Health and Fitness, July, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2010

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:19 pm

102* here this weekend
I'm walking early in the mornings to beat the heat.
Hubby has lost 10 lbs. total now this month.
Watering the lawn and trying to remember to stay hydrated also.
Have mowed the lawn last night also just the back the front did not need it so much.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:23 am

My eating is just totally out of control. I have got to put a lock on the kitchen cabinets & refrigerator or something. I have hit an all-time high for me, and it is getting depressing.
The walking just makes me want to eat more, I think, but I know it has to be good for me to get outside and walk...
* sigh * I just have had no self-control whatsoever when it comes to FOOD. It looks good; I eat it.
I eat when I'm tired, sleepy, bored, whatever. Very seldom b/c I'm actually hungry, you might notice.

I've just got to start talking to myself like I would a crazy, out of control child.
NO YOU CANNOT HAVE THAT!

I walked today (only 20 minutes -- 1 mile) and I did NOT start eating crazy stuff when I came back inside... but I'm just getting really depressed about this. All I've wanted to do for the last two days is sleep. Of course, that is about the only time I can keep myself from eating, so in a way it's good, but in another way, it just depresses me more b/c I think, "I should be DOING something..." :roll:

Today I have had (so far)
10:30 breakfast
-- part of two fried eggs (I only eat the whites, so it's tricky)
-- part of an Egg McMuffin (mainly ate the slice of Canadian bacon, part of one side of the muffin, a few bites of the cheese)
-- Cini-minis (or whatever McD's calls their cinnamon roll things now)
-- banana
-- diet Pepsi
2:30 snack
-- bottle of flavored water
-- package of peanut butter crackers
4:30 snack
-- bottle of flavored water
-- granola bar (Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch, 190 calories, 6 g protein, 6g sugar, 13 g total carbohydrates)
6:00 supper
-- diet Pepsi
-- bar-b-que sandwich (just meat & bread)
-- a few potato chips
-- frosted mini wheats for dessert

The pb crackers have 4 g sugar & 4g protein. It seems that if I can keep my protein equal to or more than my sugars, I do much better. The frosted mini wheats have LOTS of sugar and very very little protein. Being "whole wheat" is not a very good thing in that case. But of course, even a child would probably know that they are NOT a health food. * sigh *
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:16 pm

(((((Lucy)))))))--`another`way`of`reading`packaging`I`saw
tp`avoid`anything`greater`than`10%sugars.
I`once`heard`of`imagining`the`mass`of`fats`going`staight`to`wherever`your`body`puts`them...
eg.Snack`size`chocolate`bars`I'm`easily`adicted`to`(so`avoid`totally)`
=`a`tablespoon`of`fat.`more`easy`to`collect`than`remove.
Have`also`heard`that`its`the`sugar`fat`ratio`in`(mcArch's)certain`food`that`leaves`you`
wanting`more/feeling`unsatisfied.

My`breakfast
1/2`glass`apple`&`mango`juice-filled`with`water,(personally-add`.5`tsp`epsom`salts`for`ibs.)
cook
buckwheat,`tsp`brown`rice,`cashews,`sunflower`seeds,`2`figs`,(salt)..for`30`min
served`with`(goat)milk
hot`cocoa...made`with`pure`cocoa`powder-`no`sugar

that`carries`me`for`many`hours.
buckwheat,cashews,sunflower`seeds`all`contain`protien.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 pm

10% sugar content, Lynlee?
The pb crackers and the granola bar each total 35 g per package/serving size.
So really, at 6 g sugar, I should leave the granola alone... but the pb crackers, I might could BARELY get by with, at 4 g sugar -- but 3.5 g would actually be the limit for either of these, right?

