Health and Fitness, August 2014

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2014

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:58 am

Good luck, FFriend.

Nancy, I hope your shoulder feels better.

Ramblin', that is a very successful site. Great suspense, anticipation for Monday. I don't see how you can stand it, lol.

Middle third of Total workout today. Also vacuumed nearly the whole house and mopped kitchen, which is a lot in these hot temps.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:12 am

Still plugging away here. Yesterday was a low step day and no swimming. On the other hand, there were lots of hills in Lunenburg so I got 8 floors. And I slept well both last night and the night before.

As I posted in PWYC, I've put a Rocco Dispirito "Now Eat This" book on hold at the library so I can try out the recipes. My 62 year old cousin has turned into a lean, fit, fighting machine and his pudgy little wife (5'1") is down to 105 pounds after being at 150, due to them changing their eating to Rocco's recommendations.

That's all well and good but the kicker is they were evangelists for this way of eating when I saw them in October of 2012. Now, 2 years later, they look even better and still have kept the weight off. What surprises them the most is their energy levels. They are behaving like 20 year olds. They like jazz and blues so go to festivals. Now they find themselves attending the midnight shows and then being back on the festival grounds for the noon start time the following day. His wife has also taken up biking and can do 60 miles in a day easily. When she first started she was too fat to swing her leg over and had no balance so he had to get her a bike she could get on and off. But as she lost the weight, her balance came back and she'd go farther and farther. Finally, he bought her a lighter mountain bike because she needed something for trails and hills and her urban, steady, old-lady bike was holding her back.

For this to work for me 1) I have to stop eating out (a great weakness of mine but even more so for dh) and 2) will have to do the cooking since dh cooks with far too much (healthy) oil, in huge portions. If I can retrain his palette (and stomach), I might have a chance to be able to make a difference in my eating habits and cut some calories.

The eating out bit is trouble, though. Dh would eat out 5 nights a week if I let him. And cooking for one, while he brings home food, is frustrating for me (I end up cooking and doing the clean up, plus our budget still has the expense of eating out with no benefits.) And, of course, we typically travel for 3 months of the year so are eating out for at least 1/4 to 1/3 of all meals over a year. I know this diet does not lend itself to eating out anywhere, but particularly at the sort of restaurants dh likes to go to. Plus I'd have to give up our chip wagon date each month when we get our hair cut. Not because I wouldn't be able to eat out once a month, but because my palette will change and I won't like the food any more (I'm finding I like it a lot less now, anyway and there's nothing to order that is at all to my taste there.)

Dh is at a good weight (yes, he's 20 - 30 pounds more than when I met him, but he was underweight then and still fits suits that are 20 years old so his shape is pretty steady.) He is fit, no signs of arthritis or any other aging illness. And he eats almost nothing but crap. His breakfast is 1.5 servings of frosted flakes, mixed with 1.5 servings of Cheereos. With milk. In the winter he has 2 packets of sweetened, artificially flavoured, oatmeal. Unless we are traveling, then he has eggs/bacon/sausage/toast every morning he can (that's why I choose hotels with continental breakfast buffets because otherwise he'll go off to greasy spoon restaurants for their $5.99 breakfast special.

He skips lunch, drinking 2 351 ml cans of V8 (the regular sodium version since the low sodium isn't available by the case in Canada.)

For dinner he eats slightly more than he should and whatever he wants. He eats a huge meal of sweet & sour pork plus other greasy sides at least once a week. He eats fries at least once a week. If we are traveling, he'll have onion rings almost every day. He likes burgers, steaks, ribs, and small restaurant size portions of most but if it is a large restaurant size portion, he'll eat half and take the rest home for leftovers. He loves bread - garlic bread, in particular, dripping in butter. Several foods he eats solely because they are delivery devices for butter (corn on the cob, escargot, popcorn and raisin bread are examples.)

Oh, and he drinks at least a quart of milk a day except when we are traveling and milk isn't readily available.

On the other hand, he has no sweet tooth, seldom eats baked goods (but his favourite is baclava, a dessert made with lots of butter) and doesn't pig out on chips, although he likes them. He seldom snacks through the day, except maybe to have some raisin toast with butter and a glass or two of milk. If he has fruit, it is likely on ice cream or from a tin.

He doesn't get his 8 glasses of water a day at all. I'm lucky if he has 2. Plus his milk. And maybe corn tea or this new citrus honey tea. So, on a 'good' day, he'll have 8 glasses of liquid but most days it is just 5.

I, on the other hand, get at least 5 fruits and veggies, 8 glasses of water plus 2 milk and a few decaf teas. I try and limit butter and oil (and succeed quite well, unless dh is cooking.) I'm happy with smaller portions of meat, fewer potatoes and would avoid breads more if dh wasn't eating with me, although I like a sandwich at lunch time. My breakfast is really healthy with 1/4 or less of the sugars and 4x the fiber of his.

On the other hand, I snack all the time. I crave both sweet and salty. And I drink soda. And juice. Thankfully, neither of us like alcohol so that cuts some calories, although wine has far fewer calories than juice/soda and is served in smaller amounts, and is less available, so from a calorie point of view, soda is much worse.

Maybe I should just try and eat like dh eats. Sure it is a crappy diet, but I note the calorie count is probably lower than my 'healthy' diet because I eat healthy and then add in all the crappy snacks. His crappy food is his meals and there are no snacks. The only problem is that grease/fat in his diet makes me sick.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 am

I woke up during the night with this thought…..Where is my fat? When I lose a pound of fat, where does it go?

