June Declutter and Organization, 2016

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

June Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:33 pm

There are as many ways to declutter as there are people who discover clutter. Maybe our efforts will spill over where we least expect it.

What you want to do is clear one area. This is your no-clutter zone. It can be a counter, or your kitchen table, or the three-foot perimeter around your couch. Wherever you start, make a rule: nothing can be placed there that’s not actually in use. Everything must be put away. Once you have that clutter-free zone, keep it that way! Now, each day, slowly expand your no-clutter zone until it envelopes the whole house! Unfortunately, the neighbors don’t seem to like it when you try to expand the no-clutter zone to their house, and start hauling away their unused exercise equipment and torn underwear when they’re not at home. Some people don’t appreciate simplicity, I guess. - Leo Babouta, Zen Habits

What's your method?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: June Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:00 pm

This week decluttered 3 of our chickens lots of open spaces for em to roam on now.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:34 pm

well done d nancy

d harriet I like that. I have to remember if it is not in use the item doesn't belong there
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:34 pm

I think that guy must have a wonderful sense of humor. Can just imagine someone creeping around to make sure their neighbors' underwear drawers don't have torn garments. The reason that's ridiculous is the idea we'd EVER get finished with OUR whole houses and have a minute to think about anyone else's. Ha.

It is so hard to believe I'm back to bedroom decluttering and that marks the 3rd round through the house for me. As ya'll know, 2016 is the year of the hotel-room-like bedroom for me (for master bedroom). This is because dd36's family needs it every time they visit, and they really need it to be decluttered with space, space, because of the 4 boys and especially the baby.

Anyway, if you're like me and find that cleaning and decluttering are linked to each other:

Consider scheduling declutter ahead of cleaning an area. I go along with the Focus Cleaning Schedule (that link will take you to the Cleaning calendar in the Cleaning Forum) and place decluttering of each of those rooms/areas in the week AHEAD of their Focus, and it helps.

My June decluttering will look like:

week of 6/6/2016 bedrooms (cleaning porch/entry)
week of 6/13/2016 bathrooms (cleaning bedrooms)
week of 6/20/2016 office or "other" room (cleaning bathrooms)
week of 6/27/2016 closets (cleaning office or "other")

substituting different areas whenever it matches the needs better.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:42 am

Like this quote, Harriet. Have printed it off to use not only here but when I get back north next week. I'm trying but it's very hard in a house when the man of the house could care less if it's neat and organized to any degree. :cry: :roll: But I keep on working at it. Wish I could be in 2 places at once so I could keep at it this summer. Know that by the time dd comes back early August that it will be completely undone. Thus her impetus to do much of anything is undone as well -though she too keeps trying. And with the trying to get ready to move, OH MY! :o ;)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Wow, there's been so much declutter here to tell.

Dd sent another "tall kitchen trash bag" packing for donation.

During bathroom week, we organized the front bath's drawers. Dd and I gave up on all the little boxes of band-aids and put all of them, loose, into a low, resealable sandwich-sized type container that's clear. It works much better in the small drawer but you can still find a cartoon band-aid if you need it!

Wanted to mention that ddil brought over a wrapped present for one of her nephews yesterday, knowing she had already put the 2 AA batteries into the little car. Unfortunately, it was discovered that a handheld part needed a 9-volt as well. :roll: Ds and dd36 went looking for one in our "battery drawer", in which I have one of those one-piece drawer organizers with an upper and lower area. They figured they were going to be plundering around, but easily put their hands right on a new 9-volt.

Dd36 said, "Look at you! All organized!"

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:37 am

de-cluttering is right!!! good for you!!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:23 pm

I decluttered the outdoor fire pit gave it to the neighbors that are building a new house thought that they could use it sure enough they could so one of their boys & I got it to their place, the timing is great just before the forth I am hoping they can enjoy somores hot dogs ect. Over it like we did. The smoke bothers my eyes and we have the other one with wheels now.

I need to sort and round up a few more things for decluttering.
Went through 4 baskets of stuff.
Plus I have pared down photos on my tablet! That was fun.
I have removed not current projects from living room.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:31 am

Pitching stuff out today one can full more to go! Yea me !

Return to “The Decluttered Home”