Giving up sugar is about as hard for me as giving up alcohol would be for an alcoholic... but I know it probably has just as much benefit for me as giving up alcohol would for an alcoholic. * sigh * Since I've never had more than a taste of alcohol in my entire lifetime, I can't really speak of this knowledgeably... but it does make me a bit more sympathetic to alcoholics. OTOH... it seems easier to AVOID alcohol totally. I mean, they DON'T serve it through the drive-in at McD's... * sheesh *
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Lucy`-that`is`what`I've`had`to`do`with`sugar.`Give`it`up.
I`just`tend`to`binge`on`whatever...no`regular`eating.
And`definately`there`are`withdrawals.`I'`needed`to`lose`my`taste`for`it.
My`brain`thinking/emotions`go`off`track`with`sugar`added.`Its`just`not`good`for`me.
Here`packaging`shows`contents`per`100g`as`well`as`per`serving`so`sums`are`simple.
I`don't`worry`about`sugars`in`whole`fresh`fruit`-`but`do`avoid`some`fruit`that`annoy`me.
As`a`rule`if`I`want`to`eat`a`lot`of`something,`it`probably`isn't`good`for`me.

If`you`wanted`to`you`could`do`a`trial.
A`warning`though...`Withdrawals`can`have`you`feeling`worse`for`even`a`couple`of`months.
Maybe`the`10%`guideline`would`be`enough`for`you.
Protien`with`carbs`slows`the`speed`of`rise`and`fall`of`blood`sugars.

I`buy`PB`with`no`added`sugar.`
I`eat`it`with`rice`cakes`that`don't`have`much`going`for`them`without`protien`addition.
Add`banana`with`both`as`a`regular`no`thought`needed`lunch. :lol:

ps`if`you`added`cheese`to`the`PB`crackers`they`would`be`ok.:)
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:38 am

lucylee, 2 things I notice about your day's menu:

1) Every time you ate through the day you put white refined flour (well, once was very sweet wholegrain) into your system. That suggests to me that each successive time made you crave it again later, as white flour does.

2) Zero vegetables, and the only fruit was the banana: colorless and the heaviest of all fruits, containing the least natural water and taking the longest to digest.

This suggests to me that your digestive system (especially in this oppressive heat when it needs extra hydration) is slowed and wearied by pure hard work of digesting heavy solid foods.

I cannot help but think that if you would change this up and take in at least 5 colorful, light/juicy fruits or veggies per day, while limiting white flour to one anticipated treat late in the day (so cravings won't add up) you would feel much better and notice the white-flour pounds falling away.

lucylee, your extra pounds are made up of WHITE FLOUR. So serious face :arrow: :|

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:53 am

Wow, Cowinkie you have really brought your walking into a new league. Good job Willis and StWD for encouraging Cowinkie.

Hurray, Nancy's dh! Men respond so well to successes - he will probably continue doing well.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 am

lucylee what can we do to help you?

I don't like to see you spinning your wheels gaining and losing the same pounds.

Do you want suggestions or support or a place to help you stay on track. We are here and willing and able to help in anyway we can.

You have to find a groove and be comfortable in that groove. It may skip like a record into the next groove which can be a good thing.

What can we do?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 am

We had a beach day yesterday
We took a cooler and had our food in that
it was a very steep climb up and down on a trail and over rocks
but did swim a few laps so I'm counting that for my exercise.

H. had a sandwich.
I had meat and cheese and cookie
v-8 & nuts

We had shade that was a blessing!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:42 pm

I saw your post before you edited, Indiana! ;) I know you're pretty perturbed with me, but I guess I needed that... I was thinking about it all morning, and when you said what do I want -- I was thinking "all of the above."
Guess what the sermon was about this morning?
Well, it was about giving up self to be a servant to Christ... BUT... the preacher spent a lot of time talking about "don't eat dirt!" He was talking in a figurative sense, you know, the stuff we put into our lives that is just worthless, but like a baby eating dirt, we take a long time to learn that... but oh my goodness... I just kept thinking, "Does someone need to drop a load of bricks on my head???"
SO... I told dh that tomorrow when we buy groceries, I have got to get more fruit and salad stuff for myself... that I have got to start eating better!

So I guess -- although I really would like someone to pat my hand and say yes yes lucy, it will be okay...
I guess what I really need/want is a good kick in the pants. So thank you for giving me that.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Healthy Habits”