Health and Fitness, May, 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2019

Postby Lynlee » Thu May 23, 2019 10:08 pm

My chia seeds stay as seeds through the blender too Twins. Cut or ground flaxseed would be easier for your body to 'get the goodness' from.

Walked 3k block yesterday.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 am

I'm switching it up and won't record miles run or flights climbed. You get the picture. It will happen every day. Just having my run accomplished first thing starts my day off right. So, from now on, I'll post if I DON'T run and do stairs.

Twins', I use ground flaxseed too and it doesn't disappear into the shake. There is definitely a texture to the shake. Not unpleasant though.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Well, I've enjoyed getting a snapshot of your days, RunKitty. It's interesting to hear about your "step count". ( I'm proud of that pun) You have a much more specific exercise plan than I do. I plug an exercise video into each day, and there are a lot of variables.

Before our away-day yesterday I had logged 10 straight days of exercise. That's unusual for me, since I've always believed in "off" days. It wasn't a "bootcamp" though, since they were a variety - not all strenuous enough to count toward that.

My meals were just right yesterday. Normally, I wouldn't use baggies for so many small items but space was at a premium. In baggies, the corn kernels, peas, walnuts and orange could be tucked into the large container of greens, and just opened when I was ready for my salad. I didn't have to make space for the structured "lunch box" I'd thought of taking, with all its hard-plastic spaces.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat May 25, 2019 1:11 pm

Exercise should be something you enjoy and it sounds like yours certainly works for you. I know off days are important for most people, but they don't work for me as far as running goes. I actually get restless...almost anxious. It just doesn't feel right. When I do strength training, I always take rest days in between workout days. When I was training for the half marathon, I did easy running days and hard running days, as well as hills and sprints, etc.

I'm glad your food worked well for you during your marathon day out yesterday. As important as exercise is for feeling well, diet is much more important. As the ex-NFL guy on my sports talk station says, "You can't out run a poor diet." For me, exercising just encourages me not to waste that good effort by making poor food choices. I'm afraid for many, they run five miles and then say, "Oh, good. Now I can eat a 599 calorie piece of cake!" :lol:

Have you found that your taste has actually changed? I really don't like the taste of some foods I used to love. And I really love the foods that I do eat now.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat May 25, 2019 5:29 pm

I walked the dog around the block.
I mowed the yard for exercise Sat.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat May 25, 2019 8:17 pm

Run Kitty, my taste is changing too. Today I got a kiddie cup of strawberry ice cream at the Peach packing house. They use fresh strawberries in it and I used to think it was beyond wonderful. I ate two thirds and pitched the rest. It wasn’t good. And at dinner the salad dressing was too sweet. It was supposed to be balsamic vinaigrette and I assumed it was oil and vinegar. It had other ingredients including sugar.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 26, 2019 8:14 am

Oh, absolutely, RunKitty. Nourishment has clicked with me as a concept outside of some preconceived scale of tastiness. I found out that "tasty" wasn't allowed to be the judge, anyway, because "tasty" was being manipulated. :shock: And then I was willing to try so many flavors and textures that turned out to be wonderful. I would look forward to the addition of a new food, not because it had some "good" aroma or beauty, but because I found out it truly did hold goodness, (as in, had evidence of being proven good for people).

Either innate knowledge (like remembering my grandparents loved greens and onions) or search for info (like finding out why cooked mushrooms made people healthier) began to make foods enticing. And it turns out I inhale deeply now with a big smile on my face when I have a pot of greens on the stove. My grandma knew. They're delicious. Now I know, and also know WHY they keep me healthy. And there's a long list of other plant foods in the same column.

I'm still the same person who used to beg my mother not to make me eat spinach. But I have no true desire for foods outside the 4 simple groups of veggies/fruits/legumes/grains any more. Of course dense, creamy foods still haunt me with cravings (puddings! oh my!). People have cravings for dense foods for ingrained biological reasons - we will always be bracing for scarcity. We're living in the land of plenty, though, so the dense foods don't help but hurt. Added salt makes us eat more of whatever food we have. Sugar makes some pretty blah foods taste nice. Companies know this, so as soon as we let ourselves get tired or hungry, 1,000 tasty something-or-others are right there to jump into our hands.

I do hate that a lot of nostalgic recipes, developed over generations, turn out to have no evidence for health at all and, in fact, evidence of harm. That's tough to accept, but I'm able to fondly remember unhealthy dishes my family members used to prepare, with love in their hearts, while still loving my own descendants enough to let the recipe end with me.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun May 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes! Totally agree with both of you. I've solved the dilemma of what to eat at the restaurant where we sometimes meet with my mother and my sister and her husband. Last time I tried the plain crepes again and they were truly terrible. Flabby hunks of white flour. Ugh. My mother and sister are both huge fans of our local NFL team and their head coach, and I told them that he has switched to a plant-based diet which has totally eliminated the pain he was feeling in his hands from arthritis. So, since I have his seal of approval for a plant-based diet, I will just have coffee at the restaurant since they have no plant-based options, not even sides really. Their hashbrowns are awful and taste like they have weird chemicals in them. Their toast is brown, but clearly not whole wheat and the butter they insist on slathering it with tastes rancid. I had thought about trying the cherry or the strawberry banana crepes until I read the descriptions. The cherry ones are filled with cream cheese and covered with cherry "sauce". The straberry banana are filled with banana cream pie filling (!) and covered in strawberry sauce. What are they thinking? And they both come with bacon!! This dive (as my dh calls it) caters to a mostly older crowd. Guess they think if they've survived this kind of food for decades, there's no harm in continuing it. Harriet, your meals always sound so delicious. You are really inspiring.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Time in the garden weeding, and moving some plants to diff. Beds is my exercse Sunday, have done a few rounds now.
I walked the dog a short walk.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 27, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 pm

My taste has changed as well, though I still crave salt. Use the pink stuff now and that helps.

Sweet things taste supper sweet to me now. I bring my own salad dressing with me when I go out to eat and I usually look at the restaurant’s menu on line before I go so I know what I’m going to order ahead of time. I’m going to have lunch with friends today and already know what I am going to have.

I did 2.5 miles on my gazelle yesterday, but only got in 6k steps. No gym class today due to the holiday.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”