April Clutter Control, 2015

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: April Clutter Control, 2015

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:51 am

I have some art set out to go decluttering it next trip to town.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 am

You guys are making me want to go find some stuff to carry out of here.

Last week I stopped off at a little consignment type store near here - am thinking that could be solution for the too large breakfast room table, if we ever find another we can agree upon. Our table from the old house is, IMHO, too large for this space. Dh says it's because I have my desk in this area, but I think the table/chairs are just too heavy looking as well as being too big.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:01 pm

dtwins... trust your judgment... you will figure out what would be could for the space.

I agree these wonderful women are amazing and make me want to get into my house and let go of things I no longer need or honor!

thank you d elly.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks! I got motivated reading a little about decluttering a few places, and all this cleaning out has been in the back of my mind for a long while now. Some of the spaces I just wanted to organize but discovered the stuff in there mostly wasn't worth keeping. Some of this has been on my mind for a few years!

Twins, I would encourage you to change the table. You will be happier with your space, it will give you pleasure to look at it. Life is too short to wait on things that aren't giving us happiness. I know now not to wait so long.

If I have to buy back something I've given away, it certainly won't be much and I'll know better exactly what I need. There isn't really anything I miss... though my mind goes back to 2 things... but somebody would have tossed them someday anyway and I don't feel angst over anything. I realize it's harder for some people, they agonize over an empty can that might be recycled.

For a while I toyed with the idea of saving everything up for a huge garage sale. But then we read about people who have storage units and whole rooms and spaces packed with things for the "someday" garage sale or ebay or make something out of it .. and meanwhile they're living in packed spaces not usable to them. I'm wanting my life to get easier. Easier to clean up, easier to live in.

I have several places I'm thinking of next.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm letting go of 3 cookbooks that I've had for about 20 years and have never cooked anything out of them. Would never get rid of the ones I actually use, but these days I usually end up finding recipes online.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 pm

I had cookbooks I got rid of too, BH & Gardens holiday ones I'd been given. They were nice to read through, but who has time for all that fancy stuff?! I also had printed out sheets all organized into folders; those went in the trash. BWTG Elly.

I've added a TShirt and a zippered vinyl pouch from something to my donation bin. Ok, I am having a hard time with this one: I've worn through both seat sides of my favorite denim capris. I wear these things constantly they are so comfortable, soft and baggy. It's not the throwing them away that bothers me, it's the not having them any more to wear. I guess keeping them wouldn't bring them back in some kind of usable condition anyway.

So I looked through the closet and found 2 more denim capris but the 1 is a bit tight. The 2nd one I don't even remember, but they fit. Don't like them as much as the old favorites because there isn't any front pockets, but they will do. Old ones in the rubbish now. Man, that was tough.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:54 pm

The trash and recycle bins were full when I took them to the curb tonight.

The trash included a big black bag full of old costume dresses. I salvaged several zippers and cut the skirts off of 3 gowns to use the satin & lace fabrics in an art project, but let the rest go. They would have taken too much work to be wearable again.

I flipped through a pile of health and cooking magazines but didn't find any pages to keep so into the recycle bin they went. From a stack of paperwork and mail I kept half a dozen pieces of paper to file; the rest went either in the recycle bin or the burn bag.

Sooner or later we'll have the right combination of enough rain and enough time to build and watch a fire in the back yard chiminea to burn the paper sack full of papers with personal info. I could shred them, but we have some fallen branches to burn, so might as well use the papers as kindling.

I had planned to do more decluttering today, but DH needed a chauffeur twice. This morning I followed him into TheBigCity to drop his car at a mechanic and take him to work. This afternoon I had to drive in again to pick him up at work and go check the progress on his car. (Rebuilding the front brakes.) The car wasn't done yet so I'll have to take him to work in the morning again very early, and probably another trip at lunch time to pick up the car.

Each trip turns into at least 1 1/2 hours, sometimes more, so it all adds up to a huge chunk of time out of the day that can only come from the decluttering projects. :|

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:54 am

I have a few things loaded in the trunk to donate.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:46 pm

An old t-shirt thrown out...I wore it while coloring my hair. I find that's an easy use for dh's old t-shirts.

another book, vase, and plate added to donate pile.

Re: throwing out comfy pants...I know the feeling. Had comfy gray sweatpants that kept me warm all winter. Had to let them go with the coming of spring. They had almost become my uniform, but they were beyond saving. I surely don't eat as much now that I'm back in real pants! :)
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Ha! We could be sisters, elly. I had 2 t-shirts going that I'd used while coloring my hair, decided I really only needed to keep one. I have a box under the sink I keep one in, plus the old towel. Other t-shirt got tossed. I also tossed another top that faded in a couple spots. It was one of my good ones and I was disappointed, but it was too long (like a tunic) to use everyday so that one is gone too. I haven't even begun to go through the kitchen yet.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”