July Declutter and Organization, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

July Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:26 am

We are at the
EXACT HALF POINT OF THE YEAR!

What a wonderful time to start something anew, to make a plan, to dream a little dream of what could be by 2020. :idea: Join us for at least 15 minutes a day, set aside as a decluttering appointment with your lovely home!

And share with us "where you are" with your own decluttering in relation to the 2019 calendar! How will you keep track of "where you're going" with your decluttering for the next half-year? Will you track, calendar, schedule, MAP :D , or perhaps weigh those outgoing bags?

Harmony

Re: July Declutter and Organization, 2019

Postby Harmony » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 am

Actually, now I don't know where I am. I used to know without a doubt. However, with our thought of possibly moving sometime in the near future (I'm imagining a year ahead) I'm trying to picture what I could do. We need to make permanent set-in-stone decisions before I downsize. Do we build and then downsize furniture etc? What do we do about staging this house...with things that won't fit into another smaller place?

For instance, I have 4 kitchen cabinets with glass on both sides which house stuff I wouldn't keep if we were moving. But if I got rid of that stuff, the cabinets would be empty and wouldn't that look lame? Furniture, one whole set of living room furniture wouldn't fit... and it is nice things, 1 room is new except for 1 love seat which I wouldn't miss even here.

DH wants to be able to get 2 vehicles into a garage, something he's never been able to do because of all his stuff. Build an outbuilding along with the new house? I don't know. And how do we keep all the tools/equipment we'd need to build a new one while downsizing here?

The only way to downsize etc. is to rent or put everything in storage... and the thoughts of getting stuck with 2 houses at once (although this house should be easy to sell)... or get a mortgage to tide us over for the one we're building... and there are a lot of fees and interest associated with that we'd like to avoid...

So I am very confused right now...and I gotta say, a bit scared. I know if we do anything I'll be decluttering like crazy!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 am

can you rent (after selling your house) for that short time while the house is being built? I know lots of people do that and boy do I wish I would have done that when trying out a new home area.

If you are not sure about your stuff - rent a space but don't just put things in there. declutter (really think) do you want to take Everything with you??? probably not.

when I over think it is because I think I have to make decisions all at once. You don't.

If you are sure you are selling your house - can you start emptying it so that it will show better - really par down to what is really you. throwing bunches of stuff in a unit will only delay decisions on your stuff. it will hang over your head.

Your first thing to think about is Do you want to move?
simple down as you decide.

You are trying to hold up too many plates at once - which means time to slow down - what would be the next right thing d harmony?
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 am

Thank you thank you for starting us on the 1/2 way point d Harriet!!!

I am a little delayed on the process of decluttering. the yard is taking my time recently. :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Harmony, you really do have some dreaming, planning and picturing goings-on right now. Plenty to think about. You are such an organized thinker. You will be able to consolidate all these ideas.

I was amused at writing "map" above as one of the ways of looking at decluttering. I wish we had a house plan as others do, but our home was built in stages. It might be worth creating a square foot house plan to map out the clutter troubles, lol. But I think just listing the trouble spots would work about that well.

I need to concentrate on those spaces that will "free up" space for better storage. Some storage or cabinetry or closets aren't being used well. For instance, the pet supplies cabinet is a large square. If I could find some smart roll-out cabinet storage hardware I could probably use half of it for other things.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Right now I'm thinking about house plans because that is the easiest part of all this and the most fun. Looking at property is the 1st step. Could be we might not find what we need in our price range and that would be the end of all that. I don't have a lot of old stuff to discard. DH's shop and garage stuff is the most. An extra room of bedroom furniture, all this stuff in the office. We won't have a separate office room. And maybe too much dining room furniture. Oh boy.

I hope I'm not putting the cart before the horse. DH does not seem anxious to do this but for the first time he is on the same page about it all.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 am

waving at d harriet and d harmony and all
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 am

There was something troubling about all this change. My 6th sense was telling me something I couldn't figure out what. Every day I'd ask DH if he was sure, and talk to him about specifics. Finally last night the whole thing began to make sense. Isn't it wonderful the intuition we women have! Time and again I've had a sense about things, about people, etc. and none of that has ever been false. Men don't have this (I don't think and for sure DH doesn't). Taking things at face value, going full speed ahead is just not wise when I know there's more to come.

Like Paul Harvey always said: and here's the rest of the story. I finally got out of dh what he was thinking about all this. Ah, yep, we are NOT moving, we will just muster along here as long as we can. It leaves a different feeling I have about my home now, and I hope I will be able to get back my contentment again. I actually no longer want to be here.

I will continue to declutter, and keep in the back of my mind that someday there will have to be a change, and I will be ready for that somewhat. I don't want to be bogged down with stuff and have an emergency at the end.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Ok, moving on from all that. Stamping my foot, standing my ground, and moving right along. :)

Purged about 4 shopping bags full of paper from my desk files / folders. 1 3-ring binder in the donation bin; a bunch of cardboard to the recycle. Everything was nice and orderly before and didn't look overly stuffed. Must remember if it looks this way there still might be junk to discard.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 pm

I suggest fun with redecorating, emphasis on "make it your own" changes. "your own" meaning for the you of 2019.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”