September Declutter, Study What's Next 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

September Declutter, Study What's Next 2018

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:15 am

Stepping back to take an overview, reassess and plan - is there any more important part of our decluttering progress that that?

September, the month of back-to-school, agendas and new scheduling, is a great time to step back and STUDY our lovely homes again, in relation to clutter and in relation to the calendar, too. We're still months away from holiday moments, so we can prioritize our declutter appointments now to make our lives easier when it's time to welcome and celebrate.

And speaking of September Study, how could you aim a declutter session to benefit your own lifetime of learning? One of the wonderful benefits of decluttering is having the space and time to try those interesting subjects we've always wanted to learn about.

Let us know what you LEARN!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: September Declutter, Study What's Next 2018

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:24 pm

This week I decluttered two bags of plastic sacks from the groc. Store I returned them in for recycling reclaiming a lot of room in the pantry and auto.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:55 am

Progress in my sewing/craft area.

Some of the items decluttered over the past 2 weeks:
- Took a tissue box full of flattened/folded plastic shopping bags to the library where patrons ask for them on rainy days. I can fit 40 or so bags into a standard size tissue box. That's a reasonable number to save for a specific purpose, and I only save bags that are very clean for the library.
- Delivered 5 or 6 plastic bags full of plastic bags to a local drop point for recycling them (not allowed in our curbside bin). I accumulated them some years ago when I learned about cutting them into strips for "plarn" to crochet. I remember my grandmother crocheting kitchen rugs from strips of plastic bread bags. I made a tote bag several years ago for a theater prop, and I'm halfway through crocheting a sleeping mat. I don't think I'll make anything else from plarn as it is not very practical, so I'm ditching the rest of the bags.
- Emptied several boxes of craft supplies just by combining similar items into containers from previous efforts
- Took a large bag full of fabric out to the car to deliver to the sewing group's freebie table on Saturday. *\o/*

2 large bags of trash and a box of recycling that included:
- 2 styrofoam wig heads that I thought I would use to display vintage hats, but the person who gave me the heads had painted them and over time the paint began flaking off, which would ruin the hats
- a few theater costumes not worth repairing
- large stack of craft papers I'll never get around to using
- 2 needlecraft books - text directions with very few illustrations, hard to understand
- several sewing patterns, very dated styles in small sizes
- vintage fur hand muff that had shed its fur
- 4 boxes were mostly fabric scraps (I well remember those days of needing to keep the scraps, and I'm grateful that I don't need to do that any more.)

I will be able to get rid of a lot more on a 2nd pass through, after I see how much is really there. For now it's just really helpful to condense the boxes and get them up off the floor onto shelves.

I tried to vacuum the floor in there yesterday but I had forgotten that the outlets in that room are the old 2-prong style and my vacuum needs 3. I know I ran into an adapter plug somewhere this summer and I should have been able to find it in the misc. junk drawer in the kitchen. (Doesn't everyone have one of those? ;) ) It isn't there. I hope I didn't throw it away.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:23 am

Wow, way to go, Bookie.

I'm doing a declutter where I do one item on Sept 1, two on Sept 2, and so on to the end of the month. I think that's over 400 items by the end of the month. I'm writing them down in my Best S Journal to keep track, although some are pretty general, like when I got rid of a some kitchen utensils when I cleaned out the drawer on Tuesday.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 am

I am doing the shop with cooler days it is nice except the smoke is back. I did a round yesterday yea for progress also did some paper declawing.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:13 pm

look at book, twins and nancy! yeah!

I have decluttered 1/3 of my cooking things. They are now blessing others. It took a long time.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:45 am

Yea for all the progress. Got the outlets we took out and replaced bagged up and out the door.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”