Health and Fitness, January, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Calendar Event Goals?

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Since the new year I have ducked back under my comfortable weight of 150 to 149, and am now 4 pounds from my better weight of 145, so will keep heading that way. I should hover between 145 and my ideal weight of 140, but my body tends to cling to higher numbers when it can. I think that's probably something true of fall/winter especially.

mini-goal alert

I have not had soft drinks this year. I think I will go through January with no carbonated drink and see how I feel. Normally, I wouldn't think it was a particularly important goal, but my body has taught me a thing or two lately. Frankly, with the occasional soda my system (tummy? acid?) has hurt more often. And without them I've been more comfortable. This doesn't seem to apply strictly to caffienated sodas, but to all.

Since that should mean a bit of weight loss, I'll shoot for 145 by Valentine's Day and reward myself by taking my favorite man out on a date. 4 pounds in 5.5 weeks.

So that's my new Calendar Event Goal. I'm joining several of you with those already. Anyone else thought of one?

Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2010

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Smile Lee, I have a pint first thing in a.m. and then a small breakfast of fruit or veggie, then another pint later before my next small meal of brunch. I just bought a magazine at the drug store because I was intrigued by the name - Clean Eating. Interesting - wonder if there is any relationship to the program you are learning.

Cowinkie, one absolute method of water-counting is to use colorful rubber bands. One around your glass or water bottle for every pint or cup, however you measure it. Btw, we believe in you, too.

That's great that you pinpointed a problem and solved it, LurkyLou. I have learned that one of the reasons chocolate disturbs sleep is that it affects the lower esophagus and causes discomfort while lying down.

How's it going, Motivated 1?

Nancy, I hope the weather permits you to continue walking.

Definitely agree with mamapiano that organization is all wrapped up in healthy habits - they are inseparable aren't they!?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am

Me too.

I saw peanut butter recipe w/out sugar ir flour on the Paula Dean show
turned out ok but nothing to rave about better than nothing.
I'll keep trying to tweak the recipe a bit and see if it improves.
I need a diff. type of peanut butter for it I think.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Harriet wrote:Smile Lee, I have a pint first thing in a.m. and then a small breakfast of fruit or veggie, then another pint later before my next small meal of brunch. I just bought a magazine at the drug store because I was intrigued by the name - Clean Eating. Interesting - wonder if there is any relationship to the program you are learning.

Yes, that's it! Check out their website, too. http://www.eatcleandiet.com/default.aspx

I've been getting the magazines since they first came out - about a year. Just been browsing through. It seems to be combo of clean eating, the usual no white flour/sugar, processed with an added health related foods/herbs/spices. I'm very interested in their 2-week menu plan that comes in every edition. You can get the grocery list print-out on their website. I bought the book, Clean Eating for Men, for ds24 and The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged, for myself - even more good stuff. She has "Coolers" - food you pack in a cooler for one day (especially handy for people that work). Very similar to South Beach phases - except no sweetners. I think she's pretty opposed to fake stuff.

Ds is not overweight by any stretch of the imagination. He played soccer in high school, so if he's not "ripped", he feels like he's out of shape. :roll: :lol: He'd like to have a program/lifestyle that he can depend on to get him in shape. Since, I'd been thinking about diving into this myself, it works for me to have a real-life buddy to brainstorm with, and is supportive for him. Having the same meals in the house for supper will be beneficial. In conjunction, I'll still be working on my raw/fresh menus.
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Found this blog post -- Q&A about Clean Eating. Tosca posted in on Twitter, so she must think it's pretty good.

http://www.anediblemosaic.com/?p=2096

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Day 7...still with it and doing well. Harriet I didn't realize you hadn't had a soda for over a year. I'll add some back into my life after I reach my goal, but then think I will only drink one or two sodas a week.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm

No, no, Cowinkie, only no sodas in "this year" 2010 (so, one week), realizing I could keep it up beneficially, and deciding to continue for the month of January as my first month! LOL! I have allowed myself an occasional soda most of my life, although I have tried for decaf. I think sugarfree sodas I drank sometimes early in '09 were especially bad for me. I've since read that they are not good for digestion.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 pm

up a couple lbs since I've been working out more and
paying more attn. to what I'm eating but
it could be from salt tom ect. sigh oh well.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Thursday's Starship H&F Log

Harriet ~ My first inclination in the morning is a cup of coffee. :razz: I aim to change that.

• :!: 1 qt. of h2o before having anything else to drink: 3 days in a row - go me!
  • vitamins:
  • :!: exercise: :30 step - didn't feel too hot again today, so I made the step "light". At least I did it!
  • clean eating: Didn't renew my MenuMailer subscription, so I would be more focused on Clean Eating. MenuMailer was too easy to fall back on.
  • no eating after 6: still workin' on it.
  • :!: cutting back on coffee: still havent' decided about this.

In the Kitchen

2010 Sweat, Rattle, & Roll Stats - at least :15
Jan. :!: :!: - :!: :!: :!: :!:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 am

Down a pound yea!
Thanks SL
I have done my am workout on the cardio glide.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Healthy Habits”