Health and Fitness, December, 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, December, 2009

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Perseverance is the quality found in people of an enthusiastic temperament, who, once they have discerned the favorable possibilities of an enterprise, allow nothing to divert them. - H. Bessler, "Mental Efficiency", 1915

Hello, dear people of enthusiastic temperament! :) Our enterprise is favorable! We know healthy habits like quality eating, adequate rest or daily activity have added benefits to our lives and our family's lives, so let's not be diverted! Keep up the consistency in December and we'll persevere together!

Last month, 2 of our number, Mystery Woman and Emptynester, reached milestone goals. Thanks so much to them for their consistent inspiration.

I found the above quote in a little book once belonging to my great, great uncle Edward. Edward had been a powerhouse as a young man, but lost a leg and spent the rest of his life with a primitive artificial limb that barely allowed him to walk. He persevered and went on to have a successful life, becoming mayor of his town and a county commissioner. He loved the little book and read it often, eventually giving it to my grandfather.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, December, 2009

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for starting us out in this thread Harriet!
Did my walk today it was 42* and better than yesterday's 36*
I put on two pr. of gloves just in case and that helped
I need to dig out my winter ones.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:18 am

Harriet, thanks for getting us started yesterday. I am counting calories using a application for my Itouch called "Lose it!" and dh is doing the same. Yesterday ended up 460 calories over my prescribed calories of 1456 but will do better today since I have a workout later.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Today it's pretty cold out so I've been doing some stuff inside
up and down the stairs getting Christmas decorations out.
Vacuumed a rug in the basement etc.
Held my own over the turkey day holiday so I'm pleased!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Good job being prepared for the weather on your walks, Nancy.

Twins Mom, that is an interesting way of calculating for you and Twins Dad. Sounds helpful.

I got in 30 minutes of light exercise today. I've had about 6 servings of vegetables. Have been feeling a lot better but had a setback with my acid reflux last evening so am babying myself. Can't say enough about sweet potato to be soothing.

I am at my mid-weight of acceptable range so that's good. I wouldn't mind seeing 5 pounds go before all the holiday flurry, but not necessary. Need to try to avoid stress, that's the main thing.

I'd like to exercise regularly this month, and get 5 veggies a day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Today it was barely above freezing so I did inside stuff just tried to keep moving.
Picking up stuff going up and down the stairs with laundry etc.
counting that an added bonus is that the house looks better today!
It's clouding up so I"m hoping for warmer weather.
The sun was out at least.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Slim Fast, the ready made cans are on voluntary recall. Some sort of bacteria scare.

I have some of the powder, which I'll do if I'm in a real hurry. If I get too hungry I usually overeat. This is helping me not do that. And this kind is not under recall.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:57 pm

It was 4* when I got up today it's only supposed to be 16* for a hi. temp.
so I've been doing housework for my exercise and shopping yesterday counted.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:07 pm

I did not remember we had a recall thread going, feel free to move it if you want.

Sunday morning I got out my suitcase of too small clothes and found 4 sweaters and 3 pairs of jeans I can now wear. How happy that made me!

However, the last couple days' bad eating choices leave me with several pounds of fluid, I need to work on that and get my diet back on track. I'm no longer afraid I can't do this. Though I'm finding being on this diet day in and day out for so long stressful, I'm sure I can keep it up as long as necessary.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 pm

How wonderful for you to be able to wear some extra clothes, Harmony. Yep, fluid/water leaves quickly if you give it a chance - it's not reality. I think your post about the recall is at a fine spot. I did still have some cans in my cabinet and threw them away. I haven't used SF much in a while. The almond milk takes its place for me conveniently when I'd like a thicker drink to take my vitamins with.

I guess my activity is "around the house" with Nancy. Actually getting an exercise video done is becoming wishful thinking as busyness ramps up, yet I am moving all the time out of necessity. Did get in a short workout the other day.

Return to “Healthy Habits”