Books about Decluttering and Putting Things Away

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Lynlee

Re: Books about Decluttering and Putting Things Away

Postby Lynlee » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkPlsEj7MA
this lady has some good folding demonstrations - the above is general about the method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIjGlMD0Nz8
is about folding shirts

now - I need otd to church
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Thanks for the videos. I took the time to watch a couple and will watch more in a few days when I have a chance to breathe.

Will try and remember to take the book with me tomorrow since we have a fair amount of driving and I could read then.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:05 pm

I love the "tidying up" phrase will take atvantage of a ten min. Tidy can really make a diff in a room.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:37 am

I spent some time on my sock drawer this morning but only got it half done.

Her crazy words:
"Socks and stockings stored in your drawer are essentially on holiday. They take a brutal beating in their daily work, trapped between your foot and your shoe, enduring pressure and friction to protect your precious feet. The time they spend in your drawer is their only chance to rest. But if they are balled up or tied, they are always in a state of tension.. they roll about and bump into each other every time the drawer is opened and closed....What treatment could be worse than this?" p. 81

She then gives her folding method (also illustrated in the videos at the link Lynlee gave.)

So she sounds nuts there (plus wrong, my socks also rest while in my hamper and while line drying), but her method isn't crazy. As I unballed my socks to refold them, I did realize they had been compressed and they were expanding, fluffing out, as I released them from the tight wad. So she is right in one respect, but I would have written:

"By folding the socks using my method, you give the fibers a chance to return to their full fluffiness after being compressed between your shoe and foot. This ensures the maximum amount of cushioning for your feet each time you wear your socks."

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:45 am

My love/hate relationship with the book continues. I refolded the t-shirts and found a way that I can see the patterns on the front. I was just storing them upside down (collar up, not down). And I've folded some of my socks. Both folds get way more items in the same space. Which is going to give me room to put my scarves and perhaps belts in a drawer (they currently hang on the back of the door and make noise when it is opened and closed.)

On the other hand, after watching the video I realized I did my underwear 'wrong' but when I refolded it this morning, I found her fold wasted space since my drawer is taller than hers so I went back to storing them on their end (looking down on the spiral) instead of side because I can get way more into the space. I did flip 3 control-type pairs on their side that wouldn't stay in the spiral, though.

Forgot to take the book with me yesterday. Will bring it today. It is nice and small so will fit in my bag.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:23 pm

I finished the book this morning Kathryn.
Not sure what to say quickly.
I think after christmas it would be good for me to give her method with sleeveless tops/ singlets a go. I refuse to look beyond that. No all my clothing will not be in a pile on the floor. Not doing that bit.
I currently hang most things - tshirts and slips. only singlets/ undies/ hosiery are in the drawers. I'm not sure that will change anytime soon. but maybe. I don't need to reorganise until I'm done sorting the sparks of joy.
I do like the turn over method I use, of wearing things in turn, and if I don't want to wear something for long enough, maybe its time to go. (unless its a special occasion something)

I'm trying to forget MK's dysfunction and eccentricity, and just consider the suggested process. Maybe there is a cultural shift with the translation too.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:02 am

I have winter stuff pile on the floor already after washer fiasco last week so I need to give it a go with those and sewing projects? Listening to this audio book on U tube now.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Cultural things may be an issue. Today, for instance, when talking about storing all my possession in one place she pointed out it would only be a few steps. She's serious about one place, including winter coats. Well, I come in with a wet coat and wet boots and the last thing I want to do is move those items to my closet with my dry inner clothing. Yet, my clothes, purse, shoes, hats, mitts, everything are to be stored in my bedroom and not in the front hall where it makes sense. Her argument is it is only a few steps more, but mine is those steps would be really inconvenient if trying to grab a coat and run (for instance in case of fire.)

I don't even put a wet coat back in the front hall closet - we have hooks on the closet door to hang things to dry before putting them away. I'm sure she'd shudder at the thought but it makes sense to me.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Keeping like things together makes sense to me for example the sewing room in the basement where the sewing machine is the fabric is as well.
Upstairs I have yarn and fiber, however some fiber is in the basement as well after drying it on the line never made it upstairs to the creativity room.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Later on in the book she says how she leaves her shoes in the hall, to go into the shoe cupboard next day. I think that means - outside the door of her apartment in the hall. The shoe cupboard in just inside the front door, and that is where she keeps her 'otd in today's purse/handbag' things.
Kathryn - It makes perfect sense to keep things needed only outdoors in a closet near the door, and I'd be wanting everything bone dry and clean before I put them away too.
I think you need to make it fit the place you live in. Those who need a mud room, usually really need a mud room.

I do think she is writing about a completely different style of living. Minimal space and rooms.
All of your personal possessions in the bedroom is her suggestion (well except for shoes perhaps ;)

- when you live alone, there is a tendency to spread out.
I rather like having another hairbrush and nail scissors in a drawer near the back door. My nails are forever breaking and that is handy, and especially in winter, I love to brush my hair in the winter sun, without needing to return the brush to either my bedroom or bathroom, where there are multiples of brushes and even more combs of all styles gathered in the bathroom cupboard. I can see a category of brushes in my future, but refuse to jump ahead to it just yet, or even commit to an aim of just 1. (There is another hair brush in my glove box, left there after I went away and forgot to take a brush)
I'm trying to be open to a different way of doing things, and a different result.

Towards the end of her book she does write about why she wrote it - to help others with huge anxiety on 'tidiness' as she had. To tell how she overcame her own dilemma, and went on to find others helped by that method.
I think the rambling way organisational books are often written is 'interesting'. I don't think MK has that all on her own.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Return to “The Decluttered Home”