Health and Fitness, August 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2014

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Nancy.... I figure if we total all the time and mileage you've done riding on your exercise bike, you would have ridden across the country by now :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:15 pm

RR thanks for that bit of encouragement. I did 5 more miles on it midday. It is fun to watch a scenic movie or travel show when I do these miles.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:37 pm

I am .3 lbs from my diet bet. I really don't know why as I am not doing anything different. I'm not complaining just wonder why when in June my weight fluctuated so up and down.

I need to follow Harriet and start doing my exercising. Writing that reminded me that I was doing daily exercise classes in June. Puzzling to me.

Anyway I need to stay focused and not get "cocky" because that's when I get into trouble. Last night the cookies in my closet pantry kept calling my name ..loudly. I got ups to get two and while walking their way thought about my diet bet. I stopped to think abt why I wanted cookies and realized I wanted some sweet to eat. Remembered I had blueberries in the fridge and chose them instead. The scales show this morning that that was the better choice.

I bought two hogie style types of bread for Sweetie's dinner tonight. They are deadly to me. I hid them in the pantry so I couldn't see them each time I open the door. Unfortunately my "seafood" diet is what has forte me I trouble in the past.... I "see food" and I want to eat it. It may be a long night if that bread starts calling me too.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 pm

I lost a few Lbs., but I'd gone up to 179.9 Lbs. I'm now 176.7 Lbs. I know it's not twenty pounds, but.... I'm still very happy with it, as I feel the pounds slowly inch down again.

I've been on track with my eating today. I don't "feel" like having a snack or dessert yet, because I'm very full from chicken, 1 thigh, and squash, about 3/4 cup with Molly McButter sprinkled into it, for dinner.

I ate 1 snack today, which was a protein bar and string cheese stick. I was hungry, but didn't want to eat ice cream or anything sweet, so since the protein bar has 9 grams of protein in it, plus nuts and chocolate chips with a chocolate bottom, I ate that. I counted the 190 calories it was, too.

I'm hoping to be able to get my weight back down to 173.5 Lbs. by mid-Sept. for when I'll be weighed in again at the Dr. office. It would mean I'd weigh a few Lbs. less than I did on July 22. I want to go slowly, but surely.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 pm

You are all an inspiration to me.

Scale says I have lost 1.5 pounds. I allowed myself to pick up a very very bad habit, well 2 of them actually. Since I cut both of those out, I've lost some. I'll probably get another 5-7 lbs. off this way, then I'll have to work and work and work to get any more off. At my age, I know I just cannot eat whatever I want like I did when I was younger. Another thing to accept for sure.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Yeah Harmony...I was just reading an article about weight loss and doing excatly what you are doing.

Once again there was another huge article in my women's health mag discussing sugar and how most of us are really addicted to it. Not neccessarily our fault due to the hidden sugars in our foods. I need to look and see if I can find a link so ya'll and read it. If not, I'll post some of it a little at a time. This article was based on science and such. It compliments all the other information I've been reading about concerning sugar.

I am up almost a pound. Not surprised as I didn't get enough water in for the last two day...especially Wed when I was teaching. Plus my "plumbing" hasn't been working correctly for the past few days. I am eating good amount of fiber so I think not drinking enough water is a factor in this.

I've been wearing my pedometer, but am not trusing the results. On Wed it registered 1253 steps..this after teaching for three hours and never sitting down. Maybe the battery is running low.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Today I raked the back yard after we walked to the corner.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 am

Hurt my arm shoulder raking or slept wrong ? Walked a short one with a friend sore foot. No crafting reading or ex. Bike today maybe berry picking. Hurts to type on here poof.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Hope you feel better soon, Nancy.

I did feel well enough to exercise some today. So I guess the feeling of pulled muscles from climbing to ceiling and back was short-lived.

The week was finished up with 2 hours 10 mins of formal exercise. I really don't know how to count all the clambering onto chairs to hang balloons and crepe paper! But I'm very satisfied with the week as far as activity.

Food choices - that's something else. Hmmm... .... can't brag much. I need to concentrate on that.

Peaches purchased at grocery and giving me hope that I had a good morning fruit choice ... ... turned out to taste like they were fermented! Eeeewww. Looked like normal peaches, but the taste made me wonder if I would get sick from them. Oh well. As HRH says, don't take chances with foods, so they are gone. Disappointed to find none of the really good tasting (very rough skinned) cantaloupe lately - hopefully someone will be offering them again soon.

Happy for those who have seen a few pounds melt away!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:21 am

Harriet: How disappointing with the peaches! I ended up tossing the last serving of cut veggies. They didn't taste off but I had cut them for the open house last Sunday and then they were three days not in a fridge (but two of those days they were in with ice in a cooler) so I decided not to push my luck. I did eat 5 servings of them before tossing.

I have a serving of cuke (cut on Friday) left so will have to buy more fresh veggies tomorrow as we settle into the cabin with its fridge. I'm looking forward to getting my ice refrozen (I just use water in a 2L container and had ice for over 48 hours but was traveling for longer than that!) Each hotel had a fridge so my things were refrigerated properly each night and we put the ice packs back in the car since outside was 50 - 60 so I figured they'd last longer out there. The fridge in this room has a tiny freezer so I put a water bottle in to freeze (the 2L won't fit) and found two tiny ice packs left by another patron so now have those as well (forever, they are nice gel ones so I'm taking them home with me.)

As for being healthy - the trip so far has been not bad but not great.

First night we had Subway (good) and my lunch was healthy (brought from home.)

Second day we had semi-healthy lunch (chili) and I picked fish and chips for dinner and the place I found (I googled Best Fish & Chips in Moncton) was a sit down restaurant with take-away prices and a largish menu so I had their walnut encrusted pan-seared haddock and a salad. The haddock was very good but the walnuts gave it a bit of a bitter taste. Dh's deep fried haddock was excellent (I had several bites of it.) The coating was really tasty, the fish very good, although my fish had a better texture than his, the taste was the same between the two. Everything about the restaurant was perfect - even the washrooms!

Yesterday I had quiche and a salad for lunch and chicken and a salad for dinner.

Less in-between meal snacking too. I'm still having a lot of soda (averaging 2 cans a day) so there's room for improvement. Day 2 I didn't get enough water so that was a focus yesterday and was surprisingly hard to do. We don't have a case of water with us, and, although I have a case of soda water, I'm not enjoying it as much as the soda stream so am not having very much. I did get half my water at my two meals so that helped. Sit-down restaurants serve water, fast food don't so that's something I need to keep in mind when choosing restaurants.

As for exercise/movement, I'm doing OK but not great. The pool here is gorgeous but outdoor and so we've picked up passes to the health center across the street so we can use their indoor pool since it is very cool and threatening rain. Not as convenient but it might turn out to be better in the long run. On the other hand, we may end up not swimming at all.

My foot isn't bothering me too much so that's a good thing. And I was much more limber after the swim, which tells me to swim more.

Return to “Healthy Habits”