Health and Fitness, April, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, April, 2010

Postby lucylee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:19 am

Lucylee, reporting for duty. Day one (Monday) -- 15 min. Walk away the Pounds.
I know 15 minutes isn't much, but it's a start, and if I could just be consistent with even that much, I'd be doing sooo much better.
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 am

15 minutes a day, LucyLee -that's a great goal and most likely doable for most of us. Do you remember having that exercise thread some years back -were you around the old boards? The goal was to string lots of days together managing at least 15 minutes a day. I can remember doing 3 or 4 hundred days in a row and then I fell off that wagon. I will commit to that 15 minutes a day with you, if you want to GO.

I propose that 15 minutes a day for each of us and I will start today and post that accomplishment each day with the number of days in a row. Here we go>>>>>>>> Anyone?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm definitely in! Day before yesterday I took my first bike ride since I broke my hand. It is doable again at a slow speed. I'm off to try the eliptical right now.

Editing to report I was able to do the eliptical but not for 15 minutes. I did go at it a good speed. And then I walked a little in our neighborhood for the rest of the 15 minutes. I can positively say the eliptical is definitely more exercise and harder than just walking down the street.
Last edited by Harmony on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I did three extra laps around the super wal-mart when I was getting groc. today
I'm counting that! Had lean turkey dinner sausage for lunch and could not tell a difference
in it and the other. Did a 45 min. walk before granny duty started today that felt good.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Gee, there's all this COMMITMENT overflowing here! Wow, I may have to find 15 mins per day... .... I'm looking, I've got it here somewhere... ... :D

OKay, I continue to be impressed with a supplement I've mentioned here a few times during my acid reflux battle. DGL Licorice is licorice root with the one questionable component removed. It comes in a chewable tablet that is kinda tasty after you get used to it. Although I take it to soothe tummy pain related to acid (tests showed I don't happen to have an ulcer), It is ulcers for which it is most tested. It is proven to help heal ulcers and makes as much difference as some acid reducers do, they've proven. Look it up on the net and see the research. I showed it to the dr I saw today and he also okayed it for me, as my GP has already done. Neither saw any problem with it. (Dr. today also wants me to give aloe vera juice another try. Bleeck. But I will try. I believe he wrote down the brand name Aloe Life - I'll look it up.)

Also, OKay, remember that you can get over-the-counter UTI tests, 3 to a pkg, at any drug store.

Very good visit with new dr. DVetNeighbor was right (she usually is!) he is super intelligent, and very comforting and wise, helpful as a dr should be. My blood work is done and he will see me again mid-month to let me know in what ways he might be able to help me. We will wait on any meds for my thyroid to see if he learns that hormone tweaking might positively affect it.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 am

:oops: Well, I already missed a day. * sigh * I will do better today.
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 am

Lucy - " wanting to do it" is the start of your new habit.

I didn't always walk each/most days. Today I walked an hr at dusk. Thats the size of my "big" block. (lol - there are other ways to walk.
I started with 7 min each way. Just up the street and back.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

Today I am going to other house to work on cold-damaged landscaping. I am going to stay there and do as much as I possibly can. There will be lots of bending and lifting, raking, and walking back and forth with garden cart. For sure I'm counting this as my day's exercise.

Editing to add: I was there for 6 hours of mostly muscle-building, straining, stressing, pulling. Only a couple walks pulling the garden cart back and forth so no aerobics, but I can tell my muscles got a good workout.

I also got at least a month's worth of vit. D because my arms/legs/face is slightly pink!
Last edited by Harmony on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:49 am

And well you should, Harmony! I managed to walk my 15 yesterday but it was tight. Will get that in before I go to DSisIL's this afternoon. Need to get out there while it's still a bit shady and not quite so warm. BBL to report in.

1 day in a row (Tuesday) and counting :lol: 8-)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:11 am

I slept well last night yea!!!

Return to “Healthy Habits”