December Declutter and Organization, 2016

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

December Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Harriet » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 pm

December may be the month we appreciate clear spaces more than any other! We can offer hospitality and have an easier celebration if we are seeing and enjoying decluttered surroundings.

The Focus Cleaning Calendar is firmly into maintenance this month. Hopefully, we're appreciating progress that happened through the year.

Do you have any big decluttering plans this month? How will some decluttering help you at holiday gatherings?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: December Declutter and Organization, 2016

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Not for me in Dec. I push the the pause button on it have gotten books & mags. Stacked on the table out of here. I do need to reclaim my desk and sewing counter.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:05 pm

I'd agree about desk and sewing areas, Nancy - those are the reclaiming projects for me.

Was it Twins' who said something in PWYC today about 10 papers handled on the desk per day? I fear that would only keep me even! Still, a good plan through the December frantic-ness.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 pm

I threw away another few strings of old Christmas lights I was tired of fiddling with.

Happy happy happy to come home Thanksgiving and find that DD2 and DSiL had taken that big ugly marble coffee table we'd been storing up to his brother's apartment. They carried it up to 2nd floor up steep steps with narrow turns. Another brother was going to store it in his garage, but we'd kinda been discouraged from asking him...so we were stuck with this thing which was in-the-way clutter for us.

I have a real bug about people storing their stuff in other people's places. DD has been dealing with that for a while, with the rest of his brother's stuff in their tiny 1-car garage that is already packed. They also had his sister's stuff (big pieces of furniture, etc.) which came out of a storage unit and she hadn't taken back. Couple weeks ago family had a 60th bday party for her and DSiL made boxes for all this stuff, wrapped it up somehow and carted it all to her apartment: happy birthday! Now there's a way to declutter!

Dove

Postby Dove » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:22 am

Hi Harriet :) ! I didn't have decluttering plans but ended up doing so twice this month. First, when dh & I were planning when to decorate our tree, I realized I was dreading it a little because we've gathered so many ornaments over the years. It seemed more like a chore than the fun it usually is. I told dh how I was feeling & asked if he would be OK with only taking our favorite ornaments out of the boxes to hang. He agreed! We did that & both loved the result. When we take down the decorations next month we'll pack up those left in the box. Dh isn't ready to donate them yet, but we'll look again in a year or two as there is space to store the box in a corner of the attic. Maybe I'll bring it down one summer when we're not in a nostalgic Christmas-y mood & can be more ruthless about decluttering them :idea: . I'm happy that they are out of the main ornament box, & at least halfway out the door.

We hosted family for dinner this year & while gathering up the Christmas dishes & serving pieces so many things were crammed into the little attic cupboard that it was hard getting anything out. Dh was with me to help carry things down & I asked him to please grab me a box. In went the dozen plastic reindeer kid cups, the candlesticks I don't really like, & several misc items, to go to Goodwill next month. It felt great, even though it wasn't much stuff. Best of all, when we brought everything back upstairs to store until next year, it was so easy to put everything away.

Hi Nancy -- I'll join you in reclaiming my desk very soon. Like you, I usually don't declutter in December (but I never say never ;) )

Hi Harmony, & thanks for the laugh! :lol: That birthday delivery story is so funny! Happy for you that the coffee table is now out of your way.

See you all back here in January! :mrgreen:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:00 pm

I worked on my creativity room aka office and the living room. Sort of hoping family would be here but dgd is ill. Oh well it is nice to have that progress.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:37 am

you all are awesome!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”