April Declutter and Organization, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: April Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby blessedw2 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

I am so sorry that I haven't been able to come here - I had lots of thoughts and congratulations but my dear old brain shut down for a couple days. :D

d harmony, I felt the same way with marie Kondo's book. I did watch the Netflix videos that she was in and I could see how she advised the clients but they did the work. One program, with the widow, touched my heart and I could see what a difference in her life that Marie had on her. \

I don't see things in the spiritual light. After dd older work with some hoarding type people that thanking the item might help them let go. I also think by seeing what is current, in their lives, is a journey that is different for everyone. I have become a big advocate for those who have so much stuff to have professional (therapy) support to see why one keeps things and sees it as an extension of events and people.

I am not sure the timetable these individuals are given. I also wonder if some individuals didn't finish the process as it may be too overwhelming.
The idea of taking everything out and working hours and hours would burn me out.

Its usefulness to me is gone... but I am grateful for what it once meant. ---- People that hold on to things I feel (and the author also said) are holding onto the past and/or afraid of the future. I think we all must be sure of our ability to manage whatever the future holds and survive and thrive in spite of uncomfortable changes. We must trust ourselves. Holding onto everything from the past does nothing to aid in this. It keeps us stuck in the past, both good things and bad. Our memories of all that remain in spite of where the items end up. If the memory fades, it was not that important to begin with.
this is truly amazing and wise!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 am

D Harriet,

I like how Marie separates things into sections to work on during ones decluttering.
I disagree that she has people pull out more than their brains can deal with. I see that with both my girls and myself.
I also have found her folding ideas actually work and are easy to do.

I forgot about the count downs!!! I think that's what I do but without cards.

I know what it is to have good intentions, work on a project and have frustration when you're only partly done.
Yes, I think we all know what it is like and we have all been there.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm

I find something useful in just about every declutter book I've read. Some are better than others.

Currently I'm reading Throw out Fifty Things, by Gail Blanke. Finding this an easy read, with humor and wisdom. As she goes through her own belongings, she writes about the different places and ideas and ways to do this and she uses examples from the people she helped. It's a really nice book. 50 things seems like an easy thing to do, but she counts dishes tossed as 1, old medicines as 1, so she is counting groups of things instead of individual items.

Then she goes into emotional things that we need to get rid of. About 1/3 of her book is about this and I am just getting into this now. She has a website and a workbook. There is a page at the end of each chapter where one can keep track of their numbers, or just do it in a notebook.

So, after our big cleanout of the office the other day, we got busy again and did the closet and the stacks on top of the bookcase. I have 3/4 of the recycling bin full again. And the burn pile is a foot high.

Blessed, BWTG on all your work. I'll bet your house is beginning to look better. I know mine is.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”