November Declutter: Rake a Wide Path, 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

November Declutter: Rake a Wide Path, 2018

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:00 pm

When organizer Matt Paxton goes to a new job (famously filmed many times on Hoarders), he carries a rake with him.
Maybe we don't actually need anyone to hand us a rake when we declutter (notice I said “maybe”, lol). But, let's be honest, there are times when the job is big, and we don't have a big chunk of time.

November can be like that, with more entertaining coming up than at other times of the year. Holidays are around the corner and we're gonna need our clear spaces back!

When we have autumn leaves/twigs to deal with, we look for the widest rake to pull everything into neat piles fast, right? Well, thinking BIG like that indoors can be the answer when we want to clear a wide declutter swath quick.

P and P suggested big boxes to quickly corral lots of items at one time while working, such as everything for donation going into its box while the work continues non-stop.

Will you try to make a bigger difference this month? What are your favorite tips for the times that the fastest results are needed?

Harmony

Re: November Declutter: Rake a Wide Path, 2018

Postby Harmony » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Well, not a rake, but an axe and other tools to get rid of that big couch!

It is a problem sometimes getting rid of big things too heavy to lift, too big to fit through doors. Then what to do with it once it is actually outside. I will call our waste management company once I decide what we are doing with the other 2 pieces in the room. Tonight my DGS said we could have waited until he and his brother are here Thanksgiving and they would have shlepped it outside somehow for us. Yeah, I actually thought of that, but you know, who wants to look at that thing for over 2 weeks while squeezing in and out of the front door? :lol:

I have decluttered a lamp; 2 end tables (great big things) are waiting DH's help to get to thrift shop.

A couple big plastic containers went to the recycle. It's so "freeing" to get rid of this old stuff.

Thursday update: We loaded up those big end tables and took to thrift and the guy was happy to have us help get them out of the truck. He made a remark about how they must not be particle board because of their weight. Nope, solid wood with a glass door.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Decluttered the pantry and tossed a paper grocery bag's worth of items that weren't within date. I had believed there wouldn't be much, but was surprised that there was more than I thought.

While working Monday, a big box helped me corral everything for dd to take to her room.

Made arrangements for the old refrigerator to be taken away as the new one is installed.

Under-stair low closet is cleaned out. Quite a bit tossed - some paint cans we thought were still good weren't, so it's nice to be rid of them. I put a stool inside to sit on and was inside vacuuming so didn't hear when the family called me, lol. The noise of the vacuum was reverberating in there.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Dining room was decluttered enough to let a large family photo be taken there Saturday. Funny that I was so sure I was done but in the photo you can see the top of the tall China cabinet needed more decluttering.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm

It is raining out no raking here today!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”