Health and Fitness, January, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, January, 2010

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 pm

DGL Licorice (Deglycyrrhizinated) is the herb after glycyrrhetinic acids, associated with high blood pressure, have been removed. It is protective for the stomach in general and for a healthy stomach lining. You usually find it in chewable tablets for before meals.

I'm really happy for Smile Lee getting to go to an exercise workshop. What fun!
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Smile*L. I tried that diet detox w/ h. the year I got ill and had my health crisis
and decided it's not a good one for me!

Walked yesterday w/ dgd I pushed her in the stroller.
Need to rake a few leaves up and
another walk again more mild temps. for us here this week.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks for DGL info, Harriet. Yeah.. I enjoy the workshops, though I have been to a couple where it seemed that I knew more than the trainer. :razz: It was all I could do to keep my lip zipped. :lol: Carol has been around for a long time, though. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to know more than she does. Even so.. every workshop I've been to, I've picked up some valuable form tips.

Nancy ~ I don't know what you mean by "that diet detox".
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 pm

You mentioned in an earlier post Jordan Ruban
he had a new book out in 07 I think it was
and there was a cleanse in it that I though was what you were doing
with the juicing, any way I could be wrong.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh... I don't know about Jordan Rubin's cleanse. His main eating plan seems so well balanced. I've never seen a juicing cleanse of his. I've gleaned a lot of info from a lot of different sites and books for my juicing. A lot of juicing info today leans towards making your juices with a large percentage of greens, which doesn't spike the blood sugar like fruits and sweet veggies, like carrots. The sweeter things are only to add a hint of flavor.

I can see how juicing wouldn't be very good for you. I would think that fiber would be a huge factor for diabetic health. Even when I go all raw/fresh, I usually don't go over a day or two with all juice. I'll add in a raw soup or blended salad at the end of the day, which supplies a lot of fiber and some good fats.

The detoxing that I was talking about in my post above comes from moving the lymph system with T-Tapp exercises and massages. Especially with massages, they tell you to drink lots of water to help move the toxins out.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with the juice. There are so many wonderful concoctions that taste like pure sunshine. If you like juices, maybe adding a small glass ( 4oz. ) to your meals would be a compromise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:02 am

I can see how juicing would be both good and bad for someone controlling diabetes. I remember when HRH was testing and happened to eat watermelon - wow, what a spike! Yet, plants of most kinds are so good for diabetes. My only juice "recipe" is the kale/parsley/carrot/apple, and if it was heavy on the kale I think it would be fine. Too much apple and it might not.

I wanted to come in and say one more thing about DGL Licorice chewables. This is a site that is actually about ulcer prevention. The article is very long, but the important part for those of us who deal with stomach acid concerns or recurring stomach pain of any type is this statement, regarding why DGL Licorice taken as a chewable:

DGL may promote the release of salivary compounds which stimulate the growth and regeneration of stomach and intestinal cells.

In other words, it helps our bodies get back to the normal way they help themselves.

Later, I found this
Licorice flavonoids, as well as the closely related chalcones, help heal digestive tract cells.

Licorice root has a long history of use for soothing inflamed and injured mucous membranes in the digestive tract. Licorice may protect the stomach and duodenum by increasing production of mucin, a substance that protects the lining of these organs against stomach acid and other harmful substances.

In Truestar Encyclopedia of Health

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:28 pm

H&F Starship Log :arrow: wk 1/17 - 1/24

This wasn't too bad. Weight is stable - still in the 138's. At the beginning of the week I was 138.8, and today I'm 138.2. Gonna make a push to get into the 137's this week. I do notice that my appetite is not as big.

Ygs24 wants some help with Eat Clean meal planning this afternoon. Fun! I'm going to work on integrating more raw/fresh into the plan. She has 5 different sample menu plans in her book.
Cooler 1: a lot like phase 1 of South Beach
Cooler 2: a lot like phase 2 - adding in more complex carbs
Vegetarian:
Gluten Free:
Family:

Darth Virus is subsiding - feeling better I've exercised every day this week, so I'm happy rolling into the next. Even though today is my "rest" day, I still want to take a walk to get in my :15 minutes.

• Exercise:
  • Sun:
  • Mon: standing/floor
  • Tues: strength/condition @ rec ctr.
  • Wed. :oops:
  • Thurs: strength/condition @ rec ctr.

2010 Sweat, Rattle, & Roll Stats - at least :15
Jan.
:!: :!:
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
:!: :!: :!: :!:
Weight: Down 13! start 149 - current 136 - goal 130
Last edited by Smile*Lee on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:42 pm

I've only had tomato and V-8 type juice after becoming diabetic.
Yesterday we had soup for lunch and I wanted raisin bran for dinner
have not had that much in the past couple of years. 58 carbs. oh m y goodness
but boy it tasted great! In the hospital the
dietitian ed. said only 30-40 carbs to keep my weight down that did not work.
But at least I'm healthier now.

The Dr. Phil plan I was on said to avoid juice
that it was better to get the fiber and chewing
action to give the brain the message it was actually getting
food and more satisfying. I can't have much fruit because of the fruitouse in it
and it acts just like sugar in my system. [As does flour wheat rice & noodles and milk products.]
So I've been re-learning how to eat the past couple of years.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

It was time to retire my first 2010 half-month Healthy Habits Card yesterday and make a new one. In half a month, I reached at least 12 out of 14 points 7 times.

Today was a good scale day, 146.5, so 1 more pound down, 1.5 to go to reach 145 by Valentine's Day.

I never have paid much attention to weekly weighing, but if Mondays were weigh-ins, I lost 1.5 in one week, 3.5 in 18 days of the new year. Hmmm... ... I think that's a lot and don't quite understand it, except that I'm paying such close attention to each thing I eat, suspiciously. :| But I am paying no attention to how much. I've allowed myself the treat of mac and cheese twice this week, so it can't all be the low-carb thing. Oh, of course, no sodas, but that shouldn't change things that much? Maybe December was just a big-eating month and I didn't realize it? It's true that the 150 was a recent high I wanted to just bounce off of. (155 has been my "no-no" number, so I wasn't in such bad territory.) I'm just not used to things going this close to plan on the scale!

I could not wrap my brain around the red meat, so that roast has not been repeated yet. I've had broiled fish several days this past week. I feel much better about that as a lean protein. One thing that is different about them is that fish seems so easily digested. I tried potato-battered fried fish once (this was a new-to-us frozen food product, one of the regular name brands, which I chose because white flour would be minimal). HRH loved it, but the broiled was much better to me.

Exercise - mostly walking lately, of course, and walking workouts. I miss the "Amazon Woman!" feeling after completing the regular workouts, but these are healthy for me right now I think.

Grocery - enjoyed Stouffer's spinich souffle, which seemed to be pretty good for me. Not too far from God-made, it's creamy-ish, so gives the feeling you've had a treat. Drawback - no one here will eat it with me except my dmom.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Good scale day for me too
I've lost half of the 6 lbs. I put on in Dec. yea!

Return to “Healthy Habits”