May Declutter and Organization, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

May Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby Harriet » Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 am

Here's the space to chat about ... .. our space! :)

How are you shaping the use of yours? How are you affecting the visual and the "feel" of yours?

Last month we got into a good discussion of some books about decluttering and decision-making, and the authors' philosophies.

There was a lot going on as far as change in our homes. :idea:

I am getting interested in the idea we've heard before of identifying and naming piles/boxes/corners that need our attention and card-filing them for check-off progress in a countdown. (I like the systematic one-by-one practicality of this.)

"Kondoing" spaces is also interesting - where does this work well and in what areas of life/space is it not as helpful... ...

What are you :arrow: targeting in your spaces in May?

Harriet

Re: May Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby Harriet » Wed May 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Sorry - somehow I neglected to "sticky" this, so Harmony and blessed posted today in last month's thread - check those out.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Sweeping the garage today may have been incentive I needed to get started decluttering there again. I did throw out a couple of things I found, and I brought some towels in to wash. The towels came from dd's car, if she doesn't want them I'll donate.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 am

thank you sweet harriet for starting out us for May!
targeting for may - what a great way to think ahead! thank you.

Yay d twins on sweeping the garage and getting the incentive (and working) on decluttering. awesome.

Wowzers Batman, it's May! I wish I would have decluttered my body before summer ;) 8-)

I had a talk with dear Kat and she suggested that I get rid of all the extra plastic containers (save one or two good ones) and laundry baskets so dd younger (and I) don't try to keep again. I know she's right.

I put out a bunch of no top boxes, some older matched ones for recycling
and put the really good ones out for free (after recycling comes back I will put the good ones with the sign way out in front)
If it does go today - dh will drop them off at donation centre (along with the extra - beautiful cover for dd's bed - she has had it in the package for ten years as replacement in case of the one on her bed getting ruined. ( my d mom bought it). now it will bless someone else.
I also put out an extra full never used bottle of murphy oil soap as I have 5 of them. :D

I got rid of extra pool stuff
I got rid of the good blow up beds this week and bedding.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Fri May 03, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am

? does decluttering put pressure on you? is the process - comfortable or uncomfortable.
I find the small amount of time draining at times. Does that every happen to you.

I am always happy once the stuff is gone out of the house but even the smallest stuff seems to weigh on me while I am doing it (not always but a lot).

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am

next weeks declutter hope on tuesday:

go through garden gloves (I have too many) and tools - dh struggles in letting go of these things - we have 3 shovels and he can't shovel any more.. I will ask him next week.

go through our foldable chairs - beach chairs- outdoor chairs- donate (after cleaning) or toss. I always feel guilty that I am adding to the landfill but it's better than starting a landfill here. 8-) :D

KEEP ON TELLING MYSELF: "MY HOME IS NOT A STORAGE UNIT. MY HOME IS NOT A STORAGE UNIT" :D :D :D by Barbara ??? on uncluttered course.

go through the art work and frames from d mom -
go through a office mail bin in basement
I have a bunch of little containers that I kept for office supplies is needing to be let go.

pots - I would love to get rid of those plastic pots from shed that dh bought last year. they need a cleaning to look like new.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 pm

I decluttered some stuff I was done with in the plant area.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat May 04, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm still at it around here.

Today I looked through the triple dresser in master bedroom. There is very little in there now. I was looking for a couple heavy pull over sweaters but didn't find them. I must have decluttered them before. Good, I would no longer wear them. I found a few things in there to let go of. Mostly not good enough to donate. I found a new package of undies (mens) from when DH changed sizes and I've kept those forever thinking someday maybe... it's time. I put them in the donate bin.

Pulled a couple old pictures out of the closet that DH just had to have at a flea market one time. Mighty ugly things. One is plaster-ey thing thick kind with varnish all over that had turned really dark and cracked. I don't think it's worth anything. Wrapped it in bubble wrap and then brown paper and put way back in the shelf - DH might remember someday and ask... so it's there but out of sight. Another print had turned all dark and the frame all coming apart. I nailed the frame back together and washed it and the glass and put it in the donate bin. The print I wrapped in brown paper and put way out of sight.

I tackled the shelf in the closet next to my desk. All kinds of stuff we got saddled with when DMiL died. Went through it all. It wasn't mine to dispose of, so I put like things together in new boxes that everything fit in. She had a coin collection (nothing worth anything I'm sure) and a huge stamp collection and 2 big albums (nothing worth anything there I'm sure) and a big box of old home movie reels. All in new boxes and stacked nicely. Someday, if DH goes first, I will give to Sis-i-law, whether she wants it or not.

Small shelf clock we also have (was DMiL's also) and I've looked all around the web for this clock. I've looked at every clock made since the beginning of time and it doesn't exist anywhere. Maybe that means this is the rarest of rare and worth a Million...but I bet not...and it isn't pretty and doesn't work... so I'll put it back up on that shelf. At least everything organized it doesn't bother me any more.

It is true, we can't get rid of other people's stuff. I wish we could.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:25 am

Well done d Nancy!!!

Today I looked through the triple dresser in master bedroom. There is very little in there now.
that's awesome!!!
Yay on the other stuff donated or gotten rid of --- d Harmony

It is true, we can't get rid of other people's stuff. I wish we could.
isn't that the truth :D :D :D

Cheering everyone on ---- you are all doing great.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat May 04, 2019 10:52 am

Uh oh. I do get rid of dh's things now and then. :oops: If I can't put his clothes away and I've asked him already to declutter, I'll slip things like t-shirts out into the Goodwill box. He brings one home from every event possible.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “The Decluttered Home”