February Clutter Control, 2015

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
FelineFriend

Re: February Clutter Control, 2015

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 pm

That's a GR8 idea, Nancy! :idea: :mrgreen: I'm so glad they invented those thing, too! 8-)

DH took the garbage out and up to the curb before I could dump it today. But I dumped it yesterday. :)

I helped put away groceries. ;)
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Great job Twins' Mom, Nancy, FFriend.

And BookSaver, WTG on consistency.

It's my kitchen decluttering week ahead of the Focus schedule. I've decluttered from the refrigerator past stove around the cabinet corner to the sink so far. When I do the other side of the kitchen, HRH wants to try the microwave at a different spot. Neither of us can remember why it wouldn't work before. So we will try again and maybe find out and put it right back! :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:10 pm

I have bagged up some stuff to declutter it is going out to the car trunk next up on my chores!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:07 am

This morning I have discovered that I can neatly fold plastic shopping bags from wm and store them in a kleenex box. I can easily stuff 30 bags into 1 box, and can probably fit in more before they become too difficult to remove 1 at a time.

The reason this is good is because at the library's annual used book sale, we always need plastic bags for the customers. I've experimented with different ways to keep the bags handy on our checkout tables. They always look messy and fall on the floor. I think colorful kleenex boxes will look better and be more useful.

Plus, as I fill a reasonable number of boxes, I can take them to the library and tuck them away in the book sale storage closet, thus getting those bags out of my house!

I know the librarians also give out plastic bags on rainy days. I'll check next time I go to work to see how they store those. If they just have them shoved under the counter, I'll ask if they want to try one of the kleenex boxes.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 am

BookS I need to try that for the diaper changing area for the used ones I take out love that so I will save a kleenex box.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Found 4 more things to donate. I won't bore you with the details! :)
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Now see, my mind immediately went to decorating the kleenex boxes. :roll: I'm hopeless with sidetracking! The whole point is disposable! Btw, would also work in kitty-box clean-up area. I think what we are liking about it is that it is a socially acceptable container :) and neat in shape. Rather than just one big fly-away rustle-y bag full of a bunch of other rustle-y bags. Also, since it's not textile, like the holders often sold for the purpose for kitchens, it doesn't have to be protected.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 pm

I started thinking about a decorated kleenex box, too, because I'm not sure how durable the regular cardboard ones will be, and I wondered if a plastic or wooden one would be better. Then I realized that I'm ok with the originals, they are pretty enough for the book sale table, and I won't have to worry if they get lost or go home with someone else.

It won't be a problem if a box only holds together a short time. DH and I go though a lot of tissues so there will always be a replacement box. A torn one can go straight into the recycle bin because the only alteration I'm doing is removing the plastic window insert. Any more permanent version of the kleenex box would require regular cleaning, and who has time for that?

Anyway, I try to buy the boxes at Aldi and WM that are in colors that I like.

I'm using the rectangular boxes that hold 184 standard 2-ply tissues. I'm sure the square "decorator" boxes would work, too.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 pm

I finally made it to Goodwill today with 2 boxes of misc. stuff.

Cleaned the refrigerator and threw away some old bottles and jars of condiments.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 pm

3 kitchen gadgets to donate bag

All this talk of kleenex boxes had me finally remembering to buy kleenex today at grocery store. Hope I remember to try saving a box to hold a few plastic bags. I recycle most of our bags, but use a few in bathroom wastebasket.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”