February Clutter Control

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: February Clutter Control

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 am

this week february declutter of our dharriets is the kitchen. I didn't finish last time the wall paper removal as life got busy but now that I am back in here I will finish it.
hoping I can spur dh into wanting to paint next weekend.

things I plan on getting rid of. I have some things for the local food kitchen. I could wait until the church gathers the items but I know I can get rid of things right now. I buy canned black beans, vegetables for this purpose. So I will get rid of these.

also found the blue thing to keep cups on really doesn't work well for me.. (shelf covering). so out that will go.
I will also look for things that don't work for me. things I keep with no purpose or use. ravioli maker is going out as doing it by hand is less mess. hate tossing a good item but it is of no use to anyone. it will make me think next time I buy.

also my dmom gave me 3 soup tureens. I can use 1. I will keep 2 for now but I know I won't use it. So I will decide this wednesday on donation.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:33 pm

something some one said on clean house: Are people in your life guilting (not a word sorry) you into keeping things or are you doing that to your children. I loved this for me.

february 23 vehe farm is coming over tomorrow morning to take my antiques.

february 25 vehe farm man took some things, also went to donation test
hoping this weekend to work on the kitchen. I need to do something for my cookie trays.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm always thinking in my head of ways to reorganize my home. This weekend we decluttered and organized two kitchen cabinets. I moved some baking pans and cooling racks to the stove drawer. The other cabinet holds our mixing bowls, casseroles and storage bowls. We got rid of the plastic storage that didn't have lids or bottoms which gave us room to put in a rubbermaid set of lids and bowls with their own stand. It just fits on one half of the bottom shelf.

Before the week is over I want to reorganize the cabinet that holds our canned goods. I try to keep the canned fruits in one row and the vegie cans in the next two or three rows, then the boxed mixes. The other side of the cabinet holds pots & lids, etc. That will be next to rearrange.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:00 am

great great job sunny on decluttering and organizing in the kitchen!!! great for you.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks, Blessed. You are doing a fabulous job also! We also got a call from the AMVETS this week reminding us of their stop in our neighborhood. Dh and I both rounded up a large bagful of clothes that were still good but we didn't wear anymore. So that is gone also. I still have more drawers in dresser and chest of drawers to go through for the next time. We get a call almost once a month. So I have no excuse for not following through on this! :roll:
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 am

Sunny great job on getting Amvets to your home for pick up. I think having a place near by to drop of weekly has been my saving grace. great work. I am copying you on the kitchen for dejunking according to our dharriets plan.

my dejunking goal today: go into drawers of kitchen. I hit them every focus time so I can close those drawers! :lol:
going to ask dd13 to make me a cookie sheet organizer as what I am doing now is not working. a weekend project dh and her can do together unless dd19 wants to help.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:30 am

Speaking of the cookie sheet organizer idea, I have been so impressed with how much space I can free up by changing my thinking to VERTICAL sometimes. Recent change-to-vertical space savings: trivets; mailing supplies like large envelopes and bubble wrap pieces (using a Priority Mail box to contain); art I'm not displaying right now, flat craft items. And changing to vertical magazine storage using cardboard mag holders is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can collect magazines and not drive myself crazy. Also I have noticed: desk utensils horizontal = frustration, even in a nicely arranged drawer. But desk utensils vertical and everybody's happy, seeing their scissors, rulers, eraser sticks, markers at a glance. Gift mugs you like but have no idea what to use for are perfect for this. (Crayons still need a box, and one that closes WELL! LOL!)
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:16 pm

great job harriet! I have been really trying to think outside the box regarding organization. (well beyond my box 8-) )
I like what you did with the vertical thinking. you got me thinking and that takes a lot! :lol:
sending you a great day!!!

today for dejunking is hitting the last resort drawer. things I keep that I am trying to decide what to do with.
where it should go type thing. first off I repaired the drawer with wood glue as it was breaking from so much stuff in it.
the touching of things I have to make decisions on always (always!) drains me. I emptied it on the dining room table and I have to decide what I really want it to be. thinking... credit cards/gift cards, etc. did it :D

Alrighty. found 6 (yes 6) disposable cameras, all with some pictures taken on them :oops:
but fixed drawer and now have it set for camera, film, my small purse everything else is where it should be.

next drawer in kitchen (junk drawer) tools etc. :D
dh did everyday utensils :D
i did two other drawers :D
now for napkin drawer :D
next my desk drawer is full again, so that is next :D

Return to “The Decluttered Home”