Declutter Strategy Meeting, June 2017

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: Declutter Strategy Meeting, June 2017

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:28 pm

well done d nancy!!! you even haven't been feeling well and you still decluttered.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:09 pm

saw this meme: eliminate instead of organize

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:25 pm

I like that, blessed!

This afternoon we did some work in the shop. DH really resists getting rid of anything out there. But we went through a couple of the paint shelves. We threw away all the gallons that were stiff and no good any more, ones we could save we put in smaller containers with new labels. I don't know how much space we gained, but the garbage bin outside is half full of old paint cans!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:38 am

well done d harmony and mr. harmony :D :D :D !!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm

as I have been running around and I needed a break I haven't decluttered for a little bit. I am planning to do small decluttering

a plan of attack for photos:
d mom is coming to my house once to twice a week, starting tomorrow, to work on my photo hoard so that she can take back the pictures:
I will pull one book today and copy each picture so that she can write on it who it is so that dd younger can put it on ancestry

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 am

worked 3 hours on photos with d mom yesterday... boy it's hard and tedious

my hope is to work 1 hour a day. it will take the whole summer if we continue to work on it daily and once a week with d mom.

proud of myself of something that I didn't realize had become a routine. I go through magazines once a month and if I don't read them I still get rid of them... it's still hard but even though I think of it as wasting money; I know I will never get to it as I have many more important things I want to learn or do. I also have a mr. rogers saying of the day calendar that days will pass and I will forget to keep the date current - I used to put those calendar pages aside and read them later but now I don't even look. I had the calendar still on the 12th and just recycled the pages I didn't use without looking at them. It's hard but also clears my mind.

decluttered my french papers to a much leaner learning environment

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:34 pm

I solved the magazine problem around here. I quit subscribing! We do get stacks of trade magazines and they're free, mostly big advertising things. I look at the few articles in the front, sometimes there's useful information there and I tear out anything DH needs to see and the rest go in the recycle. I try to look through them within the first week they're here.

I have a big TA-DA to report! I'd made a remark to DH about that file drawer we tried to go through a year ago and he quit and we never got back to it... and before I knew it he was back here pulling files. We took out 38 lbs. of papers and catalogs. I couldn't even carry it all so I cleared out a recycle bin (a bunch of plastic bottles DH thought he'd want and then didn't) and put all the paper in there. When the weather clears we'll start burning all this stuff.

Funny thing is, I can't see the mostly empty file drawer when it is closed, but somehow I can "feel" it.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 am

wow d harmony - good for you on not subscribing! awesome awesome awesome on getting rid of 38 lbs. of paper - A HUGE BWTG!

I LOVE THIS:
Funny thing is, I can't see the mostly empty file drawer when it is closed, but somehow I can "feel" it.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Today, dealing with all that paper. I've done a lot of shredding so far, and for a lot of it I just tore identifying information from the top and shredded that part. Much of it is in the recycle bin. I have 1 more bin to go through, gotta take the staples out of a lot of it. This is a huge job and it is just one suitcase of stuff and 1 file drawer cleaned out. When we do the whole office it is going to take gobs of time.

Finished that last bin, lots and lots of staples to remove. My fingers are sore. Recycle container all filled up. Wow, it's heavy. I'm glad it's on wheels or I'd never get it out to the road for pickup!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:08 pm

When the recycling went, we all filled cans full. Broke down some large boxes, etc. Today getting ready for trash guys, I also did a big clean-out of fridge. That's the best time to plan grocery shopping, too (which I'm doing). That way if there's a spill you catch on to it BEFORE coming home with groceries, lol.

Elizabeth said there was a container store coming to her area. I could benefit from that in my kitchen, too, probably.

Ya'll have been doing so well. Interesting to be able to feel there's organization and better space even when you can't see it.

blessed that's so cool about photo organization. Not the case here.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”