Health and Fitness, February, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, February, 2010

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:08 am

February is the month to appreciate our many different loving relationships - and did you ever think - they bring us health! There is a proven health boost to caring about others, and knowing others care for and are interested in us.

"Positive emotions, compassion and happiness help us to feel better, particularly in stress, and further they improve bodily functions: Love, compassion and joy make our immune system function better and help to battle diseases. Engaging in joyful activities may activate areas in the brain responsible for emotion, attention, motivation and memory, and it may further serve to control the autonomic nervous system, i.e., stress reduction."

- Dr. George.B. Stefano, Neuroscience Research Institute, State University of New York

What a fun January we had in our thread here. So many posts about changes and plans, new ideas and lots of stick-to-itive-ness. :idea: Congratulations to everyone! Check the January thread for inspiration, and hop right in here with us to chat about making February healthy and fit.

Welcome!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, February, 2010

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 pm

Got to count shopping this morning;
and got my walk in this afternoon.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm

I lost another half-pound by yesterday a.m. and held it today.

So, my loss for January was 4.5 pounds. I have one-half pound left to go to my Valentine's Day "Calendar Event Goal".

Things probably happened faster than I expected because we had a lot of stress here, with HRH's sudden kidney stone scare. Or maybe the couple holiday pounds were just easier to shed because they hadn't been around long.

I continue to learn about proper diet and lifestyle for managing acid reflux.

HRH did the proactive medical test in the family for January, I guess. He had the colonoscopy recommended for age 50+ folks.

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I did my measuring for the month and I was down in almost every area. But my weight was down only .4# My trainer measured me with her tool for BMI and I was down 2.5%.
When I mentioned how frustrating it was to eat within my calorie range, drink water, exercise and not really see a drop in the scales, she asked how much protein I'm eating. When I told her, she said I needed to up my protein intake significantly and that it will boost my energy levels as well. So I will be interested in seeing any changes that this change will bring. It will mean less carbs except those that come through veggies, so we'll see. So I bought some steak that was on sale and will saute some mushrooms and serve those with some yams and broccoli. Red meat is not common in our house, but tonight's the night! After this, I will just add tuna or chicken to my lunch salad and increase the amount of protein in my nightly meal.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 pm

I've lost 4 of the 6 pounds I found in Dec. so that's good news!

After lunch I swept and mopped the kitchen
and dinning room plus I vacuumed upstairs!
Then walked around the block.

Counting this for my exercise today.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks for starting us off, Harriet. You are so consistent in your healthy habits.

Nancy, BWTG!

Lurky, it will be interesting to read how the added protein changes your results. I have found if I up my fat just a bit that it will jump start a little weight loss. Now I'm thinking maybe it's not the fat but the protein I'm getting?

I'm doing ok. Did not lose what I wanted in Jan., but held my own and I start off February 1 lb down. For me that is progress and I'll take any amount!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Did not get a walk in yesterday
but numerous trips up and down the stairs doing laundry;
and lifting dgdaughter counted as my exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:05 am

LurkyLou, I would rate inches of #1 importance, BMI a close second and what the scale tells you privately as a distant third. Who cares what the scale says if you are smaller and healthier? I mean, unless someone is actually going to pick you up to see what they think of you! :D

Excellent that you have misplaced those holiday pounds, Nancy. You are always able to bring it back in line when you make up your mind.

Your health trend has been positive for a long time, Harmony, good job. Are you still biking now or has weather stalled you for awhile?

I am missing seeing Smile Lee. Hope she feels well.

:idea: I officially weigh 145 today, Feb 7 :idea: so a week early to my Calendar Event Goal. I decided I'd post before I even had my water so I could honestly tell you, not an ounce over! :lol: (I tell you guys and my children - that's about it!) That's 5 pounds down since Jan 1st. My measurements were down - 1/2 inch at waist since Jan 1st.

I am not forgetting that I said I want to be "circling 140" at the end of this year. I need to make a big note for my desk cabinet (in my face often) that says that and not take it down until then. I don't know what goal I will make further right now. Maybe it's time for another exercise goal without scale numbers, or maybe I'll stick with numbers a while. I'll try to have a new goal to post by Valentine's Day.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm here!! Sorry I've been MIA. I kinda got caught up in the T-Tapp forums again after doing a workshop w/a trainer a couple of weeks ago, and now doing an online month-long Booty Camp challenge with another trainer. We're a week into it and my booty has been sore every day! Hopefully, it will get used to it pretty soon. I've already felt some changes in that area, hopefully they can be seen too! Lani, the trainer, has set dietary guidelines too. I get in my fruits and veggies most of the time, but not beans and whole grains, so I'm concentrating on getting those in this month. Lani introduced us to Dr. McDougall which she has followed for years. I've been doing beans and brown rice, and I could swear it makes me feel calmer.

Here are the main dietary things I'm learning about right now.
http://www.eatcleandiet.com/ - this really isn't a diet per say - but a balanced way of eating - imo
http://www.drmcdougall.com/
http://www.drmcdougall.com/medical.html

I caught up a little bit -- so...

Harmony - I will check on the coffee - hopefully sometime next week. I have to go to Indy today. My mom's having surgery tomorrow. Yeah.. I really don't know if it's the acid that makes me ill, but something in the coffee does. After about 3 days of other coffees, my eyes start getting irritated, my head feels tight - I just feel kind of toxic.

Harriet - we're still working on the Eat Clean Diet. Ds24 likes it. He likes that he has his snacks with him at work and keeps him from eating junk. Knowing that I've made supper for him at home keeps him from stopping to buy burgers and fries if he has to work late or has other events in the evening. I keep trying to give him tips about how to use the delis and salad bars and homemade convenience foods at the store to keep him on track when he ends up doing this himself after he moves out.

Haven't weighed myself lately. I fluctuate back and forth between 137 & 138 right now - so I've stayed pretty much the same for a month. Just glad I haven't gone up. After I get back from Indy, I'll do another push maybe.
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:46 am

I agree Harriet that inches and BMI are the more important measurements, but I have a ways to go and pounds lost will be a part of that. And the protein is definitely helping! I have my energy back and (until the day after yesterday's party!) I'm down about 2.5#. I'm so close to the next "decade" that it's tantalizing. Unfortunately, it didn't stop me from eating carbs that I shouldn't have, so I can feel the extra sodium in me. I'm sure it'll be gone by tomorrow when I see the trainer. I tested my energy level yesterday by running on the treadmill alternating with walking. I ended up running for 20 minutes, walking 25 and felt great afterwards!
Congratulations on reaching your goal 7 days early!! WhooHoo! BWTG!!

Return to “Healthy Habits”