September 2022, Decluttering by Design

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harmony

Re: September 2022, Decluttering by Design

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:00 pm

Blessed, I know some people think ALL their junk is very precious stuff that anybody should love. I don't think that way. If stuff is used and good for me that's enough. For others it might not be. I saw what happened when XDH died. The kids did not make the time to come and go through everything and keep things for themselves. They came I think twice, DSiL took a dishwasher and a hot water tank for their house. :roll: I don't think they did anything else.

I went over and twice a week emptied food stuffs that would have gone bad and attracted who knows what. I took personal things with names and medical records and got rid of for privacy sake for our family. There were things I could have taken and kept for grandchildren coming along, halloween costumes I'd sewed, etc. some nice toys, but I felt if the kids didn't bother with any of that I wouldn't either, I wasn't sure it was my place then. And I didn't have the space either. I found things like a wedding ring and a college class ring I gave to them. The rest of it just got left.

I don't want that to happen to my stuff. Nobody thinks about our stuff the way we do because it's OURS and not theirs. Others don't have the attachment to these things that we do. I get that. So I am trying to not have gobs of excess stuff that some day will just be a burden to others and will just get tossed away. That's what I think about DH's shop now. All that stuff means nothing to me, just to him, and I will probably throw most of it away if I am left with that chore. For him it's all gold.

As for Christmas, as I put the tree up, bulbs and stuff I'm not using will be donated. I'm not keeping extras any more. I feel like I have too much stuff but I like it and will just be mindful not to add anything more to all that.

Adding to my list here: 9/19 I tossed a couple worn out towels and a coffee travel mug that was cracked. I threw away a few electronic parts that aren't useful any more. I cleaned off the bulletin board in the office, no need to keep some of that stuff out any more. Mostly shuffling things around, putting a few things in folders, but it looks neat and tidy now. I am noticing the difference in some places around here now. Makes me smile. I keep listening to videos from a couple people, finding that motivating.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:55 pm

I think what I love about all of us is that we really want a simplified life! you are so right.
I had the same thing re: halloween costumes that I made that were beautiful. The girls and everyone didn't want them - lol I did keep one bc I love it still.

When d mom in law passed, the grandkids and their spouses took a few things - everything else either got tossed or we all took things to figure out where they should go. They had a house sale and most of it went or got tossed. it was really hard to go through everything. I don't want that for my girls.
I am like you - as are so many of us here.

I love that if I have a problem with an item; I can come here to get permission to let it go.

Well well done on all of your work!!!

Yay d Nancy on giving neighbors plums.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:55 pm

7 bags and one box of plums left last weekend.

This week I
Got declutter items sorted and in the shed waiting for the road
to open back up so I can deliver em to thrift shop.

Branches left with trash pick up day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:13 pm

Lightbulb moment yesterday. I brought out a quote I'd kept, something Joshua Becker said: "Nobody, when asked what they most want to accomplish in life, responds by saying, 'I just want to own as much clutter as possible'. I read it to DH.

Here was his response: he said earlier that day he was looking for screws that would go into the bolt holes on the porch to clean them out so the hurricane panel hardware will fit in there again. He said he stood there in his shop and looked around :o and thought wow, so much stuff! What am I going to do with it all? He's beginning to form a plan in his head about it all. It's really so very hard. If it was household goods, we'd know what to do with all of it. This stuff is much harder to find people who want it. Today he was talking about painting his BIG tool truck so that he can get rid of it. But first that has to be cleaned out. And it's packed also.

We have a huge job ahead of us. All I can do right now is manage the inside of the house.

Now I have a question for my fellow tossers: If you had a set of dishes with a bunch of extra pieces, and you wanted to keep the set, would you give away some of the extras? I have a ridiculous amount of some of the pieces. Other pieces I don't have quite 12. The extras, someday if something breaks, I could still have the full set amount if I kept some. But should I? I'm having difficulty thinking about this.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:55 am

Harmony can you put some of the extra pieces in a tote or box and set it aside and see how you feel
about letting go of them in a few weeks or months. That is what I do.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:56 am

"Nobody, when asked what they most want to accomplish in life, responds by saying, 'I just want to own as much clutter as possible'.

thank you d Harmony for sharing this. Powerful!

yay to you and d Nancy and to d harmony!!!

d harmony - I think you answered it yourself - you said that you have a ridiculous amount of extras. Some are ok but not all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:20 pm

Ok here's what I have: 17 plates, 1 meat platter, 7 sets of cups and saucers, 14 regular saucers, 20 small dessert bowls, 4 regular cereal-sized bowls. No big matching serving bowls. Am I fussing about something that really doesn't matter in the long run? Funny story how I ended up with odd amounts of this. I love the pattern but it's not dishwasher safe, has a silver edging. Probably not microwavable either. I think I've used them once, maybe twice. I don't want to get rid of all of them, I do have a reason to be attached to them.

I did break up a set of everyday dishes, and I gave some cups and saucers and a casserole dish. We never used those pieces but we use the rest. It didn't bother me to give some of that set. I love how that cabinet looks now and I'm happy with how that cleared out shelf looks and I have space for a couple things I use almost daily now.

It's funny, when I think about what I'd do if I was moving out of here, the decision would be a no-brainer. Done! Pack them up! But the fact that there's space for them, and they aren't in the way of anything, says oh just leave them for now. I'll always want to keep some at least.

Nancy, I did consider setting them aside for a bit...but I rarely take anything back once I've decided... I have a few more plates to consider also. That's another set.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:49 pm

I had a set of china white with a silver trim - it was hand washable, non microwavable. I liked them bc they could go with any table setting. My pieces broke over the years until it wasn't feasible to keep. I thought they looked so pretty.

I haven't had large parties any more. I let go of my blue and white fancy schmancy dishes (I had 24). They went out in my free garage sale and went to a large extended family. They were lovely and oh the table settings I had!

When I have a large party - I rent.

I did keep my one set of Swedish bone tea and dessert plates - 5 each that we use for birthdays or a dear friend. These still bring me so much joy!

I feel like you do - If there is a space for something and I love it -then I get to keep it! I think you do wonderfully!!!
My goal is to get to a place where I am happy with the things I do have. I don't want stuff that causes me to feel burdened anymore. Visual clutter overwhelms me.

you are doing great!
waving to everyone. awesome work to all of you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:50 pm

I have been using our decluttering program for my yard as well. What can I keep under control.
It's been a blessing for me.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:41 am

Gratitude for help here, because dstepson came over while ds was mowing and hauled off the old microwave. The two broke down some tough boxes with staple-reinforced thick cardboard and then ds helped get them into his brother's vehicle, too, to take to recycling place.

I'm still not satisfied with our mud room/laundry room even after giving it attention lately. Need to become ruthless in there, but so far answers are not coming to me. This room was changed from the architect's original plan, placing the washer and dryer against a different wall, which brought the outside door to a more accessible place. I'm thinking maybe the architect was right, though, because it's difficult to have enough space to work in front of the appliances.

HRH doesn't want to let go of the dorm-sized fridge that's in that room. It was an inexpensive appliance - even if we were someday sorry we sold/gave it away now, we could change our minds and get another! So far, not a helpful enough item to plan a room around, IMO !

I doubt if the architect had considered, that in the ensuing decades, families would decide they wanted to give space for kitty-cat potties, too! ;) So, a small room with too many purposes. Thinking.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”