April Clutter Control

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

April Clutter Control

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 pm

We hope you'll join us here in this monthly thread, where we encourage each other to commit to 15 minutes of clutter control time per day, OR the equivalent on other schedules.

Sometimes, a decluttered home comes down to the simplest, most profound concepts. ;)

Pick it up, don't pass it up. Then, put it away.

Memorize this rule.
(Or, have it tattooed on the back of your hand.)

- Pam Young and Peggy Jones in "Organized from the Inside Out"

Harriet

Re: April Clutter Control

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 pm

If you’d like some partners while working:

One scheduling suggestion has been a weekly room rotation together. During each current week, those who choose to will declutter in the upcoming week's Focus Cleaning room as a first step toward lovely spaces. We know cleaning is efficient if clutter is not in the way - we can almost have fun with it. But clutter can discourage or stop us if we can't find the surfaces in the first place. Decluttering is a preceding step that can (literally) make cleaning a glide instead of a stumble.

You’ll find some April declutter partners in these rooms and areas:

Week of March 30 – bathrooms
Week of April 6 - office/other room
Week of April 13 - closets
Week of April 20 - laundry
Week of April 27 - storage

Substitute a different room whenever it will match your home’s needs best, and change back and forth from this plan to your own anytime.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:58 am

Yoo-Hoo! Here I am in the Master Bathroom, guys! Way back here in the rear of my home - can you follow my voice? Well, don't come around the corner without warning, because it's a very cluttered sight! Brace yourselves. :oops:

The "front", or "guest" bathroom is still operating at high efficiency, with everything in its place, neatness reigning and so easy to clean. Very pleased with that. Hope you glanced at it on the way in. :)

But the master is just not seen by anyone but dh and me, and both of us really let the house down by letting clutter pile there. It's the place of last resort for so much. The drawers of the vanity (which is large, actually) are big and cumbersome, the old-fashioned kind you pull out with brute force rather than being on rollers. I use them best by using them for seldom-used storage. The medicine cabinet is attractive but not too much storage help, only for the thinnest things, single file.

HRH says one problem is the free-swinging door - it used to squeak so I asked him to put WD-40 on the hinges and now it NEVER stays where you put it! LOL! Since you only have the width of the doorway, then, as you stand at the first 3 feet length of the vanity, and something is forever hitting you in the rear :arrow: , you can see how there's a problem with ease of use! Right now I'm scooting the bath scale over as a doorstop, so there's also something extra in the way of your feet if you step back! :roll:

Okay, typing this out gives me lots of ideas for streamlining this room for organization, so off I go on the job. Hope everyone is having a great declutter week!
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 am

Tomorrow starts the week of office/other room decluttering, and since I don't exactly have an office, I'm going to work in DGS's room. His mom switched their bedrooms around a couple of months ago, and she really hasn't put any effort into organizing his stuff or getting the things out of there that don't belong. I think if I can even spend 5 - 10 minutes a day in there, it'll give me time to do some of the things that have been bugging me...like switch around the placement of his dresser, shelf unit, and the desk so they're more "appropriate".

Should I miraculously get done the most pressing things in there before Friday, I'll do a bit on the linen closet that's just outside his door and has been crying for attention for MONTHS!!! :oops:
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am

following today your "pick it up don't pass it up" dharriet.

cheering you on as you work dbis sweet.

hello dharriet I love that your front guest bathroom is operating at high efficiency!!!!
so nice about your decluttering system is that even when clutter hits an area you give us a chance to get back to that area so it doesn't become a mountain. standing ovation to you for all your hard work.

I have to tell all that I got a compliment for my very very dorganized dsinlaw. she said you used to be a clutter keeper, isn't it nice that you let go of things. doesn't it feel good. you are doing such a great job. now that is a compliment, especially from someone sooooo organized.

another gone: took elfa drawer system out of garage where we would store dkids stuff. pared so much down that I don't need it any more. dh is starting to dejunk as well.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm

I got a camo bag of camo stuff
ready to go and loaded in the pick
up for dd's place they use it.
That felt great!

Sorting seasonal clothing has begun
making some headway here now
found more things that fit in my own closet
what a great feeling that is!

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 am

I didn't actually move any furniture in DGS's room yesterday - everything's got clutter and "stuff" piled on it! :roll: Instead, I spent about 15 minutes sorting and packing away a diaper box full of clothes that he's grown out of - mostly shirts and pajamas. Today, I'll do another one...pants, sweaters, etc, then post them on freecycle. They should be grabbed up pretty quick..there always seems to be someone wanting kids' clothes :lol:

Like Nancy, I need to go through my seasonal clothes, too. I usually keep a couple of sweaters out for cooler days, but the vast majority of them can be packed away now.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi - glad you all are still decluttering - I like to read about your accomplishments. I have been struggling with keeping up my daily decluttering, and had to let it go during times of family illness lately. Learning to be gentle with myself, and know that I will get back to it when the time is right for all. Still keeping the idea in my mind as I do my daily tidy, and looking for anything that can be trashed or recycled.

Reading the new Peter Walsh book, and keeping myself inspired with his ideas.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 pm

office - spent about 45 mins today in and around my desk. Only a small grocery bag's worth tossed but lots of paperwork dealt with, so better than it sounds. Sent email to dd29 to see if she wanted a few bulky things before I toss them. HRH does have an actual room as an office, but I consider any declutter there his business. I will try to clean for him there next week.

happy compliment, blessed!

Good job on clothing (also child's) bittersweet and Nancy!

I've had to slow down from my early-year declutter speed, too, sherinjoy, for eldercare's sake. So, very glad I got as much done when I could.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:14 am

great job on the office harriet!
also life happens and I have taken your decluttering when it works for me too. I went at it full stream when I had time, but what is so nice about your system is that when things happen you can forget about it until you have time again.

dmom is getting too much together for us from ddad. but I can't say no right now as she is in so much grief. thank Goodness she is very streamlined. so I will deal with it in a few years so that my dmom has time to heal. I don't feel guilty about letting go as because of all you dladies that those items don't make up my ddad. but I am saying no to too much.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”