Declutter Strategy Meeting, September 2017

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

Declutter Strategy Meeting, September 2017

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Welcome to our thread in which we chat about declutter efforts. We try to give at least the equivalent of 15 minutes a day to clear and organize our lovely homes! You might rather combine efforts into longer spans on a few days, or maybe you like marathon sessions to get a bunch done at once. However you fight against clutter's takeover plans, we'd love to hear about it!

Today is the 3rd anniversary of the Cleaning Focus Forum, too.
From previously:
"No matter what your thoughts on cleaning may be - sharing your own plan, or asking advice, or giving encouragement - the new Cleaning Focus thread should be a helpful hangout! "

Decluttering benefits cleaning, for sure. If you want an area to be easier and faster to clean, it helps to get the clutter that's there out of the way or organized first.

In the fourth and last actual "round" through our houses in Cleaning Focus 2017, to get ready for holidays, this month the Focus weeks will be on
bathrooms, office (or "other"), closets, laundry, and storage.
Then that plan takes us back toward the "hosting", or more visible spaces in October, so that by Nov 6 they are ready so we can plan for company and calm celebrating, and "coast" along on maintenance cleaning.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Declutter Strategy Meeting, September 2017

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 pm

I have done some decluttering in the master beroom closet, also a stack of color books yea for progress they are gone!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:26 pm

I did some big decluttering yesterday. A local charity came and took away our living room sofa. The room looks better and I now have a space for the Christmas tree. After Christmas, we'll move our bedroom sofa down here. Husband wanted to have the sofa recovered, but it was not my style anymore. Have also been decluttering limbs from the yard. Yay for progress!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:01 pm

ellyphant, it's awfully nice to see you posting with us! Good job on big decisions.

We've been doing a lot in bathroom area and office area lately. Happy to have an additional small cabinet added in our front bath, for some extra storage. I still need to make good decisions about what is to be stored there, as opposed to the sink cabinets. And make sure none is clutter. This one, being new, may be the likeliest one someone would glance into! :lol:

HRH keeps telling me to trust him about office. :| He says he sees a grand plan for arranging it better, but can't explain it. Hmmm ... ... All I can do is vacuum the areas he moves things out from, and hope. Yesterday he moved a bookcase without realizing that the side of it was against all the church files from '15 and '16 and they all fell to the floor. Sigh. Thankfully, not all mixed up, thanks to the file "suitcases" I had bought for each year. Today I asked him to help me find papers that were ... right here (I waved my hand in the open air because the surface is gone!). That took a while! But found.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 pm

I had a meeting with the holiday zone, decluttered some fall & holiday things.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:12 pm

A moderately-sized metal with glass top computer desk is outa here. Someone gave it to DH and he brought it home thinking DGS might want it at college. But I knew that apartment (DD stayed in this complex up there) and I knew what furniture she was buying for him. There was no room for this thing, and the bolts at the bottom were a bit rusty so it needed repainting. The glass was perfect.

We gave it to neighbor who used it to store her stuff for her yard sale, but last week brought it back. We put it out front with a free sign. No takers. Yesterday DH and I loaded it up in the car and I took it to GW. It really was a fine piece if we had a use for it. Glad to have it gone.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:14 pm

HARRIET, thank you, it's nice to be here!

I donated a small end table. It might be cute painted, but I'll let someone else do that. I love seeing the empty space where it sat.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am

wonderful d elly!
yay d harmony!
bravo d harmony!
woo hoo d nancy!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am

I went through cups this morning trying to use the one in one out concept! Tossing the ones with the worst stains or wrong size. I tossed junk from the table and kitchen counters.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”