Health and Fitness, February, 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2019

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:38 pm

I have done my exercise for today on the stat bike.

Shoveled some snow Tues. & Wed. & Thurs. did exercise bike.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:19 pm

Day 4...Eating my lunch. Have stayed on my eating plan with the exception of a piece of bread late last nights but. My stomach was really hurting for some reasons, not sure why. Didn’t eat anything that should cause the pain.

I’ve decided to go back to eating breakfast. Like Ladym’s mom it is my hungry time. I’m not too crazy abt dinner and like her mom, there are many nights I just skip it. I always cook for Sweetie and I think just the smells of cooking just makes me loose my appetite.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:58 pm

I wish I could remember where I saw it just this week; it was either on a diet website or on a health program on PBS and I just can't recall... I'm really thinking it was on the tv program...

But Dr. was saying one shouldn't stay on IF indefinitely because eventually their body will begin eating up muscle. I can look at both DH and I and make a correlation to that. He has 2 very tiny small meals, especially for his size and activity level, and 1 nice size balanced meal later. Lots of muscle lost. Me too. I don't eat until close to noon, then brunch, a small dinner, a couple snacks in the evening. Lots of muscle lost.

Anyway, we all have to find our own solutions. I'm still working on it.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:28 pm

Today I worked with a trainer to develop a plan so I can get strong enough to do push-ups. My chest, shoulder & arm muscles are so weak that I have to start very slowly. I did one set of 6 reps of the beginning exercises he showed me today and I can already feel those muscles aching. I have to start slow but at least I have a plan now.

That is interesting about if fasting causes muscle loss. I'm doing a little research on it and have read reports from 3 doctors that I follow and I don't see a reason for concern. HOWEVER, I'm going to look into this further because I truly want to know. Something that makes me go hum..........I have always been a person to eat regular meals & snacks. I made the decision to start exercising at YMCA 3 months ago before I thought about trying IF. My muscle loss most definitely did not come from fasting because I didn't do until this month.

I am slowly gaining confidence that my blood sugar will stay stable while fasting. It hasn't crashed a single time. Am I ready to trust it? No. I will be continuing to monitor it closely.

The thing that really fascinates me is how good I feel while fasting. My energy level is high. My mental thinking is clear. I have never been one to fast so my experience is almost zero. I did not expect this. I expected the opposite.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 am

LadyM, last weekend a friend (that I wouldn't expect to be working out) mentioned working with a trainer. I immediately sent her a message asking for info. So I'll contact this trainer when I feel a little more stable and try working out with her at least now and then. I'm mostly walking when I got w dfriend M but I like doing weight machines and would like to do that again.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:21 pm

The snow is still in our driveway and on our road. Maybe it will never melt; there was just too much. We need warmer temperatures and a lot of rain. I am getting very good at running/walking in our house to keep up my running streak from November 2, 2017. It's actually a better workout than I get when running outside. Today I had to go at least three miles, so before breakfast I ran/walked 3.2 miles and went up 44 flights of stairs. Once I start running again, I will definitely add more flights of stairs to my days. I was requiring myslf to do 10, but I think 20 will be my minimum now.

Working with a trainer sounds great, Twins' and LadyM. Let us know what exercises they are starting you out with.

We got a small package in our mailbox that was meant for our neighbor.. When my dh took it over to her, she said it was prescribed pills for lowering her LDL levels. She said she didn't want to have to take them, so my dh told her there were lots of videos online about lowering LDL levels with diet. She asked for links, so he did a little research and sent her a couple. He said the suggestions were exactly what we have been eating all along. She won't be pleased though.... :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Some shopping & I walked the dog at the park for some exercise. I walked the dog again around the block.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Ugh.
Double Ugh.
Triple quadruple Ugh.

I got overconfident and didn't monitor myself well enough and almost totally messed up.

I ate out yesterday afternoon with DGS21 at Golden Corral (buffet) and was full so I didn't eat anything the rest of the day.

