July-August Declutter, Escape to Indoors 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

Re: July Declutter, Escape to Indoors 2018

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Crafts decluttering was a lot of help at end of month, even though I have so much more. I organized several containers (like rubber maid or ster ite) and even put little notes in a couple to remind me that more fabric, for instance, was in another project container, if I needed it. So later, that will be instant knowledge instead of trying to remember!

Big help that everything about ribbons/twine/string is in one container now. Not all will be used for the same kinds of things at all, but gathering them in one place so sensible for me.

Index cards are so much help with any partially-clear container. I write (boldly, like with a Sharpie) what's in the container and place it inside facing out in the direction I'll see it. Then I can put that container almost anywhere but see right away what's in it. And the card is protected but visible. It doesn't even need to be taped, so I can change it anytime.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:34 pm

hello d harriet! I am dejunking but need to put it here! wishing you a great day!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Harriet ~ Would you like to rename this thread to combine July & August? I would be ok with that, since we need to Escape to Indoors during the August as well as July, whether in our summer or our southern hemisphere friends' winter.

I am continuing to dejunk various rooms. Any cleared space is good.

Yesterday I spent about an hour going through 5 boxes of sewing fabrics & supplies -- 4 medium size and 1 large, although thankfully the large box was not totally full. Of all of those, I kept 1 bankers box 3/4 full of cotton batik prints and 1 small box of costuming memorabilia. The rest is either in the trash or a donation box to take to my sewing group.

Those boxes were all from when I did costumes for community theater and in those days I had to keep every little scrap to use for decorations and repair patches. For awhile I thought I was going to return to costuming, but now I think probably not, and therefore all of those types of sewing supplies are leaving the house as quickly as I can sort through them.

I also found 3 empty plastic bins :? which only needed to be washed out to be useful, so I washed them. I can use them now for sorting, and because they are translucent they won't become black holes that make me forget what's in them. :)

The trash and recycle bins are full to go out the curb tonight, always a good feeling.

Harriet

Re: July-August Declutter, Escape to Indoors 2018

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm

BookSaver, you are very observant and empathetic to see I was barely getting to everything. lol. We are now posting in the July-August Declutter, Escape to Indoors 2018 thread!

And, yes, it's so true we are still escaping here. Everything is determined by the heat. It's the topic of conversation most places. That or the thunderstorms, which, of course, are because of the temps. Whatever spaces we have indoors become refuges - also shadetrees!

I want to get my craft and office spaces sensible and organized well before holiday prep time is here. (Have I already missed it? I expect to see blessed chatting about Grand Plan any time now! :shock: )

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 am

I have a box I decluttered and it is ready to go to the donation center. Get a couple small trash cans full of papers from decluttering today as well.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:57 am

d harriet - I was thinking the same thing the other day! :shock: oh my gosh, how is it possible?

I love d books suggestion to put it as jury-august declutter!

yay d nancy!

I have been working in the basement - I am so so tired of clutter building over and over. On the patreon channel of Kat's she put the clutter collection in terms of a Rolling tide - it's like every tide drops more and more stuff on the house (all the mindless clutter). I feel like that with everyone. (including me).

dh has been so happy dropping off all of the stuff I am getting rid of.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 am

We get the prize for the BIGGEST item decluttered!

Saturday, DH and I both waved down the guy going by with a truck and trailer with multiples of odds and ends in it. He recognized this fellow must be scrapping for metal etc. When the guy came back around to see what we wanted, DH gave him the last riding lawn mower which hasn't worked in years!

Took some doing to get it on his trailer with all his other junk, but finally DH just hooked a chain and pulled it alongside with his truck and they got it on. The scrapper guy was determined not to leave without it.

While he was here DH also gave him some really big steel fasteners, the kind they use to fasten big light poles to the ground with.

I am beyond ecstatic that thing is gone! We really didn't know what to do with it as our recycle place won't take them any more and the landfill is at the other end of the county and it was hard to load up...so yippee now it's gone!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:29 pm

I put 2 baby spoons in the declutter bucket today, and got out a couple of lawn chairs we can let go of. I will work on loading up the donations in the morning on Sat.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am

I spent an hour Tuesday and a little over an hour Wednesday going through more boxes of supplies from my costuming days. I even found 1 box that we moved here in 1993 that was nicely labeled "mending and in progress" -- :oops: -- mistakenly put into storage and forgotten in all the stress of moving. I saved 1 project from that box, saved the pretty buttons from 2 white blouses no longer worth mending, and tossed all the rest. Filled 3 tall kitchen trash bags of fabric scraps, old patterns, etc. and those went to the curb Wednesday night.

I am getting rid of all large boxes and consolidating keepers into smaller boxes that will fit on shelves.

2 shopping bags have stuff that I might donate to a friend who is building a haunted house. For example, there are several pieces of tulle & netting that he could use for making ghost props. However, if I don't find any more for him, I'll throw the 2 bags away as it will cost too much gas to deliver.

I'm finding a few treasures along the way to keep the process interesting. Otherwise, it feels good to be able to make easy decisions about a lot of things I don't need any more.

I'm hoping the next set of boxes I open will hold fabrics that are nice enough to donate to my sewing group.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

quick hi! cheering everyone on!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”