Declutter Strategy Meeting, January 2017

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harmony

Re: Declutter Strategy Meeting, January 2017

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 am

Hi ellyphant! Nice to see you here.

I carried the packed full shredder out to the fireplace and burned all that. Then I tied up the bag (I have a tall kitchen container in here) and it was stuffed full! I carted it out on my shoulder like Santa to the bin outside. Feels great! I do have a bin packed to the top in one closet, things I've been gathering to donate. Been waiting to get a moment to help DH go through his closet. He has a lot of pull-over shirts to donate as he no longer wears the ones without pockets. He doesn't want a man purse to carry his pen and glasses, he wants shirts with pockets! :lol:

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am

Thank you, HARMONY! Your shredding is inspiring me to try and fill up our shredder today.

I'm thinking of donating a set of 10 books which would give me room to display something else on that shelf. Off I go...
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Only ended up donating 5 books, not 10. Glad I dropped everything off this morning ahead of torrential downpour. It's a good day to stay in and focus on clearing the desk here.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

I worked on the dining room table this week it is so much better now yea!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm

I am making progress back in my office. My closet is about 6' wide with 6 wall-to-wall 16" deep shelves plus a shelf size place left at the floor. I've worked at it till the closet is only about 1/2 full. I have a few loads in the outside bin to throw away, old binders, etc. and tall kitchen garbage is 3/4 full and some shredded, and a bunch in the recycle. My donate bin is way over the top and I'll have to separate that into a couple bins to get it out of here. Sometimes when I tackle stuff like this it's just a lot of moving stuff around to different spots, but this time I did get rid of a whole bunch!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:30 am

I'm constantly pulling things out to the donate box in the garage. I need to do some list making, so many areas!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:26 pm

1 book to recycle bin, 2 pairs of socks to trash

like-new bathmat to donate bag along with 15 books

I'm on a roll here. Surely this will be all for a while. Got rid of a lot when we moved last year. Don't intend to move again...at least not voluntarily!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 pm

We've had our current copier/fax/scanner for maybe 6 years. Old one went up into the top of the closet because DH, as usual, was convinced he would be able to fix it sometime somehow. I mentioned it to him again and he instantly said oh lets get rid of that. So out to the trash with the dvd and the syringe refill kit and the big heavy cord adapter. Nice beautiful empty space on that top shelf now.

It's the best this closet has ever looked!

BWTG, elyphant! Books are really hard to get rid of. I got rid of a whole big stack or two of books a couple years ago. I forget the number. But I had to make 2 trips down to the library and gave them all to the Friends of the Library for their book room. Mine were all really nice practically new cookbooks, decorating books, etc. All hardbacks. I don't miss them.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:21 am

I have a box in the garage of books to donate. When I'm doing an errand run and think of it, I fill up one of the reusable bags that you get sometimes and take it to the local library (not downtown) and take it in to donate. I have lots of the reusable bags so I just park nearby and drop it at the front counter. I can carry that many, while I couldn't load the entire box up and get it there.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Haha! These books all came from the library book sale in another state a few years ago. You've both got me thinking that they should go back to the library sale here. The first 5 were decorating books (already gone), but these 15 are hardcover annual recipe books from a well-known magazine. I got my money's worth just looking at the pretty pictures. They are heavy. Will have to make several trips carrying them from the car. Good tips, ladies!

Yea for your dining table, NANCY! My desk is still a mess. I have distracted myself with the bookshelf for a few days now.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”