Today I got up and left before 8am to attend a class. Before I left the house I took my blood sugar and it was 98 (good!). I felt great with lots of energy and clear thinking. I went to class, to the farmer market then worked out at YMCA. I was driving home on the Interstate and realized I was feeling really bad. The back of my hands started sweating which my sign that my blood sugar is crashing and I knew I was within a few minutes of passing out. I was at least 10 minutes from the next exit to get off the Interstate and I knew I wouldn't make it. I was frantically trying to think of something to eat or drink to get my blood sugar up. NOTHING. I only had fresh zuchinni and peppers with me that I had bought at the farmers market.

I knew I was going to pass out so I pulled onto the edge of the Interstate. Then I remembered the bags we have to give to the homeless people we encounter on the streets. I didn't trust myself to not pass out so I didn't want to get out of the vehicle. So I quickly climbed over the seats to the back of the SUV where I keep those bags. I knew I needed a quick surge of sugar to bring my blood sugar up. I drank a 1/2 bottle of Gatorade and ate some of the candy in the homeless bags. I was struggling to get these items down because my heart was beating so fast (over 120 bpm according to my fitbit). I'm guessing this medical emergency caused me to also have a panic attack. I sat there for a few minutes while cars & semitrucks were whizzing by me doing 75+mph.

I started to get my eyesight back and a bit of mental clarity. I decided to try driving again. I made it to the next exit on the Interstate which had a fast food drive-in. I ordered a hamburger and then called DH. I told DH of my situation and that that I was concerned that I couldn't make it home without passing out. DH immediately loaded the kids up and made the 15 minute drive to where I was in less than 8 minutes. I don't even want to know how he accomplished that!

By the time DH arrived I had taken a few bites of the hamburger and was feeling somewhat better. I was still nauseous but my the back of my hands had stopped sweating so I hoped my blood sugar was on the rise. I started the drive home with DH following me. I made it 2 miles on the highway but then pulled off the road due to the possibility of passing out again. My heart rate was over 120 bpm again. DH stood at my vehicle asking what I wanted to do. We were now only about 10 miles from our house so I made the decision to drive the back roads to our house. It gave me the confidence to know if I passed out the worst I would do is hit the ditch and not hit another vehicle or hurt anyone else.

ANyway. I made it home okay. It has now been 3 hours since this incident and I'm feeling better.

Dumb
Foolish
Mistakes.
I knew this could happen. I got overconfident and I let my guard down.

Lessons Learned.....
** I will keep my blood glucose meter with me. I need to know what my bs is. My symptoms don't show up until a few minutes before I pass out. I need to be aware of bs and take care of it long before it gets this low.
** I will not push myself so hard. I went to the YMCA today and exercised when I was over 24 hours without eating. I only ate one meal yesterday and it was a meal eaten out which means the macros were out of balance. I hadn't eaten anything today when this situation happened around 1 pm.

I have seen such great improvement in my blood sugar doing keto and IF. I am not going to let this foolish mistake stop the progress. However, it has reminded me how dangerous it can be to not monitor blood sugar.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:17 pm

((LadyMaverick)) What a scary experience!! I am so glad you made it home safely! Take care.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:39 pm

LadyM, dh did a good job getting to you fast - wonderful you could catch him and know he'd be there. Consider carrying a box of children's 100% grape juice with straw in your glove box. It's a long-shelf-life item but available at any grocery. It's supposed to have a similar effect to the glucose gel that's prescribed for type-1 diabetics who are susceptible to hypoglycemia. On the chance your bs dips so low that you really need a heavy hit, that would be fast, and under your control as far as how much and how quickly you sip until you feel better. Other carry-able fruit like a little box of raisins in a baggie are good for purse, but the grape juice would be real power on the chance you ever have another roadside emergency. Nancy probably has more thoughts.

Return to “Healthy Habits”