June Clutter Control

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: June Clutter Control

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:51 am

yeah to dharriet too!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Your yard and patio look lovely, Nancy! :D

Are you finding some areas of the house easier to clean now, blessed?

A jump on office week coming up - HRH has done a big declutter of his office "side" of our upstairs. He even tossed one old computer desk. He has the rug (wall to wall size) freed up on that side now and will carpet-clean before rearranging.

Bedroom week over the last week -
My dad surprised me with at least a partial amount of encouragement for me to declutter more in their corner bedroom/storage room. There is an antique white iron bed in there that he agreed with me would be nice to free up, make-up neatly for attractiveness of the room (and usefulness, for that matter). The wall-long storage bookcases are not visable from the hall and neither is another storage area at another hidden corner of the room, so there's no reason it can't be attractive. I was pleased to find the mattress for it is in good condition. I vacuumed it well and made up the bed, measured for curtains.

It's been pleasant to do that and he did help me, but he is having a hard time tossing things :roll: , so I am having to quietly evict some of the obviously worthless disposable things behind his back! (He will let items go cheerfully, then worry about the box they sat in for years, which he might someday need!) I have gotten all financial-but-not-tax-related in the room gathered into one box. I'm gathering all tax-related next. That doesn't mean we're keeping any of this - we're organizing it and will make sure nothing's needed. Have put all books together, whether children's or novels, etc., and will sort later.

Cannot BELIEVE that we found so much more of those free sets of greeting cards you get from charities. :!: I have already taken some of these to my house and thought I was through. We still found enough there to fill 2 boot-boxes (9x14x12, maybe) and even found more that won't fit!!! These people have been giving to charities for so long!!! I will never have to buy a greeting card again! :roll:
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Wow, Harriet, we're having parellel lives with our parents, maybe just that generation of "savers". My parents and husband's parents saved everything, including boxes. And getting them to part with them was impossible. The charity cards - oh my - 100's of them from in-laws house. Donated them to Goodwill. And now that I get my Mom's mail, and they were on everyone's charity mailing lists, I get 100's of them. I donate them to a Prison Ministry, that gives them to inmates to use for correspondence. I wouldn't be able to use the daily influx of them in years. But my parents drawers in the empty house are full of them, I'll get rid of them when we clear out the house.
Every story you tell of your parents gets my head nodding in agreement of the same experiences.

Blessed, I continue to be impressed with your diligence in donating stuff from your home. I also have committed to living in the present, and letting go of the past. Thanks for the continued inspiration.

Nancy - Glad you are feeling better and able to get stuff moving out. I'm sure that helps your upbeat attitude and positivity.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi - I'm ready to start decluttering again. It seems the first 3 weeks of summer were full of tasks and a trip, so I feel like I haven't started on projects yet. Now I'm ready to start in. I'm reading a book "Throw 50 things out" by Gail Blanke. I'm enjoying it, and getting inspiration for the journey of decluttering.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 am

*\o/* yeah for our dear dear sherinjoy and harriet and Nancy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad you are finding that book so enjoyable and inspirational!!! great job. sherinjoy

it is getting easier to clean house. vacuuming because of hairy dogs in 3 season room is now a breeze! never thought I would say that.

just wanted to come by and wish you a huge CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Hubby has done the to work on getting the gutters cleaned out from seeds
off the maple tree in the front yard. Also made decluttering progress on his
"tool" room aka catch - all room.

We have quite a bit of stuff for the yard sale rounded up and
and will be tagging it for the next few days.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 am

Yeah Nancy!!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Thanks gals!

Yard sale had some snags
the neighbor that was going to do it too
and the add hurt her back
decided not to have hers and did not tell me
until I had most of the boxes of stuff up and out side
from the basement and tagged.
So we just put up signs and
did better than some we've had with adds so yea!
The place looks so much bigger down stairs we
are delighted!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”