November, 2023 Clutter Control - Rake a Wide Path

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

November, 2023 Clutter Control - Rake a Wide Path

Postby Harriet » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:55 pm

November can be a big job! With more entertaining coming up than at other times of the year, Holidays are around the corner. We'll be needing those clear spaces!

When we deal with the autumn leaves falling, they make a good example to remember - when there's a lot, we need a wide rake, or we'll never pull much together fast. Sometimes we need to think big indoors, and that can be the answer when we want to clear a wide path of clutter, too.

I remember being impressed by an interesting discussion with Matt Paxton (whom we chatted about, btw, in our September thread), when he explained that he always carries a rake with him when he goes to a new job, sight unseen. He explained that he wasn't trying to insult anyone, he just wanted to be ready to work fast, whether it was on a small scale or large. He was simply going to be prepared to do what it took!

What are the ways you work on a w-i-d-e scale sometimes?

Big box method?

P and P used BIG boxes for tossing into as they worked - donations here, put-aways there, etc. Only when they finished the portion of the room they were decluttering would they leave with those boxes and take items elsewhere.

Marathon of time?

Sometimes rather than just a little bit every day, a BIG PUSH can make the difference that inspires us. Success at a PROJECT of decluttering is something to feel great about, even if it was time-consuming.

Delegating?

It's not just the homemaker's clutter!!! (I need to embroider that on a pillow, myself!) No need to feel it's "My Job" to get decluttering done. A plan with others could be the ticket to some real accomplishment. And that could be either someone with whom you live, someone who was darned lucky that they USED to live with you when you raised them ;) , or someone who is just that good a friend. OR bartering with someone you trust who needs some help with something, too. OR to "call the man" who has a business of hauling, helping, working.

What are the ways you THINK BIG? What are your favorite tips for the times that the fastest results are needed? Do you have a plan for a declutter/organizing project before a holiday event or over this winter?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: November, 2023 Clutter Control - Rake a Wide Path

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:11 am

Dgd might be coming for a nite over so it is great mojo for cleaning the spare room again esp. the bed.
Delegated the floor to ddoggo LOL!
She also took up the task of inspecting the bed after I make it and tweaks my job!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:47 pm

Well the failed decluttering this past weekend items have been spoken for now by a family member. Counting that for progress.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:35 pm

I've been doing better about keeping up with exact recycling pickup days and that helps. It's always been confusing because the pickup doesn't happen every week here, and you tend to forget when. I have a "recycling" sticker that I can move through my planner now, and every recycling day I move it with the info I have right then, and don't have a problem.

Our "thinking big" needs to be a storage building. I am SO ready. We are still in the situation of no one willing to move the building we already own at the other house. Very frustrating. I even suggested the idea to go ahead and contract with the guy who would build one for us and ask him to put in his contract that he would move the other one here, too, and attach them, paint both at the same time to match. HRH was :shock: about this idea and says wait, let him think about it! lol - I know it's $$$, but time to make a decision. We are losing the autumn days and pretty soon it's going to be winter.

I asked ds to try to find us someone through his work.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:33 am

HRH and I have been brainstorming how we can re-organize and move some things around and make room for Christmas decor. This means especially a tree that has space, able to be well-trafficked while being decorated and gifted-under! I'm hopeful. Small tables and single chairs are getting relocated!

This gives me the conversation openings I need to ask questions about why we're keeping some things I haven't been allowed to toss! No more "just wait and let me think about it". Now we'll need to stop waiting.

We have someone to move the building, btw, but waiting now :| on their schedule.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”