Declutter Strategy Meeting, May 2017

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harmony

Re: Declutter Strategy Meeting, May 2017

Postby Harmony » Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Blessed, you are doing a lot of good work.

I think we have to figure out in our minds why things are like they are. Will we not have any memories of things if they are tossed? I believe for the most part we will not forget. But things that are truly not important to us any more, we might move on and not think about any more. And that is good. Room in our homes and brains to live with new and consider new things.

I clean out because it gives me peace, time, and order. Order is very important to me. When I can't find something or if something takes me twice as long as it should I get very anxious and sometimes angry.

My pile of photos to discard are sitting at the end of the counter right by the garbage can. I've not been able to throw them out yet. They are pictures of DH's parents friends, neighbors, people we don't even know, their vacations and homes, etc.

And see that's the thing, our stuff means something to us, it's our memories, our dreams. But after we're gone someone will look at it all and say what is this, why did they keep it? And it'll be tossed. I don't think we forget the things that go out...unless that thing really isn't important. Clearing out stuff leaves room for new spaces and times and new thoughts. That's what I want.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:27 am

well said D Harmony, very well said!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:05 am

today: I have no idea what we will be doing but I am trying to get a grip on clutter verses what is a hoarding problem.

my photos, my body have become my hoarding problem that I must work on.
I have to dwindle down my art work that just sits in closets.
I need to go through the garden stuff
sport stuff I no longer use. lol I can't use

Clutter is building on the church bench and the front hall cabinet.

things that are under control now that I have worked on for years:

my books and magazines - definitely under control - I only keep a magazine for one to two months at the most - if I like an article; I take a picture of it and put it on pinterest.

history and education: oh the things I kept for children and what I thought I was keeping for history - they have libraries for that - any newspaper article can be easily found. If I find something interesting I can always write what newspaper it was and the name of the article in my calendar to look back on it.. but not once have I done that. Most of my education things (99%) are gone - donated or tossed. All my books on early childhood education - gone. I am almost 58 and I will not be going back into that field again.

crafts: I only have kept 2 - and a small box of sewing/craft things - I do have to decide which sewing machine I will choose to keep.
fabric is all gone! yay - If I work on anything I will get the fabric and finish the project.

my proudest accomplishment: My dream wish stuff is gone and I am only working on 2 things a year. I did keep my navigation stuff because I really want to work on that.

my old multiple size cloths - I had beautiful cloths but I am huge now and it didn't help to keep it.

etc.
other peoples stuff that needs going through: dvd's are building
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”