I continued with this weird thought by starting to wonder if a pound of fat (Crisco) would fit into a sandwich baggie. I wanted to see what a pound of fat looked like.
When I went to the kitchen this morning I pulled out the scales and started putting "fat" into the baggie. The visual (and feel) of this baggie full of fat is kinda gross to touch all that fat. I left it on the kitchen counter because I am finding it a powerful sensory experience to see and touch.

When LO woke up this morning, he saw the baggie of fat laying on the kitchen counter and asked what it was.
Me: It is one pound of fat.
LO: It feels soft. (while massaging the baggie of crisco)
Me: Feel me here (pointing to my bulge of belly fat)
LO: You have this in your belly????!!!! (While poking my belly fat and then poking the sandwich baggie of fat)
Me: Yup! I do.
LO: Why?
Me: Because I ate too much food for my body. My body couldn't use it all at once so it stored the extra food inside my body..
LO: How are you going to get it out?
Me: By eating less food so my body can quit storing the extra food inside me.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:30 pm

LM...good idea about the fat. Did you know that you can actually buy a blob of gooy plastic that mimics 5 lbs of body fat? Many gyms and diet groups use this fake fat blob as a visual for people.

Kathryn...Sweetie is a lot like your Ken in that he can eat many things I can't, but I will say he does eat healthy. He was doing that long before I came along. I buy a rotisserie chicken to have on hand when I make Sweetie something I don't want to eat...like pizza. Or I also have individualized frozen fish on hand to substitute to cook for myself. Also when I cook chicken, which is quite often, I also make enough so that I can use it for myself...either for lunch or dinner.

We eat out too..sometimes a couple of times a week...and I can always find some thing on the menu that is on my "plan". Sometimes it means I have to take the bun off of a hambuger, but I can still make it work. Tonight we are going out with friends and I will be ordering a grilled chicken sandwich with a small side salad. I tell the server to hold the fries and ask for extra lettuce and tomatoe. Since I know I'm going out to eat, I carry my own salad dressing in a 3 oz plastic bottle you use for traveling, and now I ask for sparkling water instead of soda. It gives me the bubbles without the sugar.

Since I've cut back on my sugar and carbs, I don't crave them like I use to. I also buy Zevia sodas which are made with sevia. They come in many flavors but I like the lemon lime twist the best. I will admit they don't taste like regular or diet sodas, but they don't contain any artificial stuff. I didn't like the taste of Sevia but have learned to like Truvia. I now use it in my coffee and tea.

Harriet...I'm not sure about Monday now. Had a killer headache come on last night and had to take double the meds I usually do. They always effect my weight, plus they didn't do me much good.

However I'll tell you what did help. I have an app on my iphone that's called Brainwaves. Too hard to explain so I'll just put up the link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brain-w ... 19387?mt=8

Best way to discribe it is to say its like listening to outer space music/noise. For some reason when I get headaches I've found that focusing on sounds..like an audio book...helps me through my headaches. I found this app because I am using another on for my weight loss program. I believe that Brainwaves also has a free version.

I found a free app at Itunes that is called Lose Weight by Hypnosis and I listen to it every night when I go to sleep. Don't know if it really helps or not, but it sure helps me go to sleep.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:01 pm

LM: at my WW group, there was a woman who'd by a pound of lard for every pound of fat she lost. She'd leave them on the counter, stacked up so she could see how much she was losing.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Wow, Kathryn and LM, the visual!

I've been completely off program this week. Need to somehow motivate myself again to eat healthy and exercise. The coming week will be a short, busy week so I'm thinking I'll try to eat well, walk as much as possible.

Goal for september is to get that exercise habit established!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:58 pm

a pound of lard for every pound of fat she lost

Interesting. I think doing the reverse would motive me. But putting that many lbs of fat on my kitchen counter would be overwhelming.
1. Know what you want.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 pm

LM.... You could use money... Pennies, nickels, dimes or quarters... In the past I used quarters. Put the total amount in a bowl or dish... One for each pound.. And then move each one into another bowl as you loose.

I also did it with dollars and after 5 lbs used the money for a small just for me present. I've also bought a piece of jewelry to reward myself when I reached my final goal. Not sure what I will do when I reach my final goal this time, but when I reach my next big goal I'm going to buy some good ear buds to listen to music on my phone.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:00 pm

RR - most excellent suggestions! I've thought hard about doing something like that but it doesn't hit my motivation buttons. I wish I knew Why? It sounds like excellent way to track and visually see results. I've tried to talk myself into doing dietbet several times. I love a good challenge but for some reason it doesn't feel right for me.

The touching the soft fat in the baggie is motivating. It feels like my soft belly fat. I put it on my waist and tried to tuck it into my pants. I visually saw how adding one pound of fat makes a huge difference.

Today I ate....
B; fresh tomato/egg/bacon sandwich
L: left over Hawaiian pizza
D: Ice cream and a huge green salad.

Not even close to being a healthy choice day but I did watch my portions. I'm currently at 1149 calories. 51 calories remaining for the day.. Enough for a small serving of fruit for bedtime snack.
1. Know what you want.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Did a long walk tonight for my exercise.

Return to “Healthy Habits”