June Declutter, Graduate to Higher Goals 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

June Declutter, Graduate to Higher Goals 2018

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:28 am

Sometimes you're ready to pick some "Graduate Work" 8-) , mark a goal date on your calendar, and break through to a higher level of clutter control!

If you make sure you are taking steps to advance in your decluttering journey, you'll continue to be motivated! Don't stay at an elementary level of "just keeping up". Be inspired to dream big and set goals that will truly improve your home and your state of mind!

How can you graduate to an advanced goal?
Could you pick an area of your home and take it from "so-so" to Magazine-Cover-Shoot level? :o
Is there a storage area that could go from "helpful" to "downright efficient" with attention from you?
Is there a space you've been dreaming of decorating as soon as you finish the decluttering there?

Tell us all about your decluttering changes. We'll be so impressed with your advanced degree of inspiration!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: June Declutter, Graduate to Higher Goals 2018

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Mine is to empty out the basement.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Declutteting woes "Do you have a ____ ( what ever item needed) no I decluttered it last mo." We were not using it. This week it is a covered clip board.

Some dishes are going have been loaded into the car now that it is here. Top shelf is very bare now needs dusted and wiped down.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am

Okay so I found that clip board h was pleased. Now that the meeting is over. LOL! :roll: Daily decluttering continues even if it is only one item per room sometimes that is still progress. One more bookcase shelf sorted. Daily Journals dumped. Yea for progress it is starting to show now.

On a roll now got another cabinet decluttered in the kitchen yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Nancy, you are doing great, and sound very determined.

I used DD's visit as a chance to declutter some stuff. I told her I did not want to give her stuff she didn't want because she is moving, but let her decide. I gave her probably 1/2 - 1/3 of that set of green plastic wear I'd bought because the set was really too big for me and I had enough for both of us. She also took a big plastic container I had no use for, one of those big pretzel containers. She is going to put several boxes of legos into it for DGD.

I gave the boys all that was left of my little model cars, which they used to collect. I had several they thought were neat and they took a shoebox full. I gave DGD the little soft stuffed bear, lavender in color which she loved and had been playing with. So all of them are gone now.

We were playing with some craft items and I got out my left-overs, stash of ribbon pieces, pipe cleaners, laces, stuff that was nice and I kept but would probably never use. She makes a lot of stuff. She took home probably a shoe box of that kind of stuff.

I had 4 nice woven halloween placemats someone had given me I'd saved for them, never used, and finally she took them with her. They do decorate for halloween and I'm not so keen on that holiday and never would have used. So all that stuff is gone now and we're all happy!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Thank you Harmony. Today I seem to have run out of steam but did get plastics out of silverware drawer.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:50 pm

Good job, declutter warriors!

I enjoyed today's declutter project even though it took a lot longer than I'd planned. As I suspected, a rather large box containing old class notes, newspaper clippings, and a few personal papers -- victims of a long-ago stash & dash. It has been making me smile to speed read through them and then toss into a recycle box. By the time I got to the bottom of that first box, I had tossed more than 3/4 of the contents and will continue to throw away more.

I used to clip recipes from the newspaper because I couldn't afford to buy cookbooks. There's absolutely no need to keep any of those any more. I have lots of cookbooks now and if I don't have a recipe in one of those, I look it up on the internet.

Old articles about job search tips and Miss Manners etiquette advice. Gone!
Lots of class notes, newspaper and magazine clippings about computers and the internet from 1997-1999. Gone!

(Also ran into a magazine storage box full of computer magazines from the same era. Tossed the magazines, kept the storage box.)

Found half a dozen articles that were publicity for charity events that I had a big part in back then. I set them aside for now and may or may not keep them for a scrapbook.

I temporarily kept a few humorous articles that I want to read more slowly before letting them go.

Whole newspapers which I flipped through but couldn't deduce why I'd kept them. Maybe I just hadn't had time to read them before the stash & dash? I noticed how much physically larger the newspapers were back then compared to now -- heavier to carry out to the recycle bin.

Found a few magazines that I have no memory of ever receiving and no idea why I would have bought them. Maybe free trial samples? So so easy to toss. Should never have been stored in the first place. Perfect example of the hazards of stash & dash.

There is a 2nd large box which I'll open tomorrow in the hope that it's the same type of collection and just as easy to downsize.

This is my main project for the rest of the summer. The more boxes I go through and get rid of, the faster and easier it is to sort through and get rid of more. I am finally reaping benefits from dropping out of some volunteer jobs to make time to do personal projects at home. I'm having a very good time creating empty space.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:31 am

I was so tempted to get a pad of tracing paper for 25 cents at a yard sale, but I have some only mine has graph lines on it. One storage unit had craft supplies mostly and a few rock eggs, it was good to see that it was the kids were dealing with it and we are saving our kids a lot of work.

Got the toy box empty so it can go out next. With a sore knee I am happy with kitchen progress small light weight things. We are eating some odd meals canned stuff to get the items used. Making for an interesting meal or two.

I can see progress in every room now.

Sun. Got 2 of three piles in wooden sm. Desk in/out boxes sorted today. Cleared off a tall rolling cart in the creativity room aka spare bedroom.

Thank you for the atta girls!
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 am

I guess my June decluttering project has been dd's old room, now our guest bedroom. She still has a very hanging things in the closet that mostly need to go, but the room looks good and is clutter free. For our guests I put a couple of magazines up there, moved a light from my office, and put a flower in a small vase.

Now the clutter frontier moves to the garage. On THursday I took three large bags of clothes, etc. to goodwill with a couple of ballet pictures from dd's room when she was little. Also empty boxes with styrofoam to transfer station. Garage is still full of stuff, I continue to want to get my car into it and work toward that end.

This week, there are more bags of stuff that dd packed up to go to Goodwill or where ever. I want to look through those before they go, I see a beach towel in one and I'll check for any of my clothes as well. Fifteen minutes a day out there? I'll try!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:59 pm

"the hazards of stash and dash"

sounds like a scary movie title. :|

Here I framed and hung some art that has been waiting. That takes both the frames and the art out of the "clutter" category. LR has been forced into some declutter because of air conditioning work. We rearranged some furniture. I continue to work against office clutter while office clutter continues to make babies.

Reported in Cardfile Central that I've updated declutter and cleaning for July cardfile - back to bubble-in tracking of fifteen-minute segments. If I have "advanced" at all over the years it is in getting some good record-keeping groundwork done so I can dive in to the work and know where I should be. But when I feel good about the house, someone reminds me what about the storage and I remember I'm not exactly at any "graduate work" level!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”