Healthy thinking

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Healthy thinking

Postby Lynlee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:08 am

Since I mentioned Irrational thinking I thought I'd post a link here
- Same site talks of ABCDE's and CBT

If you want to skip the life story part about Ellis - Scroll down about 2/3 the page to the heading Theory.

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/ellis.html
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Re: Healthy thinking

Postby Lynlee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:21 am

Since this came up (its always easier to recognise something when someone else writes about it) I've been thinking of how I relate to these or variations on the theme.

delete my experience.
sry.
too lonely
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Self - Sovereignty
Subservience to my negativity is a very precarious existence as I can never be sure how well I will handle a difficult situation. With practice it is possible to create appreciative and compassionate thoughts; then I no longer need to indulge in resentment, bitterness or dislike. Training myself to react calmly and wisely offers enormous dividends. Let me talk to myself silently with love and encouragement, balanced with firmness, and like the wise old sovereigns of fairy stories, let me rule the inner kingdom of my mind with benevolence.
from thought of the day

Seems like this ties in with prev quotes, though coming from a much different and ancient philosophy.
Trying to retrain my mind into positive ways.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Ooohhh... good thoughts, Lynlee. Thanks for sharing.

Could you also share what you were talking about earlier -- something Harriet had said about re-training/reprogramming thoughts, or something like that? I definitely need to put my mind through some reprogramming. :roll: :D
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 am

Lucy - I think that comment related to posts in about 3 different forum so My mind is a bit scrambled about it now to find all the threads of it.

I think I posted about changing my expectations of others - then deleted...

re reprogramming.
I have long term tendency to negative thoughts. One thing I learned in hospital was for negative automatic thoughts - that just come without any activating event - was to make a short personal positive statement and run it through my mind often. Aim was to change internal faulty beliefs. I learned it took 13 positive thoughts to counteract one negative one. Eventually I chose "I want to be ok" as my statement (I was really not ok back then), and said it 15 times each time I had a negative thought dash past. I'd tried other things to say that that seemed to work best at that time.
Not sure what my current statement is.
Maybe my list of atributes I would like, and wish to others. peace, strength, light, love, courage , compassion, hope , health, wisdom, joy, and sometimes truth is in that list. Particularly the first 4 I use.
I send those things (like a prayer) to others I worry about too. Its my way of asking God for what is best for all.

Sometimes I ask God to deal with .........(whoever) cos they are beyond what I can deal with/manage and I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes the prayer is for me, cos left to my own devices I can make a hash of things.

And certainly I'm glad I'm not God this week (or ever) needing to have the answers and fix everything.

If you are willing to post about anything you want to change your thinking about, it can be done.
Have hope for a different future. It will take some work though. The magic wands are out of stock.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 am

Just want to add - the best "antidote" is one you make up yourself when you look at whatever belief you have that isn't helpful, the effect that has on you, then you chose something that will work at replacing the faulty thinking.

We can take this discussion somewhere "private" if that would suit you better.

GL
Just begin.
Living this day, today

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm okay with it here, Lyn, b/c all you've said would probably be very helpful to anyone who might be interested in correcting negative or anxious thoughts. But if you have something to tell me that you think should be handled in a PM, that's certainly okay, too.

Thinking about what you said about 13 positive thoughts are needed to overcome 1 negative thought. Definitely need to remember that. I think I probably should write down some affirmations/positive thoughts to read throughout the day every day.

I'm really doing okay right now. And I guess I have been doing some of what you're saying. It occurred to me that OF COURSE I want ds to be happy -- and I think he wants this -- a successful, happy marriage & family -- MUCH more than he wants fame and fortune or anything like that... so OF COURSE I should be thrilled and supportive as one of his biggest dreams in life apparently comes true! It's insane to be anything but happy about all that is happening in our little corner of the world today.
And if God can and apparently IS working out all the details for ds, with the house and everything, then He certainly can work out the social fears for ME.
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Lucy - I have noticed you seem calmer recently. Congratulations - well done, with whatever divine help - its still well done cos we can take back from dGod our plea for assistance.
One thing - without wanting to set you "off" - do some preparations for the event - whenever that might be.
I guess theres 2 things.
One is wishing what is best for the young couple.
2nd is asking for help to change in yourself to enable you to cope with whatever is needed within, and with future activities. Its building a stronger you -I assure you its easier that way than constantly floundering.
The stronger you get in preparation the better - imo. tc.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Return to “Healthy Habits”