October Transforming Spooky Spaces, 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

October Transforming Spooky Spaces, 2018

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Into what corners of your house do you peer cautiously... …

look deeeeep into the dark spookiness of clutter... ...

and then RETREAT, 'cause that stuff's a FRIGHT?!?

Well, go grab a costume and practice your grimace in the mirror, because
in October we're turning the tables. We're going to scare some clutter right out of the worst corners, crevices and under-spaces we've been letting intimidate us. If it helps, as you open that dark cabinet or pull out that drawer that you dread, holler “BOO!” and hold your pre-set timer out in front of you to ward off procrastination!

Come in to tell just how scary your spookiest space is, and post about your inner monster and how she sent that clutter packing, to inspire the rest of us!

Oh, most important rule : in October we all get treats after every 15 minutes.

Harriet

Re: October Transforming Spooky Spaces, 2018

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:34 pm

The organization I did get done ahead of starting into the HGPlan's scheduled creativity - even though it wasn't perfect - is truly helping me this month as I enjoy my sewing.

I was able to take a photo of the room standing in a corner, so that the door to hallway was very much in view. This showed the change that most people would notice if they were used to walking my hallway, as all our children are. Sent that to the 4 children and got a lot of positive feedback on that. (They understand that the point was to clear, so that I could create! :idea: But creativity is not messiness - it is a joy.)

As far as spooky clutter in the house, I'm most afraid to take a peek at the unkempt front bathroom, now that dd is home with us and racing from deadline to deadline. Spookily, that is the logical bathroom visitors will use! HRH says that, in fairness, there is no space for her hair supplies, for instance, plus so much drip-drying, so much cosmetics/toiletries. We need a better plan for her things so they don't scare visitors or her parents!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:46 pm

WTG Harriet!!
I love your spooky opening. Also love the promise of treats after 15 minutes. ;) It is getting chilly enough here that my chosen treat for today is a nice cup of hot chocolate.

Yesterday and today:
Decluttered more sewing & craft supplies consolidated into fewer boxes and a few gadget put into new homes in little drawers. Stack of magazines in the recycle bin.

I let go of a beloved canvas briefcase that I carried for a couple of decades through various classes and then to costume production meetings. That bag held a lot of hopes and dreams. It had reached the point of no return for repairs, though, and needed to leave the house.

DH took 2 ancient computers with CRT moniters to a free recycling truck this morning.
We also delivered to a free dumpster a vintage metal Coleman camping cooler which maybe someone would be able to sand and paint to restore but that would NOT BE ME! :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Tip of the day comes from local fire dept. News letter on fire prevention week
"keep doors and windows clear of clutter".

Got the lite we replaced this weekend loaded in the car trunk h thinks it could be donated, some folks take them apart for candles this time of year. The globes could be used with votives as well it was taking up quite a bit of space so I had set it outside. And 12 globes went from 2 lites and spares yea for progress clearing those out of here. They were in the carport by the door.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 am

Disappointed to find that this is not "our week" for the recycling truck, when I have gathered so much recyclables by purging cardboard boxes that weren't pulling their weight around here. Oh well, they can wait a week I guess.

It's a shock (spooky?) to me how companies from whom I have barely purchased - and years ago - continue to send big catalogs that are bigger than some magazines or bigger, at times, than a weekday newspaper. I purge these and it seems like no time until they are weighing down a table again.

Dd wants to get rid of a couple small pieces of furniture from her room. Small cabinets that don't serve her purposes, and are very utilitarian - almost cheap I guess. But they look fine. I'm torn between trying to find uses for them elsewhere or tossing.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 am

I have a few things to put in the trash can today. Need to keep up with the one in one out rule here.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:48 pm

"digging" into the cubbies of LR furniture was SPOOKY two ways - first I'm doing it in prep for an upcoming party of dd's friends that wasn't supposed to be spooky but now is happening at a different date, so will be sort of halloween. Second, I found so much out-of-date why-are-we-keeping-this-stuff stuff! Shabby old things lurking! Oh well, spiffy now, even in the deep corners!

Tobias found it all very spooky to be pulling out the furniture he planned to take naps upon, but we found his lost cat toy. He and I both kept hearing it (little bell inside) so he was stalking it/me :lol: and finally I saw it and gave it to him. Big declutter find for him.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”