May Declutter and Organization, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: May Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby Nancy » Sat May 04, 2019 11:21 am

Decluttered more from the plant shed yea for more progress!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Page 2 in the declutter thread already, that's impressive!

Yesterday I spent some time with sewing & craft supplies. Results:
* a small stack of fabric to take to my sewing group next weekend to give away on the free table
* half of a big black bag that is trash, mostly scraps of odd fabrics from costuming and not useful to anyone I know
* I set aside a few fabric pieces to see if they are the right size for projects I'll be making this summer; if they are too small, I'll give those away
* Just a few pieces of cotton print that I put in my stash because they are 100% cotton and I can use them for testing patterns rather than spending money to buy muslin.
* stack of paper/cardboard whatever that went to the recycle bin
* 1 pattern that I think is a duplicate that I can give away

I'm happy with that progress and hope to get back to another round tomorrow.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:49 pm

d book - that is impressive - it's only the 7th and we are on page 2.. how awesome is that!
I am happy for you and the work you accomplished. wonderful!

yay you d nancy!

d twins - totally understandable! be kind to you... you are actually blessing him as well. I have had to do that in the past with all the nails/etc. bc he had everything in a big coffee tin that he never used. I made a drawer system for him - he likes it and doesn't miss his old stuff. He still doesn't use it but it's neater.

today was declutter day - it was a simple pre-thought of day (no decisions had to be made which make me cranky). So today was a joy.
dh continues to have a hard time with the continued process. He had agreed to get rid of most of his plastic larger pots - I bought 4 large ones for his tomatoes - I have the veggie garden prepped and I thought he would use the garden for his peppers. Now he wants plastic pots. Instead of keeping 20 he kept 4 - (I could see his face being a bit cranky at first but he finally let it go).

moved to next week: dd older has a basket in her closet that I want to separate so she can decide - it looks like papers
move dearest fil s cameras in the closet upstairs
blow up other basket ball
declutter pie chest drawer
declutter bathroom things again
declutter anything under dd youngers bed that is left.
vacuum the area under the stairs are now empty - put the american girl doll things under the stairs, I have 2 empty really nice and new plastic rolling bins that I will put there as well.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm

You know, there is so much "stuff" in the garage that I can literally walk out there for 15 min and stay busy without really planning what I am going to do. I might get more done if I planned, but OTOH I'd end up after 15 minutes half-done with something with stuff out of place. Until I run out of the low fruit, this system is working well.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 am

you are getting things done d twins!!! i love the low fruit metaphor!!!

I am able to plan (now) because I got rid of (almost) all the junk out of the basement (it took a year and two months!) Good for you d twins!!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:58 am

dh and I went through 1/8 of the garage. cleaned under bikes and got rid of a couple tools
I wish dh would get rid of the riding lawn mower bc we have had a service for 10 years. It's a toy for him that doesn't get used but it's not mine to decide about.

my hopes this week:
declutter my mason jars. I don't can anymore. I also don't cook large amounts of soup etc. so I don't need them. we still love them for drinking out of them. 8-)
get rid of one basketball
get rid of non bouncy tennis balls
get rid of extra wallpaper
look through foldable outdoor chairs and see what's good and what's not.
put the snow blower in shed along with shovels and salt container.
go through spices

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:23 pm

proud of dh - we went out to the garage again and first he balked but he started to let go of things.
Proud of me too: we went through our portable chairs - including beach chairs. We had started to hoard them with out realizing it. We ended keeping 4 and 8 went out at the front for free - we opened them so people could see them. It was great - I nice young man asked me if we were giving them away - he took all of them!!! (he has kids in soccer and said they would be great - they split them). they are really nice chairs and I bought them not knowing how many I already had. glad that someone could use them. the beach chair is not for this body any more... too low to the ground. lol

tossed stuff as well.

went to donation place today.
I forgot one purse here.
tossed some old rope
dh got rid of string that he has had for years and hadn't used.
donated some metal tape for ducts to my d brother.
tossed a white towel.
dh is still working in the garage... yay and wow

tossed all the wallpaper I saved for years!
went through dd older basket of papers. I have to shred some of them tomorrow. 1 big back for recycling.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I decluttered some odds and ends in the plant cage. Got a bag out to the trash.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:55 pm

yahoo d nancy!!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Ya'll are doing great.

The "low fruit" is a fine choice, Twins' - no reason not to go to it. The only difference would be if tackling the difficult area might actually help organize and get some of the front/obvious things nicer. I have that situation because of my frustrating kitchen lower cupboard with difficult access.

Since blessed is so forthcoming about her mice frustrations, I will also blurt out that I fear that very same cupboard might be easier access for mice than other areas. So I hesitate to put anything that's even halfway vulnerable there (for instance, I know mice walk-and-pee over top of canned goods so even that turns me against cans there.) What is needed is a total pull-out, no matter how cluttery that would be, at a time I can be ready to crawl in there myself and inspect every inch of its walls. (Also having time to repair right then.) If I were satisfied it was okay for storage of whatever, I could relax about it and my kitchen would be the better for it.

Just talking this out with ya'll, I think I'll redeem the bits of hardware cloth I tossed just now - that might help me repair any hole. I've also heard steel wool is a mouse-proofer. Watch me get in there and find no hole at all, just imaginative fear.

Having only every-other-week recycling pickup is a pain. I have to check every time to make sure I'm right about which week. :roll: Thankfully, I have this site because the municipal site doesn't tell you at all! (It's not this week, I've learned from my own previous posts.)

Clothes declutter has again netted me about a half-stuffed kitchen trash bag of clothing to toss. A couple items for donation.
A few buttons worth saving.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”