February Declutter Hearts Turn Toward Home, 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

February Declutter Hearts Turn Toward Home, 2018

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 pm

Home. This is our dream space!

Let's take time this month to show some love to our homes by freeing our dream space of the clutter that crowds it.

We always cherish pictures of who and what we love. As you work around the house this month, take your imaginary camera and snap a picture of that crowded shelf, the cluttery corner of a room, the closet that isn't functioning well. Instead of looking past the clutter (as we ALL do ) imagine that you are going to show this photo to a friend (maybe to us! :idea: ) to explain how what's in the photo is part of your dreams. Try to zero in on the difference between what is loved, and what is crowding you. How can necessary things be stored with less visual chaos?

While we don't exactly love the structure, property or things that make up our house, the love that we have for the precious personal space of home can't be denied! Here is where we nurture our well-being, hold our family close and shelter the memories that are meaningful. Here is where we will find the space to grow into our creative, contented, generous future selves.

Love your home enough to let go of clutter and let the dream space bloom.

Harriet

Re: February Declutter Hearts Turn Toward Home, 2018

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Even though I wanted to move on from office/other room by now, I do have a report:
Worked on all the paper, cardboard, CDs, etc. in three 12x9x6 boxes and one 3-ring binder of all the Angel Tree work from 4 years of my being in charge for our church. Reduced to one 5-pocket plastic accordion file. Now if someone else will take this work in 2018, I can hand them a single file. But if no one will, at least the different years are organized.

Reclaimed space: about 2 square feet.
Reclaimed mental health: ;) terrific.

Returning to a bathroom puzzle i'd had:
Wipes situation in front bath wasn't working. Little ones, and sometimes adults, needed wipes but they always looked out of place, or adults didn't want to use what seemed to belong to someone else. Found that the Pub lix generic refilable pop-up baby-wipes container (and maybe some other stores' generics, don't know) is plain white. There's no embedded design or brand name like Hug gies. I removed the front label and now it is our general refilable wipes container in the front bathroom beside the extra toilet paper roll. It doesn't look either babyish or adult. Just looks like wipes would be in it, neat and clean.

Reclaimed space: none
Organizing for love of home: check

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 pm

I used a little white container like that for under my kitchen sink where I put my unused green/yellow sponges. Neater than the torn celophane package.

New question: what does everybody do with their cardboard shoeboxes? They seem like such a handy place to store things, but I have too many. I keep my shoes in clear plastic containers instead.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I do use them, but it's usually haphazard. Have used for craft storage, but only until a better container comes along or the supplies are used up. Recently "lost" one that was holding beads. HRH didn't recognize it as a craft and put it in a closet. So obviously, that wasn't the best. The beads needed to be in a clear-ish container I could label better. Some do hold shoes. Two that have the hinged lid with a lip store my DVD workouts in one and small weights in another. The weights one can slide under the bed so little hands don't find them to drop on toes.

Continue to chip away at the mountain here in paperwork land. Got a push when HRH and I were both going to have to sit at my desk together for some work. That forced me into some bigger decisions.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 pm

I tossed some more stuff from the back yard & carport today. Trash can was only half full so I filled it. Yea for progress! I sorted a crate of old dog toys and hen feeder cans.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57 pm

howdy
put my old (fake with old parts) spinning (large) wheel out for trash - it broke to the point I can't get it fixed. Really hard to do. but it's outside ready for next Friday

https://www.etsy.com/listing/398629093/ ... 87EALw_wcB (similar to this) its not a working one (no place for threading)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

That was a great wheel, later smaller versions were called parlor wheels.

I went through some fabric pulled out some remenents bagged up glad to have that decluttering session done. One session at a time is great progress.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Two "large kitchen garbage bags" full, out of the master bedroom closet and its shelves. I will call this finishing up on the "storage" week. So I am slow to catch up, but still working.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I rounded up donations and got them loaded in the rig to go this week.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”