Declutter Strategy Meeting, October 2017

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

Declutter Strategy Meeting, October 2017

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Welcome to our thread in which we chat about declutter efforts. We try to give at least the equivalent of 15 minutes a day to clear and organize our lovely homes! You might rather combine efforts into longer spans on a few days, or maybe you like marathon sessions to get a bunch done at once. However you fight against clutter's takeover plans, we'd love to hear about it!

Decluttering benefits cleaning, for sure. If you want an area to be easier and faster to clean, it helps to get the clutter that's there out of the way or organized first.

In Focus cleaning, the plan takes us back toward the "hosting", or "front" rooms, or more visible spaces in October, so that by Nov 6 they are ready so we can plan for company and calm celebrating, and "coast" along on maintenance cleaning.

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Declutter Strategy Meeting, October 2017

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:56 pm

The powder room upstairs needs a new faucet and I bought one last week. I thought DH was going to work on it yesterday because he had the day off work. In preparation, Sunday night I took everything out of the cabinet and off of the counter and packed it all into boxes.

The vanity cabinet is much too large for the small powder room, but it was there when we moved in and renovating that room is a whole 'nother topic. It's a single sink with counter space on both sides and 2 shelves below.

DH forgot to work on the faucet :( so everything will stay in the boxes until the weekend. In a newer home, replacing a faucet might be a quick project, but we have learned in this old house that nothing can be repaired quickly. Especially with plumbing, we wait until we have a long block of time during normal business hours in case we need to run to a hardware store for more parts. I hope this Saturday's schedule will stay clear for this project.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the look of the empty counter. I threw away lots of stuff while I was emptying and packing the cabinet. I'm hoping that now there will be enough room for everything on the shelves underneath and the only items that will live on the counter will be the hand soap and the toothbrush holder.

It is so much easier to clean an uncluttered horizontal space.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:50 am

4 misc. dishes out of kitchen have been donated. 2 heavy college textbooks in the recycle bin--don't know why we have toted those around for almost 40 years!

I don't have specific decluttering times around here. I just constantly keep a watch out for useless things. :)
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am

Took two leaf size bags to Goodwill. I moved my seasonal clothes from one closet to another. This included shoes, purses and clothes that I no longer wear. Additionally I added a few books and reading classes. I was ruthless in letting my summer things go. Will do the same when I reverse closets in the spring.

I have several pant suits that I sometimes think of letting go, but they are classic cut and seldom go out of style and I find I still wear them from time to time.

I also decluttered the nightstand drawers next to my bed. I keep my migraine meds there. I put them in easy to reach containers, and marked the tops with what type of meds they were. My migraines usually wake me in the middle of the night and this way they will be easy to grab and go when I need them
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:16 pm

:D Got a load dropped off yesterday yea for progress! It works so much better when the autos are running lol!
My strategic plans are in no particular order - Animal print pants are leaving in the next load.

I have some wedding cake tier stuff bagged up in a book bag from the basement I am letting go of delivered it today. To dil's home fir grands to use some day.

Then dishes I cannot put in the microwave leave when the kitchen is the next focus room. I will put em in the car on a meeting day and take em down to the thrift shop before turkey day.

I will be working on de-cluttering the counter in the sewing room when h gets the new light fixture up. Done.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

I started out this week getting dressers reorganized de cluttered and cleared. Moved out some seasonal items more to do but I had to take a break to rethink a couple of decisuons for clarity, short sleeved stuff needs to go in a diff drawer or down stairs to make room for things still out on the bed. Phew that was a job but glad to get to it before trash say in the morning! Yea me.

Kit. counter got more attn. Also.
Plus two other hot spot areas in the dining room.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Decluttered larger serving dishes and a couple of Christmas tins, & one pair of shoes I barely wore that did not work out, felt great to let go of those items.
Master bath room it decluttered now.
Yea me!

AustinGranny
Registered

Postby AustinGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I found one way to declutter in the bathroom; I got a 'new to me and free' vanity cabinet and there is no place to put anything except my toothbrush holder and the soap dispenser on the skinny edge around the sink. The old one had leaky faucets and wear and tear damage from previous owners (original 1983) and our 'Handy Guy' stores still good cabinets when other owners upgrade to granite counter tops and such. IThis one is smaller than the original and I'm looking for a narrow CLOSED storage unit to fill in the space. Or maybe I'll just leave that nice space open.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm

I decluttered under the sink, and in the pantry, also living room & on top of the microwave. I took out a bag of trash from my efforts. Yea!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

I got under another sink discovered that I had previously decluttered under it. So I worked on the drawers in that room.

Also 1 pr black dress slacks that did not fit and sevetal tote bags.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”