September, 2023 Clutter Control - Study What's Next

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: September, 2023 Clutter Control - Study What's Next

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:25 am

I have boxes in the spare room and a basket of clothes no longer working for me to deal with next.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:59 pm

That sounds like an interesting collection of organization books, Cathy. Lots of inspiration.

Even though I spent a worried time unable to find a meaningful unfinished quilt project from our move until now, I still wanted to come in here and recommend the way I had labeled it. It was one of the clear boxes (Steri lite or Rubber maid type) for which I had taken a photo of contents. That (physical) photo inside, so that it faced out and showed exactly what was in the box, stayed perfectly neat. When I finally did realize there was a box that had been put at such an awkward spot at bottom of a closet, and I managed to turn it so that I could see the end, I knew exactly what I had.

It was hard not to do a dance. :| In fact, I may have done a little jig, just to be honest.

The truth was that the fabric itself didn't need the whole container, but when I realized we were moving, I'd gathered all paperwork related to the project and sorted it, in order, into a pocket folder, too. And the little bundles of fabric I want to use for the last 3 blocks into individual baggies, each with the pattern I planned. I stored everything together. Even though its moving journey hit a glitch, I'm so glad I did all that preparation at the time. Clear reminders of the decisions already made so I don't have to make them again!

Four closets in this 1958 house have rolling double-doors to save the space of doors that would swing out. Obviously, these must have been a good decision because after 65 years, they all still roll fine. You roll the door, you see the closet side, up and down. Seems convenient. The problem is that there's about a one-foot middle of each closet that is hard to get to and even harder to see. Especially at the bottom, each one has a no-man's land of dark, mysterious space. I need to make some notes about what's in each middle, maybe, and write it on a 3x5.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:41 am

hello - I am so sorry I haven't been here - My common sense tells me I should declutter during the summer but my brain says what clutter?
after my brain goes on vacation for the summer then I find myself cluttering my time/my brain/my garden by not releasing things that should find a home somewhere else.

So here I am! I am so so proud of all of you!

hi d harmony Yes I do struggle still - it's not as bad when I was a younger me but I still have clutter just the same!!! I would love to see young people resist the influx of stuff from marketers at young age before they get to the point where their stuff buries them. you are right about trying to organize clutter. My dear father in law called the clutter Fibber McGee closet
https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8YcwM,st:0

I loved Peter Walsh - I know he has a show in Australia now but I don't know if we can see it. I wish he had a podcast.

hi d harriet I feel, for me, it's just better to get it out of my house. I am so visual that the stuff staying overwhelms me. If I wait until it's the right time then my ADHD and my family knows it's there.
I too like the before and after like how clean is your house or clean sweep. what a great idea you have!
I am so glad you found the unfinished quilt project.
3 x 5's is a great idea. I need to do that

hi d Nancy - yay on all you do!!!

hi d cathy - I love that - keep the memories lose the stuff -

I am in the process of coming back into the house. My hope is to continue the holiday jig I have planned. I have gone through 1 cabinet and 3 drawers.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:56 am

Cheering you all on!
I have brought up tool battery operated tools dson wants
they are in the kitchen lz hoping to get them loaded to take out of here soon to dson's
place as we have rain in the forecast a good day for it. Took em over to him!
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Blessed, yes Fibber McGee's Closet! Watched that video, so funny! Recently Cas did a video with Peter Walsh and they talked about his Australia program... and she said she tried every which way she could think to be able to watch his programs, but nowhere she could find were they available to us here. Too bad.

Shannon Torrens latest one was on old tips and she started out with the most helpful interesting one about paper clutter that I've ever seen from anybody. I loved her tips. So while I was watching I tackled my 2-dr file cabinet right beside me. I've thrown away 4 tattered file folders, a half tall wastebasket of papers too old or unneeded now. I saved one packet of papers that fit in one manila envelope which I'll put in permanent storage in the garage. I threw away a couple forms when I knew those people had died. The drawers look so much better. Files move back and forth easily. A lot of things have changed now anyway and some of that stuff is able to be found online. When I'm SURE we're settled somewhere permanently and no longer have a company or licenses, boy am I going to declutter then!

Decluttering helps me to feel in control of my life and not so overwhelmed.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:30 am

hello d harriet, d harmony, d Nancy, d cathy and d everyone!!!!~

I have been working on decluttering things in my mind. What is necessary? What doesn't work for me any more? What things/activities/focus can I let go of. My question has been - is this really important in my life?

I have wished that My daughters would find good people who love them (I still pray for that) and I had always hoped for grandchildren but I don't think the will happen. I had that romantic view of being a grandmother. There is a bit a grief to it. I know I just want my girls to be happy and I worry about them in their future if they are alone without family. I have to figure that out and work with it. Gratefulness has always been the key to my happiness so now I have to not burden my worries on my dd's and move forward where I can help others in small ways.
I have to declutter this and replace it with purpose. This will take some work on my part.
Sitting, waiting, has never been my strength. Figure out the positive.

today I am decluttering the outside and it needs it!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 am

The island finally got cleared and cleaned yesterday! Now I am doing other spots in the house.

The clean laundry all got put away AND the coat tree in the bedroom got sorted out. I left dh's jeans hanging on his 2 hooks.

I washed all of the decorative glass vases that are on the bookcases in the bedroom. They keep the cats from getting into the blinds on the big window on the west side of the house.

I've also been going through the pantry and looking for things to send to my niece and her daughter.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”