January Declutter Strategy

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: January Declutter Strategy

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:40 pm

From the book : Let it Go by Peter Walsh

Test 3:
"My feelings about Stuff

1. I hold on to too much stuff
rate from 0 (not at all) to 5 (very much)

2. Thinking about getting rid of some of my stuff makes me feel sad, anxious, or guilty.

3. I am worried that if I let go of my stuff, I'll lose the wonderful memories attached to it

4. I have so much stuff that I don't know where to start

5. I will be less of a person if I leg go of my stuff

6. I am very strongly attached to my stuff

7. The stuff i own defines who I am

8. Downsizing makes me think of my own mortality

total score for this section: _______________"
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:48 pm

From the book : Let it Go by Peter Walsh

TEST 4: "LEGACY ISSUES

1. I'm worried that my children or other heirs will someday fight over my possessions

2. I'm worried that my children or other heirs will someday think my belongings are not valuable

3. I think it's my job to downsize to make my kids' lives easier later
rate opposite: 5 (Not at all) to 0 (very much)

4. I think it's my family's responsibility to value and hold on to all the things that I have valued and held on to.

5. My family members know which heirlooms are important to my family's history
rate opposite 5 (not at all) to 0 (very much)

6. I know which items my kids or other heirs might want to keep as reminders of me when I am gone

7 I have prepared my will, living will, and all the other legal documents that express my wishes if i become incapacitated or die

8. My "stuff" is the most important kind of legacy I can leave to my kids or other heirs.

TOTAL SCORE FRO THIS SECTION" __________________

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:53 pm

FROM THE BOOK: "LET IT GO" BY PETER WALSH

TEST 5:
FAMILY

1. My family has a lot of strong and/or disruptive personalities

2. some of my loved ones are very controlling

3. When it comes to resolving conflict, my family is very emotional

4. Downsizing will cause huge fights in my family

5. Someone crucial to the success of this downsizing (like my spouse or partner) has a very different vision or goals for this process than I do

6. my family will probably expect me to do everything

7. I think some of my family members will act in their own interest, at the expense of the bigger group's happiness

8. I think that downsizing will be too emotional and overwhelming fo ray family

TOTAL SCORE FOR THIS SECTION: _______________"

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 pm

"SCORING YOUR QUIZ" (PETER WALSH: "LET IT GO")

For each section, you can have a possible score of 0 to 40. The lower your score, the more ready you currently are to downsize.

If your score" (in a section)" is 0-12, you're already in pretty good shape. " then he talks about reading the next couple chapters (I got my book at the library and bought it on audible for a credit)

If your score is 13-26 (in a section), you should allow ourself plenty of time and introspection to get yourself more prepared for the challenge ahead.

If your score is 27 - 40, you should read this book carefully and really start discussing the upcoming downsizing project with your family and friends, and line up support"

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:40 pm

dh took the test.I hadn't realized how attached he is to things. I knew some things but not all about what he keeps.

It is too hard for him to let go of things even though he puts things in their place he has set.

He doesn't think that if we moved that he wouldn't be able to take the stuff from the house and garage to fit into a new house. his sweet dad was the same.

I knew he had lots of multiples of things - they have always been put in their place - but I never knew he keeps things out of fear - fear of being without.

I also know he fears being without tools in case someone else needs it (my dh is not at all handy but likes the appearance of it - bless his soul)

Also I know that he sees something in good condition and he can't understand letting it go.. I have a cobalt blue cut european dish for gravy or salad dressing that I am donating. my mother made me keep it. I have never liked it. It was so hard for him that I was letting it go. I will let him take it to his donation place because he likes the accolades they give him when he brings things in.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 am

Well that whole thing is interesting. I wonder if my library has the book...I will check. I used to watch his program on TV and loved his approach. However, he didn't really have people who had bad mental problems and difficulties discarding excess stuff. My scores are 11, 12, 2, 5, 8. On my own I wouldn't have half this stuff. However, some things people have given us, 3 pieces of kitchen equipment (big) I'm reluctant to get rid of because they might someday ask about them... and a couple things DH bought that we've never used and probably won't. That closet bothers me to no end and I have no solution.

His shop and tool truck is a big problem. And he has way too many clothes but now they are organized and it isn't too bad. I did get big stacks of old wire hangers and those plastic ones they give you with clothes you buy out in the garbage this week.

And all those papers are also out in the can. I have a huge pile of stuff put aside and just need time to go donate them. We will probably take the old wheelchairs to the household recycle place. They took one other one some years ago because it had so much metal on it.

Blessed, what did he mean on test II 'material convoy'? I had to guess on that one. Just a thought: do you think people who really hoard would bother taking a quiz like this? They're usually in denial anyway.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:27 am

Book swap yesterday was successful and timely.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm

I got my copy of his book at the library.

Yay on your work

I think you are doing great d harmony! I think your and my dh may be very similar re: their own things.
the kitchen stuff sounds like you use them.

I also feel the same way - that I can't figure out a solution. I have decided to continue to whittle down my own stuff to what I actually use and want.
My problem is guilt. d mom, dd's want me to keep things.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Delivered donations this morning.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:33 pm

My test results and dh's - I still struggle with things I had planned to do but never got to because I was sidetracked.

1. 9 - I know that I am not as fit as I should be. I also know that our stuff could not fit into a smaller home. I think if it was up to me that I would easily drop stuff. Yes I would be a little sad to move out of this house but I could get rid of a whole lot more easily.

2. 11 - I think we have more that other people do. not so much my own stuff - I have a lot of other peoples stuff - that got a 5 for that one. . I think I would need help to move the heavy stuff. I have no trouble decluttering - I actually enjoy it now.

3. feelings about my stuff: 0 I think it is because I have gone into loved ones homes after they passed that I realized it was just stuff. I already went through the fact that I am no longer young enough to do everything and that I actually over goal-ed - there was no way possible to do everything in my life at once.

4. Legacy issues. 2

I found I have to deal more with my mothers legacy issues than my own - she wants me to keep everything she has made or given me - I have let some things go but she still asks about all of them. I don't want to burden my family with my stuff.
- I really don't want my kids to have to keep family items unless they like it or want it. I am afraid they will think they will have to keep things that I value (esp. dd younger). "if everything is important then nothing is important".

5. Family I got 40 - I know My d mom, my dh, my dd's will have a problem with the stuff we have of theirs in our home. It is a problem that I can't get past. My d mom is a strong woman who has her own feelings she wants me to keep anything she has made or finds important but doesn't want it at her house. she feels that I don't appreciate the things she has made or given us over the years. dh is fearful keeper. He and dd younger are deniers. dd older donates her own stuff but sees the things in house having meaning but doesn't want to keep it herself. They all want things to stay exactly the same. change is hard. I would say this is the biggest problem I have. We see things from different perspectives - no one is right or wrong but different.
dh is the hardest one re: change, repairs etc. but he is a very very good man. I just have to move slow and constant so that the change doesn't overwhelm him.

dh's scores: It was nice to do this - it really helps me understand how he feels
1. 27
2. 17 he believes he can easily move all his stuff to a new house and that we can move all the stuff in the house to a new house. He also doesn't see that our house is more stuffed than others (maybe because I decluttered over half already)
3. 24
4. 12 (he doesn't think he has a lot of stuff so he doesn't see everything the girls would have to go through
5. 27

Return to “The Decluttered Home”