information to keep track of. Last year I bought d mom in law a sweater jacket thingy and I thought I would get her another; however, I can't remember the company or product number I used... I wish I had had your system at the time.

d friend I cook a lot, well it's now both dd's who have taken over the cooking, and I too love my wooden spoons - I have a container with stirring items - whisks, wooden spoons, and scrapper type spatulas - often used items and in easy reach of the stove. your spoon holder sounds lovely.

actually Peter Walsh just had his followers for the 31 days of January declutter work with getting rid of the extra kitchen utensils https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g612I392nzo&list=PL-NTjJZgtwiJWN1zOE3yX7sf-rHNGF_Oo&index=24

no big decluttering here but that's okay. decluttered my carry along bag (I have been doing paperwork while waiting for dd younger) and I decluttered my purse. At least it's something. :D

- todays peter walsh decluttering is wrapping paper etc. that isn't a problem here as I usually buy bags or only have one wrapping paper roll of generic paper or use my white paper and do drawings on it for gifts. Some times I print old pictures of family member and put it on the paper
it is always a joy to be here with you!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 am

I had 5 stacks of papers to sort, in the main office. It's currently not being used, b/c DH needs a new computer tower. He's not using a computer now. I put the papers back into the basket, after doing the sorting on and off for 2 weeks. I decided, to sort it, from the basket, to limit the 5 stacks of papers, which were causing angst because of "The Clutter v. s. Calm Effect." :oops: :o

Today, I cut out a 2015 calendar taped it in a side-by-side wooden file box, DD got me from Ikea, years ago, then she stained it olive. I got out my S. H. E. cards today, I made 3 daily routines cards, and found my cards, labeled with how often I'll do certain rooms, jobs, like china cabinets, etc... I need to refresh myself with more items, on-line, especially at CEO's site, because I don't have books on the card method. I mailed mine to a woman in dire need of help, several years ago, to bless her, to help her, and she was very ecstatic about this method. Then, several years later, her cancer returned and she passed away. :cry:

I made several 'Action Cards' about 2 weeks ago, and slowly have been sorting through them, crossing items off, as I go. I put them with the card box, with the 3 routine cards, and the eating bar has been de-cluttered now.

We put away our 2.5-foot tall holiday tree. DH insisted he loved it out, because it had no fake holly in it, just red berries, red Cardinals, and ivy on the fake fir tree branches. It had a birdhouse on top, too, with fake suede-wood-looking bows on it. We put it away, because I "insisted" on decorating that spot with a cut crystal and burgundy-roses glass bowl, to match other red glass things, I'm currently decorating with, for Valentine's Day. ♥ I also put away a cream-colored poinsettia, to the top of the dining room china cabinet top, b/c DH insists it is much-much too beautiful to keep year-round in the cold garage. He adores this, it's very nice, it's from Costco and the quality is impeccable. I put spring-time flowers in my copper spittoon on top of the entry way china cabinet, to BOAST "IT'S SPRING SOON!", as guests walk in. Now, I need to clean the entry way real well and DH takes care of the porch. He also hung up our cork-Easter Island head, on the covered porch area, which has been spray-painted black, (the head/not the porch!). He took down our holiday wreath, which had birds on it, too, but didn't look specifically for Christmas. It looked like a traditional winter season wreath. :) :)

I've slowly been working on my small office, I also dumped trash twice today, and put dirty dishes into the DW and ran it, so there are no dirty dishes in the dish drainer anymore. Everything's shaping up. I opened blinds today, to let sunlight in, and some windows are dirty, but that will be taken care of, when DH figures out the window-washing kit, we have. It has a specific recipe, so the dirt on the windows will be "de-cluttered" one of these days, too.

I also sorted/purged snail mail today, and put a grocery list and receipt in the burn trash, too. :mrgreen:

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 pm

The decluttering continues...4 glasses, one plate, one plastic tray, one zipper pouch, one book, a suit of dh's and one pair of pants.

Holey socks, underwear, and pillowcase to trash.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”