July Declutter and Organization, 2016

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

July Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:53 am

The half-year mark is here! Do you know where your clutter is? :)

Do you intend to leave it there or evict?

Do you have a report, complaint, or new goal for the rest of 2016 you'd like to tell?

“It's interesting to see that people had so much clutter even thousands of years ago. The only way to get rid of it all was to bury it, and then some archaeologist went and dug it all up.”
― Karl Pilkington, An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington

Harriet

Re: July Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 am

Can you already tell that clutter could be an obstacle to a calm and happy time of hosting and meaningful celebration for you during late 2016 and holidays?

One available tool is the Focus cleaning calendar, which is in the middle of the 3rd of its 4 rounds right now. Consider adopting that schedule through your home, decluttering ahead of cleaning, to be confident that clutter will get out of the way of your preparation and enjoyment :

early July closets (cleaning in office/other)
7/4/2016 laundry (cleaning in closets)
7/11/2016 storage (cleaning in laundry area)
7/18/2016 outdoor (cleaning outdoors)
7/25/2016 kitchen (cleaning kitchen)

After the next (4th) round, Focus goes to maintenance to give time for celebration hopes.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Sometimes it's hard to insist to myself that I'm going to stay on my own schedule, even at times it doesn't seem as important. Like lately, when my schedule said, "closets", and it's easier to say, well, probably no one is going to look in my closets over the holidays, so why not quit on them. But it's still important. Without attention, my closets can't let me bring in any more items for proper storage, and that's letting the clutter win somewhere else in the house. Better to keep it up!

SHEM
Amidst all the clutter, beyond all the obstacles, aside from all the static are the goals set. Put your head down, do the best job possible, let the flak pass, and work toward those goals. - Donald Rumsfeld

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:46 am

More plastic bottles, and stuff like that from underneath the laundry tub (we have a cabinet under the basin). Under the kitchen sink also cleaned out. Was reading a decluttering book and she was talking about how people save every little twist-tie, used or not :oops: so I cleaned out one drawer and threw gobs of them away. They come with my garbage bags and I don't use them, I shake the rubbish down a bit and tie up the plastic itself. Threw out a bunch of plastic bottles and lids. DH takes my drink to work with him in those, but I was getting too many.

Several stuffed animals and dolls in the donation bin. DGD has outgrown these. I saved 3.

Cleaning out stuff feels uplifting to me. Freeing. I watch those tiny house shows with real yearning. I'd like to clean out about 80% of the stuff around here and go into something small. It seems like it'd be so easy to clean and tidy up. Sometimes I just feel stifled with stuff here. I know it's from all the paper around, and I'd say that's a big part of wanting to retire, just to be able to clean out all that stuff.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:44 pm

To be donated: 6 wine glasses, a wooden tool box, and various cross-stitch supplies. Will drop those off this week. Also will declutter 1 book by returning it to library. Sorted Christmas ornaments last week. Faded ones went in the trash along with ones I don't like anymore. 1 raggedy towel going in the trash.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”